A place where Big Stone Lake (and surrounding) area citizens can discuss area news, events and matters of concern.

PortalHomeCalendarGalleryFAQSearchLog inRegister

Share | 

ORTONVILLE CITY COUNCIL MEETING AGENDA

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
mouthpiece
Power Poster
Power Poster

Number of posts : 721
Registration date : 2008-05-15

PostSubject: ORTONVILLE CITY COUNCIL MEETING AGENDA   Fri May 01, 2009 6:37 pm

REGULAR MEETING

CITY OFFICE MEETING ROOM

315 Madison Avenue, Ortonville, MN
Monday, May 4, 2009
7:00 P. M.

The City Council is provided background information for agenda items in advance by City staff and appointed commissions, committees and boards. Decisions are based on this information, as well as City policy and practices, input from constituents and a Council Member’s personal
judgment. If you have comments, questions or information that has not been presented or discussed regarding an agenda item, please stand up to be recognized by the Mayor during the “Citizens to be Heard” item on the agenda. Please state your name and address for the record.

1. Call to Order and Roll Call
2. Agenda Amendments
3. City Attorney Reports & Recommendations
a. Update: Acquiring Easements-Sanitary Sewer Forcemain; Utility and Street Improvements-McCloud Street
4. Bids (If Needed)
5. Public Hearing (If Needed)
6. Recognitions/Presentations/Introductions
7. Citizens to be heard
All comments are encouraged and appreciated. We ask that you keep your comments as brief as possible and, if you are here with a group of citizens regarding the same topic, have one representative speak for the group.
8. * Consent Agenda
*All items marked with an asterisk (*) are considered to be routine by the City Council and will be acted upon by one motion. There will be no separate discussion of these items unless the Mayor or any Council Member or citizen so requests, in which case the item will be removed from the General Order of Business and considered in its normal sequence on the agenda. The agenda items in bold print need to be acted upon by
Council.
a. *Approve Minutes of City Council Regular Meeting April 6, 2009
b. *Approve Minutes of City Council Regular Meeting April 20, 2009
c. *Approve VFW Post 3964 Application for Temporary On-Sale Liquor License June 20-21, 2009 Ortonville Armory
d. *Resolution Approving Hiring 2009 Pool Employees and Setting 2009 Salaries for Pool Employees
e. *Approve use of Lakeside Park, Ottertail Land and all surrounding land for TRAM on July 26

9. Recommendations of Citizen Boards, Committees and Commissions
a. Telecommunications Committee Recommendation: Resolution Approving One-Year Renewal of TDS Contract-$29.50/Line
b. Border City Tax Committee Recommendation: Resolution Approving Border City Tax Credit Applications
10. Reports From Council Committees
a. City Council Update-John Cunningham-Urban Forestry Presentation
11. Unfinished Business
12. New Business
a. Approve Expenditures
b. Approve DNR Deer Hunt and Approve Administering Deer Hunt Program
c. Resolution Approving Authorization of Transportation Grant Agreement for Airport Improvement Excluding Land Acquisition-Agreement No. 94571
d. Resolution Accepting Resignation and Declaring a Vacancy-Council Member John Cunningham
e. Dixon Street Improvements-Nick Anderson
f. Resolution Approving the Payment of Legal Fees for Police Chief Curt
Hormann’s Defense-$786.25
g. Approval of Letter of Retirement from Police Chief Curtis Hormann
h. Approve Commencing Negotiations with Big Stone County to Consolidate Law Enforcement Services
13. City Clerk-Administrator Reports & Recommendations
a. Update: Small Cities Development Grant Program
b. Update: Columbian Hotel
c. Ortonville TIF District Creation and Potential TIF Bond Issue
d. Economic Stimulus Information-Modify, Upgrade, Construct Fire Stations
e. Update: Sanitary Sewer Forcemain Improvements along Big Stone Lake; Street and Utility Improvements on McCloud Street-Public Hearing 7:00 PM-05-18-09
f. Library Steps Grant Update
g. 2009-2010 Local Government Aid Update
h. Federal Stimulus Infrastructure Funding Update - Regional Resource Fair 04-21-09
i. MRES Bright Energy Solutions Rollout – Week of April 20, 2009
j. Update: 2009 Taxiway and Apron Project-Ortonville Airport
k. Update: Earth Day Observance-Central Park Restoration
l. Summer Recreation Program Scholarships
m. Annual Gopher State One-Call Ad
n. Cities Without Municipal Liquor Stores Training-May 14, 2009
o. Closing Memorandum-General Obligation Water Revenue Refunding Bonds
p. Update: 2010 Infrastructure Improvement Project Funding Applications
Ortonville City Council Regular Meeting Agenda Page 3 of 3 May 4, 2009
14. Executive Session
15. Adjournment

