Big Stone Lake Area Community Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place where Big Stone Lake (and surrounding) area citizens can discuss area news, events and matters of concern.

PortalHomeGalleryNew Medallion for Head Stones Coolte22Latest imagesSearchNew Medallion for Head Stones Coolte24Log inRegister

New Medallion for Head Stones

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Reporter
Super Poster
Super Poster
Reporter

Number of posts : 241
Job/hobbies : Report the news.
Registration date : 2009-08-04

New Medallion for Head Stones Empty
PostSubject: New Medallion for Head Stones   New Medallion for Head Stones Icon_minitimeFri Apr 16, 2010 9:50 pm

By: Dan Meyer

The office hours for the Big Stone County Veterans Service Office are 7:30 am – 4:00 pm Monday through Friday. My office phone number is (320) 839-6398.

A friendly reminder. Looking ahead to next month, I will be out of the office 12 – 14 May and 17 – 21 May for our annual Meyer Father and Sons Fishing Trip to Ontario, Canada. And yes the walleye fishing is great! As was the case last year, Gary Dinnel and Tim Swanson a.k.a. “Big Time” will be joining us.

Month of the Military Child.

During the month of April, the State of Min­nesota takes time to recognize the Month of the Military Child in order to emphasize the important role military children play while a parent or important adult is serving.

Children of service members deal with many issues unique to their situation. Some move frequently, worry about a loved one in harm’s way or just feel the stress of being separated from a parent for extended periods of time. All of these issues can make normal childhood activities, such as going to school, watching TV and playing with friends more difficult. It is estimated that over 15,000 children in Minnesota have been affected by a parent’s deployment.

During this month, Governor Tim Pawlenty will send military children a letter of gratitude in honor of their service and sacrifice. All you have to do is register the military child/children.

To register a military child to receive a letter from the Governor and for resourc­es to support military children, visit www.mdva.state.mn.us/child. Or, as always, stop by my office and I will be glad to help you.

Medallions! The Department of Veterans Affairs is making available a new medallion to be affixed to an existing privately purchased headstone or marker to signify the deceased's status as a veteran.

If requested, the medallion will be furnished in lieu of a traditional Government headstone or marker for veterans that died on or after November 1, 1990, and whose grave is marked with a privately purchased headstone or marker.

The medallion will be available in three sizes, 5 inches, 3 inches, and 1 ˝ inches. Each medallion will be inscribed with the word VETERAN across the top and the Branch of Service at the bottom. Appropriate affixing adhesive, instructions and hardware will be provided with the medallion.

We estimate this new medallion will be available by June 30, 2010 and we will begin accepting claims at that time.

Important: This benefit is only applicable if the grave is marked with a privately purchased headstone or marker. In these instances, eligible veterans are entitled to either a traditional Government-furnished headstone or marker, or the new medallion, but not both.

If you think you may be interested in submitting a claim for the new medallion, VA will begin accepting claims once a contract has been awarded for its manufacture. A new claim form is being developed for the medallion and it will be posted on the VA website once it has been approved.

If interest, you can contact me now and I will take your information and contact you when the medallions become available for order. In addition, you can stop by my office and look at a picture of the new medallion.

Lastly, I will continue to monitor the Department of Veterans Affairs site for updated information regarding the new medallion.

Until next week, take care and “Fair Winds and Following Seas
Back to top Go down

New Medallion for Head Stones
Page 1 of 1