Big Stone Lake Area Community Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place where Big Stone Lake (and surrounding) area citizens can discuss area news, events and matters of concern.

PortalHomeGalleryEver heard of Joel Salatin? Coolte22Latest imagesSearchEver heard of Joel Salatin? Coolte24Log inRegister

Ever heard of Joel Salatin?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
joelie hicks
Power Poster
Power Poster
joelie hicks

Number of posts : 262
Registration date : 2008-09-21

Ever heard of Joel Salatin? Empty
PostSubject: Ever heard of Joel Salatin?   Ever heard of Joel Salatin? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2009 10:08 pm

If you have not it is time to get aquainted.
He has written a lot of 'hands on' type books about getting started in agriculture, particularly eco agriculture. "Salad Bar Beef", "Pastured Poultry Profit$", "Holy Cows and Hog Heaven", "You Can Farm" and "Family Friendly Farming" explains how to get started with a small amount of cash. He has a dvd that takes you through his whole farm so you can see the pasture rotation, the egg mobile etc.
But the book that could have the most impact is "Everything I Want To Do Is Illegal:War Stories From the Local Food Front". It is a book for everyone. He explains in a way that is entertaining, yet serious, the problems that are facing us concerning the food we eat.
He takes on liberals, conservatives, organics, zoning boards, county commissions, factory farms, bureaucrats in general and especially the USDA, who he calls US Duh.
He spoke recently at St. Peter Mn to a sustainable ag group. I really wanted to go, but when I called a week in advance, they were full. Some people who went said that the room of 450 was completely packed as was an overflow room that held 250, and they turned another couple hundred away. The only notice was a mailing to sustainable ag people and a tiny notice in ACRESusa magazine, so I believe his influence is growing apace, to which I say "Amen, Alleluia".
If you have a spare $20 or so you can get it on amazon.com. i am thinking of ordering a second lending copy to spread the word.
Back to top Go down

Ever heard of Joel Salatin?
Page 1 of 1