Additional Information Contained in Packet

• Police Return to Work at Elko-New Market
• Street Committee Meeting Minutes 04-08-09
POSTING STATEMENT
This agenda was posted for public review in the office of the Clerk-Administrator on May 1, 2009.
__________________________ _________________
Clerk/Administrator Date
Please contact the office of the City Clerk/Administrator (839-3428) if auxiliary aids or services
are required to attend the meeting (ten hours notice is required).
Back to top Go down
Zorro
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Number of posts : 112
Job/hobbies : Education/Animal Rescue
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: ORTONVILLE CITY COUNCIL MEETING AGENDA   Sat May 02, 2009 6:38 am

I thought the general purpose of an executive session had to be stated - Sunshine law.
Back to top Go down
mouthpiece
Power Poster
Power Poster

Number of posts : 721
Registration date : 2008-05-15

PostSubject: Zorro, makes a good point.   Sun May 03, 2009 11:19 am

Zorro,

You make a good point. A few weeks ago when the Mr. Lang wanted the world to know that someone in the police department had charges filed against them he posted the following:

"Public notice is hereby given that The Ortonville City Council And The Police Civil Service Commission Will Hold a Special Closed Meeting For the Purpose of Consideration of Charges and Allegations Against an Employee".

I guess it is inconsistent because Mr. Lang's agenda with the Executive Session tomorrow, he apparently is in favor of this party.

The mayor allowing Mr. Lang and Ms. Oake's to run this community will result in more loss of jobs.

Ms. Oakes and Mr. Lang just traded a real job that was lost to the community and may be a whole police department. They called this economic development.

They lost the Horman family and in exchange they got the Lang family, I think? He still resides in ? ? ? Where is his family spending our money? In Clarkfield?

Who signed the ambiguous contract with this Mr. Lang? Dan Oakes and the mayor. Both should be financially responsible for this mistake.
Back to top Go down
Lady Hawk
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 622
Job/hobbies : Wife/Mother
Registration date : 2008-05-16

PostSubject: Will Chief Curt Horman retire?   Tue May 05, 2009 6:46 pm

I only saw the last part of the meeting but that was quite an ear full. I came in when Councilman Steve Berkner was talking about Curt Hormans resignation. I do not know what was said in the resignation but Mr. Berkner was not happy with the city councils part in it and wanted to have some kind of investigation or inquiry to see what could be done to improve the relationship between the city and the police department. He referred to the police report that the city council had done almost two years ago looking into the possiblity of combining the sheriffs office with the police department. (Mike Dorry reminded everyone that they had paid $2,00.00 for that report) The summary at the end listed recommendations that the City Council had never taken. Couldn't more have been done to correct the situation? Steve Berkner asked if a committee of citizens or someone be put together to look into the situation.

Amazingly, after some discussion, Mayor Blair Johnson asked for volunteers and Steve Berkner, Bob Meyer, and Blair Johnson all volunteered to be on the committee. Excuse me...you now have three city councilmen looking into the way the city council treats the police department? And the public is not supposed to see through that? When Mr. Berkner first suggested it he mentioned "citizens." When Mayor Blair asks for volunteers he looks to the city council. Is the public supposed to see that as dealing evenhandedly? Honesty comes at at high price for some people. Should we start taking bets on what the findings will be? Will the people of Ortonville let their City Council do this?

Last month the city council was all apologetic about hauling Chief Horman before the council under the auspices of "charges and allegations" and even with feigned remorse stated that they would pay Police Chief Hormans legal fees. (As long as they are not to high, joked Councilman Nick Anderson.) A month later they vote against paying the fees. Does the city council set the fees for attorneys now? They cause the problem, they backtrack and say they will pay, as long as it isn't to high ,and then they refuse to pay. I have never witnessed such arrogance.

Do these men think they are above everyone else? What if the average citizen said that? Oh, I won't pay the attorney because he charges to much, I won't pay my dentist because he charges to much, I won't pay my doctor because he charges to much, I won't pay my plumber because he charges to much, I won't pay my mechanic because he charges to much.....who do these councilmen think they are? Royalty?

On another note during the discussion the council asked Chief Horman if he would reconsider his position and not resign if they looked into it. Chief Horman seemed to struggle with the question. He obviously was not expecting it. Chief Horman said he would consider it depending upon the outcome of the committee. It appeared to me that for Chief Horman to make such a statement implies that he doesn't want to leave. I wonder if he could be pursuaded to stay. If not, then will Ortonville be without a police department. One could not help but notice the items listed on the city agenda above:

g. Approval of Letter of Retirement from Police Chief Curtis Hormann
h. Approve Commencing Negotiations with Big Stone County to Consolidate Law Enforcement Services

The ink wasn't even dry on the resignation before they started to shut down the police department.

Our citizens may be deceived for awhile, and have been deceived;
but as long as the presses can be protected,
we may trust to them for light.
- Thomas Jefferson
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ORTONVILLE CITY COUNCIL MEETING AGENDA   

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1