A place where Big Stone Lake (and surrounding) area citizens can discuss area news, events and matters of concern.

PortalHomeCalendarGalleryFAQSearchLog inRegister

Share | 

Exotic dancing coming to Big Stone City?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
fishstick

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2010-02-22

PostSubject: Exotic dancing coming to Big Stone City?   Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:30 pm

I heard a rumor that a local man wanted to open up a "club" in or near Big Stone City but Grant Co. will not issue anymore liquor licenses. So in order to do so a bar would have to be purchased in Grant Co. and the license moved. Anyone else heard anything like this?
Back to top Go down
Lady Hawk
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 622
Job/hobbies : Wife/Mother
Registration date : 2008-05-16

PostSubject: No dancing here.   Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:54 am

Hey fishstick,

I have done some checking around and find no credibility to this rumor. If someone wanted to open up such an establishment in the first place they would need to do it in an area with a population base to support it. I don't think such an base is in this area. That is merely an opinion based on observation and population base. In the other case if a person purchased a bar my understanding is that they would have to reapply for the liquor license. Licenses are not transferable from person to person. A review of the Big Stone City Minutes does not show any such application has been made. Nor am I aware of any liquor establishment in the area for sale.

There has been some work going on in the Big Stone City Council meetings for some time now to make an ordinance regarding such activities. You can check out the latest Big Stone City Council Minutes by going to the links section of this site. Attorney Coester is going to review a sample ordinance and hopefully the City Council will vote on it soon.

fishstick you have given us an opportunity to talk about an issue that the Big Stone City Council is dealing with and gives us an insight of what could possibly happen if people were not paying attention, It could have gotten started by someone talking about what would happen "if" and from there comes the rest of the story. Diligence is the price we must all pay to be sure of the safety and security of our home. It is best to be stay alert to potential problems and is good to get them out in the open and talk about them. I have been told that there is a law that says cities need to have a law in place regarding such an establishment before it starts. Once it is in place a city cannot make make a law (zoning) restricting it. That may be why the Big Stone City Council is addressing it now before we have any potential problems. I do hope the Big Stone City Council passes the ordinance soon to further protect our town.

Our citizens may be deceived for awhile, and have been deceived;
but as long as the presses can be protected,
we may trust to them for light.
- Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
Zorro
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Number of posts : 112
Job/hobbies : Education/Animal Rescue
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Exotic dancing coming to Big Stone City?   Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:02 pm

Oddly enough, I read about a case where an exotic dancing bar in western Nebraska ran up against this situation. I think it was North Platte and Cozad. I think it was a couple of years ago. (At that time my job required me to do a lot of newspaper and media work.) Dan McGuire, city council, proposed that the city set up an ordinance before such a business tried to move in. He was basically ridiculed, since no one knew of a business that wanted to come to town. Within a couple of months a company announced it was going to open an exotic dancing bar. I wondered at the time how that timing happened. It got pretty heated and I think he ended up opening his bar in Cozad. Sorry if I don't have the facts exactly straight, but if I didn't get the town names right, I did get the story itself right. Those towns are along an interstate with heavy truck traffic east and west. Any interstate community is vulnerable, whether they have anyone "looking" or not. I wonder what's at the bottom of this one, if anything. Seems like having an ordinance couldn't hurt.
Back to top Go down
Jimhau

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Exotic dancing coming to Big Stone City?   Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:45 pm

Not that I am for or against this club... talk about it is true to form for the surrounding area. For as long as I can remember everytime something new wanted to come into the area that would or possibly could be a boost for the communities it gets shot down before it has a chance. When I look back at what could be here now and what is.. well thats depressing.
Back to top Go down
http://www.gofasters.com
Zorro
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Number of posts : 112
Job/hobbies : Education/Animal Rescue
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Exotic dancing coming to Big Stone City?   Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:43 am

Let's look at the value of this particular enterprise. The consumable is alcohol (or non alcoholic beverages, if a license can't be procured). Will more people buy more drinks, boosting the local economy? Most likely, it will simply shift the spending of disposable income from one venue to another in the local community, resulting in a net gain of zero except for the jobs created. If it's locally owned, the money bounces around inside the local area. If it isn't, the money is siphoned out of the local area.
The greatest benefit of a local business is if it can bring in outside money, or return money normally spent outside back into the community by providing that local option.
Tourism, state or federal government jobs, "destination" attractions, motels and restaurants, gas stations -- these are some of the most likely candidates for attracting outside money into the community. I know of a very small town near a city that jumped early into the Keno craze -- they ended up having so much traffic from the city that they made more money than they could figure out how to spend. What a great problem to have! Today they have top notch utilities, every street is paved, there's a great park and a terrific community center. They put on a bang-up 4th of July display every year.
...Some things to think about in development. Another bar? Eh, not so much good.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Exotic dancing coming to Big Stone City?   

Back to top Go down

Exotic dancing coming to Big Stone City?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1