Big Stone Lake Area Community Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place where Big Stone Lake (and surrounding) area citizens can discuss area news, events and matters of concern.

PortalHomeGalleryWill the Rat Pack remain intact? Coolte22Latest imagesSearchWill the Rat Pack remain intact? Coolte24Log inRegister

Will the Rat Pack remain intact?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Lady Hawk
Admin
Admin
Lady Hawk

Number of posts : 622
Job/hobbies : Wife/Mother
Registration date : 2008-05-16

Will the Rat Pack remain intact? Empty
PostSubject: Will the Rat Pack remain intact?   Will the Rat Pack remain intact? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 9:59 am

The candidates for the upcoming election in Ortonville has been made public.

For Mayor the choices are:

Blair Johnson and Dave Dinnel

For the three Councilman positions the candidates are:

Nick Anderson
Bill Powell
Bob Meyer
Angela Doren
Mel Reinke

Over the past year I have watched the Ortonville City Council and have noted some observations. There appeared to be a solid group that worked together and showed no concern for the public's interest.

I nicknamed them the "Rat Pack." There was a group of movie stars in the 1960's who went by that name. Frank Sanatra, Joey Bishop, Peter Lawford, Sammy Davis Jr.. etc. The name seemed to fit and I didn't think they would mind the association. It was my little term of endearment.

The Ortonville Rat Pack includes Blair Johnson, Nick Anderson, John Cunningham, Craig Randleman, and Steve Berkner. When John Cunningham retired he was replaced by Bill Powell. It was an amusing meeting when Mr. Powell came in. After everyone else had been (craftily?) eliminated from the position Mayor Johnson announced that this man, Mr. Bill Powell had called him a few hours before the meeting and asked to be considered. Mayor Johnson said he didn't know Mr. Powell but he wanted the job and so they should give it to him. Really? Some stranger calls you and says he wants to take the reigns of power in the city and you know nothing about him and that is OK? It amazes me how stupid some politicians think the public is.

It was apparent right out of the chute that Mr. Bill Powell began voting with the Rat Pack. Even to the point of the McCloud Street project. When the McCloud Street project had failed to pass the Rat Pack tried to resurrect it by going ahead with the bids. Why would the Rat Pack put out bids if the project failed? Mr. Powell had no objection to the bids being put out as I recall. After it was shown that accepting the bid would not pass because Mr. Dorry and Mr. Meyer both refused to change their position then Mr. Powell went into what one could describe as a stump speech about how fiscally irresponsible it would be to move ahead with this project and he voted against the bid. Really? Where was that speech before? Mr. Powell only voted against the Rat Pack when it was obvious that they were going to lose the vote anyway. Some people might call that political posturing. It didn't change my opinion. He looks like a member of the Rat Pack to me.
Back to top Go down

Will the Rat Pack remain intact?
Page 1 of 1