Big Stone Lake Area Community Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place where Big Stone Lake (and surrounding) area citizens can discuss area news, events and matters of concern.

PortalHomeGalleryUsing Local food Coolte22Latest imagesSearchUsing Local food Coolte24Log inRegister

Using Local food

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
joelie hicks
Power Poster
Power Poster
joelie hicks

Number of posts : 262
Registration date : 2008-09-21

Using Local food Empty
PostSubject: Using Local food   Using Local food Icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2010 3:26 pm

Local Foods, how do you use them?
I try to use local food as much as possible. What I grow and what I purchase from the farmers market. I also buy all my meat locally. As far as cheese is concerned I buy Organic Valley because our local organic milk producers sell to them, but I am about to embark on making my own cheese.
Personally, I like the challenge that comes with cooking with local food. This summer I had great tomatoes, but for some reason my green peppers were less than spectacular. So I would pick some up at the farmers market and freeze a bunch. I should not have to buy a pepper until next year's garden produces them.
Right now I am out of town, but I brought a lot of local food with me. Ham hocks for bean soup. A smoked ham (that bone will get used too), a chicken, eggs, frozen veggies and milk.

I roasted the chicken and yesterday i took the meat off the bones and boiled it up with veggies and a little vinegar for broth. I also made gravy from the drippings. Someone brought over cheesy bread and there was some left, so I broke it into pieces and put it in a buttered casserole dish. Then I put in some of the chunked chicken and covered it with a cream gravy and baked it in the oven for about 20 minutes. It was a hit when served with salad. Local ingredients used: Chicken and milk. If I had been home, i might have put a little pepper in half of it.
So what do you do with local food?
If everyone spent $10 a week on local food, our local economy would soar.
Back to top Go down
mouthpiece
Power Poster
Power Poster
mouthpiece

Number of posts : 721
Registration date : 2008-05-15

Using Local food Empty
PostSubject: Buy Local   Using Local food Icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2010 9:40 pm

I could not agree with you more. Almost every weekend for vendors selling local farm products.

Many areas have developed economic development with local products. A small community in central South Dakota marketed "local honey".

We nust be creative and look for these new markets.

By the way, I was not disappointed with one purchase I bought locally.

Understand the impact of buying locally. For every dollar spent locally it returns:

A 2002 Economic Impact Analysis in Austin, Texas was one of the first major studies to look at the difference between shopping at local stores versus big chains. The study found that for every $100 spent at a locally-owned store, $45 stayed in the local economy. For every $100 spent at a chain like Borders or Home Depot, however, the local economic impact was only $13.

http://www.austincc.edu/techcert/TXP%20Gaming%2009-26-06.pdf[/

see also

http://www.civiceconomics.com/Andersonville/AndersonvilleStudy.pdf
Back to top Go down

Using Local food
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Big Stone Lake Area Community Forums :: The Online Community :: The Coffee Shop-
Jump to: