A place where Big Stone Lake (and surrounding) area citizens can discuss area news, events and matters of concern.

PortalHomeCalendarGalleryFAQSearchLog inRegister

Share | 

Hydroelectric Power

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ls73

Number of posts : 12
Job/hobbies : geocaching, genealogy, biking, hiking
Registration date : 2008-07-28

PostSubject: Hydroelectric Power   Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:29 pm

After hearing different views on wind power I am curious what people think about hydroelectric power. It has pros/cons just like any other source of power generation and I'd like to know what people think.

Anyone??
Back to top Go down
mouthpiece
Power Poster
Power Poster

Number of posts : 721
Registration date : 2008-05-15

PostSubject: Windpower is not the long term answer to energy issues.   Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:57 am

I think wind power is the transition of producing power from oil products. In the end the dowside is unsightly turbines. There is also some scientific evidence that these turbines may have an effect on animals.

It is a necessary evil for this country to commence wind power but it is not the answer. The future is still in the air.
Back to top Go down
Lady Hawk
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 622
Job/hobbies : Wife/Mother
Registration date : 2008-05-16

PostSubject: wind power...alternate energy   Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:52 am

I have not studied wind power and can only view it from the perspective of a spectator. The idea sounds great. It is something to look into, viewing both the pro and the con. If people want to do it they should do so responsibly. It is great to have alternate energy.

Our citizens may be deceived for awhile, and have been deceived;
but as long as the presses can be protected,
we may trust to them for light.
- Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Lady Hawk on Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
joelie hicks
Power Poster
Power Poster

Number of posts : 262
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Hydroelectric Power   Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:02 am

Go to the sites that I referenced in a different post and you will see a host of problems with wind, particularly industrial wind. We should be watching and learning from the places that have had it before us, both in this country and abroad.
There are 4 or 5 companies that want to be here in SD, will they join forces and use a common transmission line? NO! Why? because the money is in the T lines, so much for being green, so much for caring about the environment. Most of the money will ultimately come from our tax $$$ so we pay twice.
Think about the amount of energy and materials to make these turbines and poles, the roads on private land that are created to construct them, the cost to transport them, and they are high maintenance.
I believe if the government got completely out of the energy picture, that a combonation of market forces and human ingenuity would do wonders.
We have become acccustomed to feeding out of the public trough.
My family stands to make $$$ w/this, but some things are more important than $$$, such as future generations having to deal with the detritus of this scam.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hydroelectric Power   

Back to top Go down

Hydroelectric Power
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1