Big Stone Lake Area Community Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place where Big Stone Lake (and surrounding) area citizens can discuss area news, events and matters of concern.

PortalHomeGalleryAppleton prison to close on February 1st Coolte22Latest imagesSearchAppleton prison to close on February 1st Coolte24Log inRegister

Appleton prison to close on February 1st

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
bigstone777
bigstone777

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2009-02-13

Appleton prison to close on February 1st Empty
PostSubject: Appleton prison to close on February 1st   Appleton prison to close on February 1st Icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2009 2:10 am

On Friday, the town of Appleton, Minn., got the news many residents have dreaded: Prairie Correctional Facility will close, putting up to 125 employees out of work.

The private prison will shut down Feb. 1 because of low inmate numbers, according to the company that owns and runs the facility.

It is also startling to read that the prison supports about 60 percent of the city's budget, paying Appleton about $1.1 million a year in taxes and water bills, the mayor said. "The community is going to suffer quite a bit," he said.

http://www.startribune.com/local/south/78550147.html?elr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiUsr
Back to top Go down
Reporter
Super Poster
Super Poster
Reporter

Number of posts : 241
Job/hobbies : Report the news.
Registration date : 2009-08-04

PostSubject: Response from Representative Falk   Appleton prison to close on February 1st Icon_minitimeSun Dec 06, 2009 1:09 pm

December 4, 2009

Response from Rep. Falk

I was disappointed to learn today that the Prairie Correctional Facility in Appleton will be closing on February 2, 2010. Even though, according to Corrections Corp of American (CCA), this may be only a temporary closure, it is troubling not only for the workers and their families but also for the community and surrounding areas.

Since being elected, I have worked and advocated to maintain the Appleton prison as a viable operation by working to bring the parties together and co-authoring a bill last session that would have strengthened the state’s relationship with Prairie. I have worked closely with Department of Corrections Commissioner Joan Fabian, and appreciate her efforts to work with the people at Prairie Correctional Facility. Despite the best efforts to reach a compromise, Corrections Corporation of America (CCA), which owns the Prairie facility, has determined the facility is no longer financially viable and must be closed.

CCA has indicated they will continue to look for another state or federal partner whose prison system is overcrowded and needs immediate relief. If they are successful, they will consider re-opening the facility. I have already pledged my full endorsement of the workers, facility, and quality of rehabilitative services should CCA ask for help in the solicitation of these new contracts. In addition, I have contacted our Congressman and US Senators asking for their help in finding a solution to keep Prairie Correctional Facility operating.

There is no responsibility I take more seriously than the need to create and protect local jobs. I still haven’t given up hope the situation with Prairie can be resolved, and I look forward to working with everyone involved to reach a solution. Whether it’s Prairie, or any other local business, I will continue to look for ways to support business development, improve our job market, and strengthen our local economy.
Back to top Go down
mouthpiece
Power Poster
Power Poster
mouthpiece

Number of posts : 721
Registration date : 2008-05-15

PostSubject: Is this a Union Problem   Appleton prison to close on February 1st Icon_minitimeSun Dec 06, 2009 10:44 pm

Does this area really miss Chuck Brown? The Democratic Party of this state may have abandoned the Appleton area because the prison in Appleton is not union.

Rep. Falk lacks the experience and apparently the Dem's in St. Paul thought him and this area as unnecessary.

Has the DFL removed the farmers from their title.

The new party should be named Democratic Labor Party.

By the way does it make sense that the Laborer want cheap food?

Maybe the days of having common interests with labor is now over.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Appleton prison to close on February 1st   Appleton prison to close on February 1st Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Appleton prison to close on February 1st
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Big Stone Lake Area Community Forums :: Lets talk: Regional News and topics of interest-
Jump to: