Big Stone Lake Area Community Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place where Big Stone Lake (and surrounding) area citizens can discuss area news, events and matters of concern.

PortalHomeGalleryVeteran Service Officer Makes House Calls Coolte22Latest imagesSearchVeteran Service Officer Makes House Calls Coolte24Log inRegister

Veteran Service Officer Makes House Calls

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Reporter
Super Poster
Super Poster
Reporter

Number of posts : 241
Job/hobbies : Report the news.
Registration date : 2009-08-04

Veteran Service Officer Makes House Calls Empty
PostSubject: Veteran Service Officer Makes House Calls   Veteran Service Officer Makes House Calls Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 9:31 am

By: Dan Meyer

The office hours for the Big Stone County Veterans Service Office are 7:30 am – 4:00 pm Monday through Friday. My office phone number is (320) 839-6398.

This winter has already provided us with extremely heavy snowfall(s) and very icy/slippery roads! Why do a mention this? Because I make “house calls.” If you are unable to visit my office for services, then I will come to you. This will allow me to put in a request to my beautiful wife, Mary, for a new four-wheel drive pickup. Please call me and let’s make an afternoon appointment.

A heart-felt thank you to all our veterans! With the number of veterans requesting services, we are well on our way in making Big Stone County the number one county in Minnesota with respect to the services provided to our veterans and their families.

In other news. Please allow me to assist the families of our deceased veterans in honoring their veteran’s military service to the Unites States of America, the greatest Nation on earth. Call my office and/or stop by, and order a Presidential Memorial Certificate (PMC).

What is a Presidential Memorial Certificate?

A PMC is an engraved paper certificate, signed by the current President, to honor the memory of honorably discharged deceased veterans.

This program was initiated in March 1962 by President John F. Kennedy and has been continued by all subsequent Presidents. Statutory authorization for the program is Section 112, Title 38, of the United States Code.

The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) administers the PMC program by preparing the certificates which bear the current President’s signature expressing the country’s grateful recognition of the veteran’s service in the United States Armed Forces.

Eligible recipients include the next of kin and loved ones of honorably discharged veterans. More than one certificate may be provided.

Eligible recipients, or someone acting on their behalf, may apply for a PMC at any VA regional office or by U.S. mail or toll-free fax. Requests cannot be sent via email. Please be sure to enclose a copy of the veteran’s discharge and death certificate to verify eligibility, as they cannot process any request without proof of the honorable military service. Please submit copies only, as they will not return original documents.

Along with the military discharge document and the death certificate, you will need to complete VA Form 40-2047 (Application for Presidential Memorial Certificate). If you would like to apply for a Presidential Memorial Certificate, please stop by my office and I will complete the application, and mail it for you.

It must be mentioned that I will order an extra original certificate for the Big Stone County Veteran’s “Book of Honor.” I’ll be finding a well traveled place in our County Courthouse to permanently display the “Book of Honor.”

Trivia Question Time. Last week’s question was, “What is the oldest American military uniform item in continuous use?” The answer is: The gold buttons on the Marine Corps Dress Blue Uniform.

This week’s question: “What was the name of Hitler’s top female test pilot?” The answer in next week’s article.

Until next week, take care and “Fair Winds and Following Seas!”
Back to top Go down
Lady Hawk
Admin
Admin
Lady Hawk

Number of posts : 622
Job/hobbies : Wife/Mother
Registration date : 2008-05-16

Veteran Service Officer Makes House Calls Empty
PostSubject: The first woman helicopter pilot, Hanna Reitsch   Veteran Service Officer Makes House Calls Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2010 8:51 pm

I have to admit it Dan Meyer you got my attention on this one. I had to find out who this woman was. Wow, what an incredible life. Wasn't she also the first woman helicopter pilot? Black Hawk She was also the first person to fly a helicopter --- INSIDE A BUILDING?!? That was in February of 1938. I had no idea helicopters were around in 1938. Or that the Germans were making them. scratch Suppose they were still experimental. I had always associated helicopters with the Korean War. Fascinating woman, though a little extreme perhaps. At the end of the war she was in the process of training suicide bomber pilots for Germany (Operation Self Sacrifice).

Here is a link to her story: Hanna Reitsch.

And here is a video of her flying the helicopter in the building in 1938.
Back to top Go down

Veteran Service Officer Makes House Calls
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Big Stone Lake Area Community Forums :: Everything Military :: VA-
Jump to: