Big Stone Lake Area Community Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place where Big Stone Lake (and surrounding) area citizens can discuss area news, events and matters of concern.

PortalHomeGalleryNebraska introduces bill to restrict Health Care Laws. Coolte22Latest imagesSearchNebraska introduces bill to restrict Health Care Laws. Coolte24Log inRegister

Nebraska introduces bill to restrict Health Care Laws.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Lady Hawk
Admin
Admin
Lady Hawk

Number of posts : 622
Job/hobbies : Wife/Mother
Registration date : 2008-05-16

Nebraska introduces bill to restrict Health Care Laws. Empty
PostSubject: Nebraska introduces bill to restrict Health Care Laws.   Nebraska introduces bill to restrict Health Care Laws. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 11:20 pm

Nebraska is "kicking-back" and has introduced a bill that, should it pass, will likely challenge Obamacare, should it ever see the light of day. We should expect to see other states follow in kind. (Three "should's" in two sentences. "Is that legal?")

http://www.nebraskalegislature.gov/FloorDocs/Current/PDF/Intro/LR289CA.pdf

LR 289CA LR 289CA
ONE HUNDRED FIRST LEGISLATURE
SECOND SESSION
LEGISLATIVE RESOLUTION 289CA
PROPOSED CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENT
Introduced by McCoy, 39; Carlson, 38; Christensen, 44; Coash, 27;
Fulton, 29; Harms, 48; Janssen, 15; Krist, 10;
Lautenbaugh, 18; Price, 3; Schilz, 47; Utter, 33.
Read first time January 13, 2010
Committee:
1 THE MEMBERS OF THE ONE HUNDRED FIRST LEGISLATURE OF
2 NEBRASKA, SECOND SESSION, RESOLVE THAT:
3 Section 1. At the general election in November 2010 the
4 following proposed amendment to the Constitution of Nebraska shall
5 be submitted to the electors of the State of Nebraska for approval
6 or rejection:
7 To add a new section 31 to Article I:
8 I-31 Because all people should have the right to make
9 decisions about their health care, no law shall be passed that:
10 (1) Restricts a person’s freedom of choice of private
11 health care systems or private health plans of any type;
12 (2) Interferes with a person’s or an entity’s right to
13 pay directly for lawful medical services; or
14 (3) Imposes a penalty or fine of any type for choosing to
15 obtain or decline health care coverage or for participation in any
-1-
LR 289CA LR 289CA
particular health care 1 system or health plan.
2 Sec. 2. The proposed amendment shall be submitted to the
3 electors in the manner prescribed by the Constitution of Nebraska,
4 Article XVI, section 1, with the following ballot language:
5 A constitutional amendment to provide that no law shall
6 be passed that restricts a person’s freedom of choice of
7 private health care systems or plans of any type, that
8 interferes with a person’s or an entity’s right to pay
9 directly for lawful medical services, or that imposes a
10 penalty or fine for choosing or declining health care
11 coverage or participation.
12 For
13 Against.
-2-
Back to top Go down
Zorro
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Zorro

Number of posts : 112
Job/hobbies : Education/Animal Rescue
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Nebraska introduces bill to restrict Health Care Laws.   Nebraska introduces bill to restrict Health Care Laws. Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2010 4:54 am

Lady Hawk
I goofed -- When I passed this on to you, I said "bill," but this is actually a resolution. If passed, it will put this proposed Constitutional Amendment on the Nebraska ballot. There are other ways to get it before the voters -- petition, for example -- if this resolution doesn't get voted on or passed.
This time of year I read hundreds of bills and resolutions -- sorry I didn't clarify on this one when we talked.
There are many initiatives across the US to take on faulty aspects of health care reform. States are posturing. Nebraska has had a unique role so far, between Sen Ben Nelson's critical 60th Senate vote after securing two key provisions (no federal funds for abortion and federal funding for health care's mandates for Nebraska) and this resolution. The "Cornhusker Kickback" (Sen McCain coined the phrase) was initially seen as Nelson simply "selling his vote." I think people are now catching on to Nelson's drift -- Abortion funding was a no go for his vote; securing federal funding for Nebraska in perpetuity was an opening for other states to demand the same -- Obama care isn't just doggoned expensive, it levies a heavy invoice on the states to fund it themselves. While Ben is doing his part in the Senate, members of the state legislature are trying to draw their own line, preparing for a legal battle on whether the compulsive nature of Obamacare is constitutional. It worked for public education -- people can opt out and school their own children, establish charter schools, or in some states get vouchers for sending their children to private schools. Bottom line -- It ain't gonna be over for a while, even after the confetti flies.
So sorry for earlier error -- I know this dents your reliance on me as an accurate source. Please forgive. I will try to regain your confidence. Thanks for doing what you do.
Back to top Go down
Lady Hawk
Admin
Admin
Lady Hawk

Number of posts : 622
Job/hobbies : Wife/Mother
Registration date : 2008-05-16

PostSubject: Good job Cornhuskers....   Nebraska introduces bill to restrict Health Care Laws. Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2010 7:00 am

Zorro, your reputation remains untarnished. okay Thanks for correcting the error. That is the beauty of the "New Media" is that corrections can be made by the input of anyone having knowledge. For my part as I look at my post it states that it is an amendment. I should have noticed it. Oh boy In any case the information is now more accurate.

What a clever idea for Nebraska. I knew they had the "right stuff." whee
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nebraska introduces bill to restrict Health Care Laws.   Nebraska introduces bill to restrict Health Care Laws. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Nebraska introduces bill to restrict Health Care Laws.
Page 1 of 1