A place where Big Stone Lake (and surrounding) area citizens can discuss area news, events and matters of concern.
PortalHomeCalendarGalleryFAQSearchLog inRegister

Share | 

 Minnesota State Soldiers Assistance Program

Go down 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Number of posts : 721
Registration date : 2008-05-15

PostSubject: Minnesota State Soldiers Assistance Program    Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:29 am

By: Dan Meyer

The office hours for the Big Stone County Veterans Service Office are 7:30 am – 4:00 pm Monday through Friday. My office phone number is (320) 839-6398.

The Minnesota State Soldiers Assistance Program (SSAP). The Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs (MDVA) provides subsistence, dental and optical assistance to veterans and their dependents (spouse/children) based upon their current income and need. Here is some general information about the SSAP Program.

What is covered? For subsistence benefits, temporary financial assistance when veterans are disabled and cannot work at their normal occupation(s). Subsistence can assist with rent/mortgage payments, utility bills, groceries, etc. Veterans cannot receive subsistence from the Department of Veterans Affairs and other state/local assistance (such as GA) at the same time.

For dental benefits, a maximum of $1,000 per calendar year may be approved for veterans and their dependents. To qualify, veterans and their dependents must meet strict income and asset guidelines.

For optical benefits, a maximum of $400 for an eye examination and prescription eyewear may be approved once every calendar year for veterans and their dependents. To qualify, veterans and their dependents must meet strict income and asset guidelines.

How often can I do this? For subsistence benefits, the maximum length is six months; dental and optical benefits are granted on a yearly basis.

How does it work? For subsistence benefits, a current medical report is required. In addition, the applicant must be unable to work for at least 30 days. For dental and optical benefits, once your application is approved, you will receive an authorization letter; make an appointment with a local dentist or eye doctor; be sure to check and make sure that they will accept payment from the MDVA; take the authorization letter with you to your appointment so the doctor will know how to do their billing.

Who is eligible? Veterans and their dependents (spouse/children), provided the income/assets do not exceed the maximum allowed. Veterans must have had 180 consecutive days of active duty to qualify as a veteran for this program, and must be a Minnesota resident.

Until next week, take care and “Fair Winds and Following Seas!”
Back to top Go down
Minnesota State Soldiers Assistance Program
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Big Stone Lake Area Community Forums :: Everything Military :: VA-
Jump to: