Big Stone Lake Area Community Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place where Big Stone Lake (and surrounding) area citizens can discuss area news, events and matters of concern.

PortalHomeGalleryWho is the League of Minnesota Cities? Coolte22Latest imagesSearchWho is the League of Minnesota Cities? Coolte24Log inRegister

Who is the League of Minnesota Cities?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Lady Hawk
Admin
Admin
Lady Hawk

Number of posts : 622
Job/hobbies : Wife/Mother
Registration date : 2008-05-16

Who is the League of Minnesota Cities? Empty
PostSubject: Who is the League of Minnesota Cities?   Who is the League of Minnesota Cities? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 11, 2009 8:01 am

In all of my reasearch and observations of the Ortonville City Council meetings there is one name that continually surfaces. At first it was just a name that was ignored, but the name wouldn't go away and one has to wonder who they were and why were they considered the end of any discussion. If the League of Minnesota Cities says it, then it is so.

The League of Minnesota Cities is a private insurance company who insures the city government. My understanding is this insurance company is the only city government insurance company in the state. This leaves no option for local city government to "shop around for the best buy." They are it.

Perusing various towns in MN who have their minutes on the internet at some point or another you find a reference to the League. When I read the "about me" pages of various government officials and employees around the state many of them are past board members or in some way have been associated with the League of MN Cities. The League of MN Cities sends out regular bulletins and information to the Cities that they insure. I have been told that when new people are elected to city councils they are invited to come to the League and have "training."

It is the league of MN Cities that Ortonville City Administrator David Lang kept refering to when he hauled Police Chief Curt Horman to the city council on charges. He didn't refer to the City Attorney. He was getting his advise from the League when he charged Chief Horman. The League informed Mr. Lang that he could bring the charges on the Chief to the city council instead of the police commission. Every answer that Mr. Lang gave was that the League said it was ok.

When Artie Arndt and Dan Oakes collected their data on the benefits of outsourcing the police department they referred to the League in their research.

Who is this uncircumcised Philistine who meddles in the affairs of a small town?
Back to top Go down
mouthpiece
Power Poster
Power Poster
mouthpiece

Number of posts : 721
Registration date : 2008-05-15

PostSubject: A Big Insurance Company with no check   Who is the League of Minnesota Cities? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2009 9:42 pm

Ladyhawk

I appreciate this thread because it is so timely. At a national level we are looking at insurance companies as alleged that insurance companies tend to be aimed at profits and are arbitrary and capricious.

You and I have looked at a number of minutes from meetings where the league is promoting regionalism and developing policies that are contrary to the best interests of small communities that are not the regional centers.

In fact, the league is promoting combining county-policing with local cities as a way to increase their profits and shift the burden to the counties.

The problem with this gigantic insurance company is that there is no check. If the League said it, it must be right.

However I am unaware that the league has the right to shift financial risks to the counties so as to minimize risks associated with insuring law enforcement.

Does this sound like the complaints made by the Dem's that insurance companies are out of control?

This insurance company has way to much power and needs to be bridled. If they want to change the law they should have to legislate instead of creating their own policies with their own agenda's.

This insurance company is disrespectful of the citizens and treats you and I as just another person in the way of their profits. We need to be careful of the cavalier responses of this big insurance company.

The last time I checked they were not appointed as the city attorney and they are not elected officials of the City of Ortonville.

Who is this company responsible to? Profits?
Back to top Go down
Zorro
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Zorro

Number of posts : 112
Job/hobbies : Education/Animal Rescue
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Who is the League of Minnesota Cities?   Who is the League of Minnesota Cities? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2009 11:19 pm

Another group that has morphed into something else is AARP. They have become an insurance company. Their alleged support of health care reform is based on their hope to sign up millions of Americans under the new gov't program
money .
It's only logic that tells us they are not interested in what's best for seniors or the country any longer. They are now a company, with a product and a ledger.
I've canceled my membership and expressed my disappointment that they continue to pose as advocates for seniors.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who is the League of Minnesota Cities?   Who is the League of Minnesota Cities? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Who is the League of Minnesota Cities?
Page 1 of 1