A place where Big Stone Lake (and surrounding) area citizens can discuss area news, events and matters of concern.

PortalHomeCalendarGalleryFAQSearchLog inRegister

Share | 

U.N. Walks Back Meat and Climate Change Report

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
sarsansas

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2010-04-08

PostSubject: U.N. Walks Back Meat and Climate Change Report   Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:20 pm

From Center for Consumer Freedom:

Yesterday, we reported that University of California-Davis researcher Dr. Frank Mitloehner has documented a major flaw in a 2006 United Nations report about greenhouse gas emissions from livestock producers. Mitloehner found that the U.N.'s analysis of global transportation emissions was not as detailed as its review of meat production, creating an apples-to-oranges comparison. We felt yesterday’s news deserved a big audience, so we circulated a statement to the media. Today, the BBC reports that the U.N. has taken notice. One of the authors of the 2006 “Livestock’s Long Shadow” report now admits that its estimates unfavorably comparing emissions from livestock farms with those from transportation—a favorite talking point of anti-meat activists—are indeed unrealistic and unfair:

Pierre Gerber, a policy officer with the UN’s Food and Agriculture Organization, told the BBC he accepted Dr Mitloehner's criticism.

"I must say honestly that he has a point – we factored in everything for meat emissions, and we didn't do the same thing with transport," he said.

This is enormous news, and we’ll look forward to reading the U.N.’s retracted-and-revised global estimates. In the meantime, we’ll keep spreading the word that the EPA’s domestic inventory shows the U.S. livestock industry accounts for less than 3 percent of total emissions. Perhaps one day the anti-meat activists at PETA and HSUS will get the memo: We should be applauding eco-friendly American livestock farmers, not attacking them.
Back to top Go down
Pollyanna
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Number of posts : 100
Job/hobbies : Posts Calendar Events
Registration date : 2008-10-05

PostSubject: Re: U.N. Walks Back Meat and Climate Change Report   Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:24 pm

Here is a link to the article mentioned above. UN Walks Back Meat and Climate Change Report

For more information about the Center for Consumer Freedom website
and who they are here is a link to Wikipedia. Wikipedia Center for Consumer Freedom

"We can all play the glad game!"
Pollyanna
Back to top Go down
sarsansas

PostSubject: all is not lost   Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:25 pm

Oh yes CCF is ultra conservative. But often they post links to true news stories such as the UN report being amended. Looks like you prefer wikipedia like other mental giants of our times. The Center for Disease Control has some good news for us. Our food system is safer now in certain aspects than it was 96-98. Since CAFO's were invented the major food born diseases have declined.
"The lack of significant change in recent years is in contrast to trends from 1996, when FoodNet surveillance began, to 2004 (Figure 2). By 2008, in comparison with 1996--1998, modeled relative rates of infection with Yersinia had decreased 48% , Shigella had decreased 40% , Listeria had decreased 36% , Campylobacter had decreased 32% , and STEC O157 had decreased 25% , but Vibrio had increased 47% . The estimated incidence of infection with Cryptosporidium and Salmonella did not change significantly over this period."

And don't forget that commercial pork is not raised with hormones (USDA) . Commercial pigs don't stand in mud and manure and commercial pigs don't run free contaminating spinach fields in California.
Back to top Go down
mouthpiece
Power Poster
Power Poster

Number of posts : 721
Registration date : 2008-05-15

PostSubject: Are the Studies Accurate?   Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:23 pm

I have had an opportunity to read not only the report but a number of criticisms of the report. Before beginning we should first look at the flaws in both the UN Study and in Mitloehner study.

The UN study was intended to question the source of air pollution and many advocating the increase of vegetable consumption vs. animal consumption jumped on this bandwagon.

The UN has admitted the flaw in the study. However, the advocates of vegetables continue to support the analysis. The federal government initially bought into the fact that gas from cows caused air pollution and this site disagreed with this analysis. See Are Rural Politics Changing?

I oppose the use of poor studies. I promote farm products and the sale of safe farm produce.

The problem is equally as flawed with the Mitloehner study. Mr. Mitlehner’s study was paid for by the beef industry, this industry stands to gain financially from the study.

What does this mean to the rest of us? It means the Mitloehner study has limited value. The purpose of the study was to refute those who advocate the elimination of animal consumption to promote clean air. To read anything more into the study is flawed.

