Big Stone Lake Area Community Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place where Big Stone Lake (and surrounding) area citizens can discuss area news, events and matters of concern.

PortalHomeGalleryNew Veteran's Organization at Northridge and Grace Home Coolte22Latest imagesSearchNew Veteran's Organization at Northridge and Grace Home Coolte24Log inRegister

New Veteran's Organization at Northridge and Grace Home

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Reporter
Super Poster
Super Poster
Reporter

Number of posts : 241
Job/hobbies : Report the news.
Registration date : 2009-08-04

New Veteran's Organization at Northridge and Grace Home Empty
PostSubject: New Veteran's Organization at Northridge and Grace Home   New Veteran's Organization at Northridge and Grace Home Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 9:11 am

By: Dan Meyer

The office hours for the Big Stone County Veterans Service Office are 7:30 am – 4:00 pm Monday through Friday. My office phone number is (320) 839-6398.

Flash News! I have spoken with representatives from both the Northridge Residence and Grace Home with respect to starting a Veteran’s Organization and I’m happy to report that it’s a go!

The first meeting at the Northridge Residence will be held on Wednesday, March 17 at 6:45 pm and at the Grace Home on Thursday, March 18 at 7:00 pm. Our groups will be meeting on a monthly basis (as much as possible). The veterans and I will be discussing various topics that pertains to our Nation’s veterans and projects that will help our communities.

With outreach dollars (grant funds), I will be providing each veteran with a military ball cap, bearing their branch of service, and a light jacket with their name and branch of service. The outreach dollars provided by the Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs grant funds, will also be used to provide desert and coffee at the meetings. This is a great way for me to honor these brave veterans and it’ll be a chance for me to spend time with them and learn of their sacrifices to the greatest Nation earth……The United States of America.

The main focus of this project is two-fold. One, to improve the quality of life of these veterans. Second, to foster group pride. I encourage the family members of our veterans who residence in the Northridge Residence and Grace Center to please call me for additional information.

What is a VA disability? Disability compensation is a tax-free benefit paid to a veteran for disabilities that are a result of or made worse by injuries or diseases that happened while on active duty, active duty for training, or inactive duty training. Disability compensation is also paid to certain veterans disabled from VA health care.

Who Is Eligible? You may be eligible for disability compensation if you have a service-related disability and you were discharged under other than dishonorable conditions.

How Much Does VA Pay? The amount of basic benefit paid ranges from $123 to $2,673 per month, depending on how disabled you are.

Note: You may be paid additional amounts, in certain instances, if: you have very severe disabilities or loss of limb(s); or you have a spouse, child(ren), or dependent parent(s), or you have a seriously disabled spouse.

How Can You Apply? You can apply by filling out VA Form 21-526, Veterans Application for Compensation and/or Pension. If you have any of the following material, please attach it to your application: Discharge or separation papers (DD214 or equivalent), dependency records (marriage & children's birth certificates), and/or medical evidence (doctor & hospital reports).

Until next week, take care and “Fair Winds and Following Seas!”
Back to top Go down

New Veteran's Organization at Northridge and Grace Home
Page 1 of 1