Big Stone Lake Area Community Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place where Big Stone Lake (and surrounding) area citizens can discuss area news, events and matters of concern.

PortalHomeGallerygetting used to forums Coolte22Latest imagesSearchgetting used to forums Coolte24Log inRegister

getting used to forums

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
LindaS
LindaS

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2010-04-08

getting used to forums Empty
PostSubject: getting used to forums   getting used to forums Icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 8:34 am

So....I tried to remove my membership from this forum because it was becoming a place for rumors to be aired and people were writing things like "I want an answer" which I thought was very sad for a forum or blog since it is supposed to be free of fishing. Attendance is not required on this forum so it's unfair to be airing rumors and asking people to defend themselves on a blog.

People should remember that this forum is available to people all over the world. It's not a private conversation. I have seen interest in our little community from a lot places and I hope they don't believe everything people write on this forum!

Memberships cannot be removed from this blog. Once you join they count you for life I guess. I wanted it to be known that I wasn't a member, wasn't reading rumors about myself or anyone else. Some forums allow fishing, like this forum. Free speech is free speech and I just want people to know that membership on this forum isn't necessarily a real live member, people are not removed from the list and a fake identity was made up so that the moderators could keep my posts on the forum. So other fake identities could be created anytime the moderators would like. It's not illegal it's just fake.

So rather than have my posts sitting there under a fake identity I thought I should get back on and explain. But I am not coming here to check on rumors. When the community sees unanswered posts they should know that no one is required to be here and a lot of posts are not worth answering.

Also note that all the posts can be altered long after they are posted. The Soviets did this a lot, rewriting history whenever it was convienient and anyone on this forum can go back and change or delete their own posts. At the bottom of posts I guess some fine print appears that lets you know the post was changed. So don't take past posts too seriously. My past posts, as far as I can tell, were not removed and not left under my name with a "no longer a member" note. I wonder how many other people wanted to remove their membership but couldn't get out gracefully. Does the "this post was edited" message always appear? Well maybe, I don't know.

I have noticed that the moderators get pretty emotional at times and do some name calling. This is a blog and there is no need to post while your angry unless you are going for the entertainment value.
Back to top Go down
jorge016
jorge016

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2009-04-29

PostSubject: Re: getting used to forums   getting used to forums Icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 5:36 pm

Are you talking about this forum? If you want to opt out of this forum-why wouldn't administrators allow you to do so? There must be an easy solution.
Back to top Go down
Lady Hawk
Admin
Admin
Lady Hawk

Number of posts : 622
Job/hobbies : Wife/Mother
Registration date : 2008-05-16

PostSubject: A post by any other name*...   getting used to forums Icon_minitimeThu Apr 08, 2010 9:00 pm

*...is still a post.

LindaS, sorry you are not happy with our policy but let me set the record straight. You stated you did not want your name on the site and didn't care if your posts remained but to remove your name. You never gave any indication as to what was supposed to replace your name. If you wanted your posts to say "no longer a member" then you were free to do so.

There are some other points to be made here.

1.) This site doesn't make rumors...it exposes them. If you know of a rumor on this site then please correct it. To my knowledge you have never complained that there was any rumor about you on this site. Therefore I can only conclude that there is are no unfounded rumors here.

2.) We do not allow phishing. If you see any phishing on this site then please report it. Everyones participation in guarding against phishing is appreciated.

3.) Anyone is free to edit or delete their own posts. People usually want to update old information or correct errors. I don't know what bothers you about that.

4.) You are responsible for what you write on the internet. If you don't want people to read what you write then don't write it.

5.) There are no fake identities. You came on and posted. You wanted your name removed. Your request was complied with. Does that make you a fake?

5.) As far as some members wanting an answer when members get out of hand they will be warned or banned. This site is civil in it's dialog. If something is inappropriate then hit the report button.

6.) There are some people who do not like to hear the truth and so instead of recognizing the error in their argument they go after the messenger. As far as "name calling" and "rumors" you have been near the top of the list for inappropriate behavior. If those kind of things bother you then I would suggest you don't do them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: getting used to forums   getting used to forums Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

getting used to forums
Page 1 of 1