The reasoning of those who claim this Mitloehner study means he supports CAFO's are stretching the actual findings. The findings are limited to the purpose they were intended. Let's not read beyond the studies.

For those who continue to attack family farmers, why? Are you really advocating the elimination of the family farm? You still have not refuted reputable studies from Universities showing the negative effects of CAFO’s.
Back to top Go down
Lady Hawk
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 622
Job/hobbies : Wife/Mother
Registration date : 2008-05-16

PostSubject: A civil perspective on CAFO's   Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:58 pm

sarsansas wrote:
Oh yes CCF is ultra conservative. But often they post links to true news stories such as the UN report being amended. Looks like you prefer wikipedia like other mental giants of our times. The Center for Disease Control has some good news for us. Our food system is safer now in certain aspects than it was 96-98. Since CAFO's were invented the major food born diseases have declined.

"ultra conservative?....true news stories?....mental giants?.....food born diseases have declined?" Suspect

Thank you sarsansas for sharing your perspective. I must respectfully not agree with you though. Just because an organization that is funded by businesses does not make it ultra conservative. You would surly agree that
one should consider the possibility they may have self-serving motives and should be approached with caution. In the same vein one would question any news story linked by such a site as being a "true news story." One should still be discerning about what they read. While I agree that no website should be followed blindly, and I may on occassion not agree with what wikipedia may say, in this case it seems the information is accurate and there is no reason to belittle people who use it. Perhaps you didn't mean it that way but by saying "mental giants" some people may take that as a dig at their intelligence. As far as food born diseases declining that doesn't mesh with logic. There have been numerous reports and recalls over the past few years that lead me to believe that there are still some problems to deal with.

I am not totally against CAFO's because I understand that there is a need for the product and for now there are not enough farmers to produce it. On the other hand it would serve no great purpose to sugar coat the issues and ignore them just to justify their existence.

One other thing, the title. I know that the Brits speak english but the title of this story baffles me. This story comes out of Great Briton and the term "Walks Back" is not familiar to me. What does it mean? confused

Thanks for posting. It has been nice chatting with you. hibye

Our citizens may be deceived for awhile, and have been deceived;
but as long as the presses can be protected,
we may trust to them for light.
- Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
mouthpiece
Power Poster
Power Poster

PostSubject: Honesty   Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:31 pm

I continue to review this thread and find dishonesty in the tone. Borrowing from Mythoughts,
Quote :
meaning well is no excuse for poor fact checking. Meaning well can be very arrogant when it involves repeating garbage as if it were true. Posting any old crazy stuff without checking it's accuracy drives people off of forums.

To read so much into a study demonstrates bias and prejudice and gives a false allusion of accuracy. We need to be more careful about how we read through our filtered glasses.

I just hope you are not sitting on any committees that pretend to be neutral.
Back to top Go down
sarsansas

PostSubject: where is the bias?   Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:38 pm

Dishonest is a strong charge. This is a blog and secret identities are OK. The information is not fake, it's from a news story on the United Nations and from the Center for Disease Control.

The UN wrote and then decided to amend a report to show less air pollution from livestock than as originally published. The Center for Disease Control reports that there the incidence of major food born diseases is down from 1996 levels. EPA didn't approve any CAFO permits until 1998. All true.

Applauding eco friendly livestock operations only upsets people who do not believe in having livestock.

Mouthpiece is very hard to please and has the time and the access to drive comments off of the blog when he is not pleased. Congradulations mouthpiece.
Back to top Go down
mouthpiece
Power Poster
Power Poster

PostSubject: Now You Are Interrupting the Study   Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:30 am

You point to no studies and are merely intepreting studies. I merely pointed out to exaggerate the meaning of the studies is either unintentionally misleading or dishonest.

Continuing to suggest and insist that you are right becomes more evidence that you are intentionally abusing the study.

Show me the scientific studies that show that CAFO's are the reason the UN study was inaccurate. In logic we call this the link to the cause-effect relationship. This has always been the weakness to your logic. The fact that you insist on being right is more evidence of bias and prejudice than logical reasoning.

It is very obvious that you are not objective with good studies opposing CAFO's. You criticizing a neutral study on CAFO's is like Nancy Pelosi giving an objective discourse on health care studies.

