Big Stone Lake Area Community Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place where Big Stone Lake (and surrounding) area citizens can discuss area news, events and matters of concern.

PortalHomeGalleryCould this be good news for dairy producers? Coolte22Latest imagesSearchCould this be good news for dairy producers? Coolte24Log inRegister

Could this be good news for dairy producers?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
joelie hicks
Power Poster
Power Poster
joelie hicks

Number of posts : 262
Registration date : 2008-09-21

Could this be good news for dairy producers? Empty
PostSubject: Could this be good news for dairy producers?   Could this be good news for dairy producers? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 26, 2010 6:33 pm

The May, 2010 issue of Acres/USA magazine is devoted to cattle and grazing. When this magazine arrives in the mail, everything else goes on hold while I read through it, seeing which articles I want to read in depth later.
This issue has an article on spraying raw milk in pastures as a fertilizer. The evidence shows that 3 gallons of milk to 17 gallons of water per acre has wonderful results. Besides growth, it seems that grasshoppers can't live because of the high sugar content in the milk.
As far as grass production is concerned, pastures sprayed at the begining of the season (april-may) in forty five days had an extra 1,200 bounds of grass on a dry matter basis and the ability of the soil could absorb double the amount of water. Sodium in the soil is reduced by half.
This study is a small one and was encouraged by an extension agent. He suggests giving it a try. He also suggests offering your local dairy farmer double or triple what is being paid them by the local milk plant. Even at this cost it is a much more economical soil enhancer than conventional fertilizer.
Speaking personally, if it were up to me, I would be careful who I bought the milk from. It would not have to be an organic dairy, but I would not consider using milk from a concentrated animal operation becuae of the higher antibiotic requirements to keep animals healthy. This is the same reason I would not care to use manure from such a place because of the medicines and chemicals that go into the lagoons. Others might not care where it comes from. The reporter was not specific about what kind of dairy the milk came from. But they emphasize that it is very important that the milk is raw and not pasturized, to encourage microbial activity.
I wonder if this could be tried on other fields? If it worked, could this be a help to the struggling dairy farmer?
Back to top Go down
Lady Hawk
Admin
Admin
Lady Hawk

Number of posts : 622
Job/hobbies : Wife/Mother
Registration date : 2008-05-16

Could this be good news for dairy producers? Empty
PostSubject: Give your plants a milk bath.   Could this be good news for dairy producers? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 27, 2010 8:18 pm

When we lived in AZ I bought milk from a woman who had two cows. I took the cream and made butter but no one in my house liked drinking the buttermilk so I went outside and poured about a quart jar on a tiny orange tree I had purchased recently. The tree looked like the one in the Charlie Brown Christmas Special. A spindly little thing with barely any leaves. The next day I went outside and it had blossomed. It was filled with flowers and over the next few weeks I counted "FIFTY" tiny oranges growing on it. Of course the tree would never have been able to hold all those oranges so I had to snip them all off but it sure made me a confirmed user of milk in my garden. It worked great on my tomatoes too.
Back to top Go down

Could this be good news for dairy producers?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Big Stone Lake Area Community Forums :: Lets talk: National News and topics of interest-
Jump to: