A place where Big Stone Lake (and surrounding) area citizens can discuss area news, events and matters of concern.

PortalHomeCalendarGalleryFAQSearchLog inRegister

Share | 

Good Samaritans in our midst

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Lady Hawk
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 622
Job/hobbies : Wife/Mother
Registration date : 2008-05-16

PostSubject: Good Samaritans in our midst   Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:07 am

I was recently asked "Who was the boss that made the greatest impression on you or who most influenced your life?" I told the following story about a job I had as a new receptionist in an office.

The Modern Day Good Samaritan

A new receptionist was at her desk when some of the other girls in the office stopped by to visit. In the course of the conversation they began talking about the previous receptionist and how dumb she was. "She was so forgetful one day when we had a big snowstorm she came to work without her snow boots. When we asked her about it she said she was in such a hurry to get out the door she forgot them." The office girls all laughed at how stupid that was. Another girl picked up the story. "The next day she came to work without her snow shoes again. She told us they were in the hall closet by the door but she was running late and forgot them again and after she was out to the car didn't want to run back in to get them." This brought on more laughs of amusement of how foolish the former receptionist was.

At this point the new receptionist was alarmed at the way the co-workers were laughing and interjected. "You shouldn't have laughed at her. Maybe she didn't have any snow shoes." "Oh, she had snow shoes alright;" someone replied. "The third day all of us girls were at the window watching for her to come to work. When she stepped out of the car she had her snow shoes on. She was just ditsy. We all had a good laugh at how it took her three days to remember her snow shoes."

The girls wandered off and the new receptionist dismissed it. Not long after that the boss came to the new receptionist and said "Come back into my office I want to talk to you." When in the office the following story was told by her boss. "I was listening to the girls talking to you and I don't want you to tell the others about this but since you caught on I wanted to let you know the rest of the story. After the receptionist came in the second day without snow boots I called her into my office and said to her 'You didn't forget your snow boots today, did you?' The girl dropped her head down, looking into her lap and sadly shook her head no. I then said, 'You don't own any snow boots, do you?' Again without raising her head she slowly shook it no. She was a single mother trying to put her life back together and money was tight for her. I took $20.00 out of my wallet and handed it to the girl and said, 'When you get off work tonight you are to take this money and go to the store and buy a new pair of boots. When you come in to work tomorrow I want to see boots on your feet.' The next day she had on her "new" snow boots when she came to work."

This gave me a new picture of what happened. There stands a group of women pressing their faces to the window, ready to have a laugh. The boss stands in the background silently watching them knowing that the receptionist will have them. The receptionist, being the recipient of an act of kindness by a good samaritan, saves face by wearing her new boots.

Each person in this story taught me a lesson. This thread was started to give credit to those people to whom following the principles of Christianity is something they do. If anyone else has a story to share, please do. We can all benefit by reading about such inspiring stories as these.

Our citizens may be deceived for awhile, and have been deceived;
but as long as the presses can be protected,
we may trust to them for light.
- Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
fishstick

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2010-02-22

PostSubject: Re: Good Samaritans in our midst   Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:52 pm

Awesome story! Imagine how bad that person felt being made fun of and yet felt go good being able to get something for herself. Great stuff.
Back to top Go down

Good Samaritans in our midst
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1