Big Stone Lake Area Community Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place where Big Stone Lake (and surrounding) area citizens can discuss area news, events and matters of concern.

PortalHomeGallerywind, some other views - Page 2 Coolte22Latest imagesSearchwind, some other views - Page 2 Coolte24Log inRegister

wind, some other views

Go down 
+2
Lady Hawk
joelie hicks
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
joelie hicks
Power Poster
Power Poster
joelie hicks

Number of posts : 262
Registration date : 2008-09-21

wind, some other views - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: wind, some other views   wind, some other views - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 11:31 pm

Back to top Go down
mouthpiece
Power Poster
Power Poster
mouthpiece

Number of posts : 721
Registration date : 2008-05-15

PostSubject: Has the Loss of Big Stone II Destroyed Wind Power for the Area?   wind, some other views - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 18, 2009 8:01 am

There is definitely showing signs of a slow down in the wind energy arena in this area. The question is that good or bad.

Many of the smaller communities are showing profits from wind power and those involved should take a look to see if this is a desireable economic development project for the area.

Just a thought. It may be that the use of wind power will not be as significant, but can we downsize and make it a great exonomic boom for the area?
Back to top Go down
Flamel
Flamel

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2010-07-01

PostSubject: Re: wind, some other views   wind, some other views - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 03, 2010 11:00 pm

I have visited two wind farms in Minnesota with a group of my peers and one of them said and I quote "The sounds of the blades are soothing and they aren't much louder than the wind" I checked the wind for this day and found that it was on average 11mph with gust up to 14 mph. Being a resident of South Dakota one of the most windiest states in the country, that being said wouldn't the wind cover up most of the noise and also the headaches my be actually be psychological pain, pain that is in the mind but has no physical presence in the body. Also maybe these pains were actually present before the turbines were built. There is no scientific evidence (I checked) that proves this.
Back to top Go down
joelie hicks
Power Poster
Power Poster
joelie hicks

Number of posts : 262
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: Re: wind, some other views   wind, some other views - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 04, 2010 2:40 pm

I have done some visiting too. And some people have said they thought it was soothing. Others say it is like living next to their clothes dryer 24/7. The sound is deep in the ground which means you cannot get away from it in your home.
Until recently many contracts had non disclosure clauses, which meant you could not tll anyone what you were receiving as compensation and some contracts even said you could not be publicly critical of turbines or transmission lines.
In a recent conventional farm magazine (Progressive Farmer, I think) there was a question from someone who had to let lines be built as a result of public domain. They said the wind company told them if anyone was injured on their site theat the land owners would be responsible, also the owners could not get a backround check of anyone that was employed by them coming on their property. So if the company employed a child molester, the landowners would not know/could not find out.
Once upon a time, I was excited about wind projects, but research has made me rethink my original position. A million dollars would not get my signature. I think they are a wasteful, faddish and too expensive. There is a website that prints news articles about wind. It is obvious the site owner is no fan but you can read the articles that are unedited and figure out that all over the US as well as internationally, wind power is causing myriad problems.
What did you check that said there is no scientific evidence for headaches and that they were not physical in nature? Because there are plenty of medical people out there who say otherwise.
There is also a huge difference between the industrial wind and community wind projects, also personal turbines. The large turbines cannot store the power, but a personal one can.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: wind, some other views   wind, some other views - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

wind, some other views
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2