If Grant County listens to you and Mr. Milner Milbank will be akin to Veblon. A ghost town!
Back to top Go down
sarsansas

PostSubject: Veblen's rising economic status   Tue May 04, 2010 12:20 pm

you mean Veblen, SD? just googling up some stats Veblen doesn't look like it will be a ghost town anytime soon.
from www.City-data.com......Milbank Population in July 2008: 3,203. Population change since 2000: -12.0% Veblen Population in July 2008: 254. Population change since 2000: -9.6% Household income data is fascinating.....Veblen's household income rose 40.9% and Milbanks rose only 22 % since 2000. When were the Veblen dairies built?

It looks like Veblen is actually flourishing compared to Milbank. When were the Dairy Dozen Veblen dairies built?
Back to top Go down
sarsansas

PostSubject: UN is not anti-livestock   Tue May 04, 2010 12:36 pm

The post "You point to no studies and are merely intepreting studies," I will just ignore since the "studies" are evident in my post. I don't know why anyone would want to take the livestock option away from farmers unless that person was against the eating of livestock. The vegetarian sensibility as practiced in religions world wide is a fine example of people living their beliefs as they bear witness to their beliefs but that is very different from people who hide their beliefs behind a facade of science. The UN study was crudely trying to estimate the relative cost to the environment caused by livestock farming worldwide. The study made some good points about developing countries' real needs and consequently it was not totally anti-livestock(since animal agriculture is essential). The estimates that equated the emissions of livestock with the emissions from transportation world wide were simply too far off to be useful.
Back to top Go down
joelie hicks
Power Poster
Power Poster

Number of posts : 262
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: Re: U.N. Walks Back Meat and Climate Change Report   Tue May 04, 2010 1:01 pm

Excel Dairy in Mn-permitted!
Veblen East and West in SD-Permitted!

There have been some violations around here to that have been reported, including permitting a place that have 7 wells within the setback distance and permitting a place that listed someone's land as manure acres that did not sign.

Once these places get started it is the too big to fail mentality that permeates even places such as the pollution control agencies.
A permit doesn't seem to mean a lot. Either a person is a good operator or they are not.

More and more studies are showing that spray fields and lagoons are an environmental nightmare.

As far as the city of Veblen is concerned, a trip up to the area belies the stats. Perhaps some of the reported income is income owed to the people in the area, that they might never see? I had a phone call two years ago from someone in Claire City who said that they can smell the Veblen East and West Dairies from their home. Veblen itself, caught between the two dairies-yuck!
Back to top Go down
joelie hicks
Power Poster
Power Poster

Number of posts : 262
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: Re: U.N. Walks Back Meat and Climate Change Report   Tue May 04, 2010 1:03 pm

Also, Milbank's income and population drop is possibly due to the loss of one insurance company and the reduction of another insurance company.
Back to top Go down
gks

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2008-10-30

PostSubject: Veblen Dairy Facilities   Tue May 04, 2010 2:06 pm

According to this article in the Marshall County Paper
http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=19802418&BRD=1971&PAG=461&dept_id=175429&rfi=6
Veblen West had a grand opening in June 2008, and according to
this State of Minnesota report, by July Veblen West was at maximum capacity in
their basins. And they weren't to be at full capacity until fall.
http://www.pca.state.mn.us/news/data/bdc.cfm?noticeID=282936&blobID=25999&docTypeID=4
The finding in this document shows that Veblen has probably never been in compliance.
Read page 10 of Minnesota's report on the Veblen facilities
And Madville Times today has a report showing more information on the bankrupcy of the Veblen dairy facilities.
http://madvilletimes.blogspot.com/
At least 4 of the Millner operations are now in bankrupcy, plus a big law suit filed last fall. And this is what was allowed to come in to South Dakota, all for economic development.
Back to top Go down
gks

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2008-10-30

PostSubject: Re: U.N. Walks Back Meat and Climate Change Report   Wed May 05, 2010 10:35 am

I missed a couple words in the above post. It should read as follows

Veblen West had a grand opening in June 2008, and according to
this State of Minnesota report, by July, Veblen West was at maximum capacity in
their basins. And they weren't to be at full capacity with cows until fall.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: U.N. Walks Back Meat and Climate Change Report   

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1