Big Stone Lake Area Community Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place where Big Stone Lake (and surrounding) area citizens can discuss area news, events and matters of concern.

PortalHomeGalleryHomemade Macaroni & Cheese like Kraft? Coolte22Latest imagesSearchHomemade Macaroni & Cheese like Kraft? Coolte24Log inRegister

Homemade Macaroni & Cheese like Kraft?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Lady Hawk
Admin
Admin
Lady Hawk

Number of posts : 622
Job/hobbies : Wife/Mother
Registration date : 2008-05-16

Homemade Macaroni & Cheese like Kraft? Empty
PostSubject: Homemade Macaroni & Cheese like Kraft?   Homemade Macaroni & Cheese like Kraft? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 08, 2008 6:24 pm

Chef Does anyone have a homemade Mac & Cheese recipe that tastes like Kraft?

I was visiting a relative and she had on one of those cooking programs on and there was a chef that said he could make it. He then proceeded to do so and listed all the ingredients. The young boy that was a "pick-eater" tasted it and said it tasted just like the box stuff.

I am allergic to MSG and can't eat the box stuff but would like to be able to make it. Unfortunately I didn't get the recipe. I must have been brain dead at the time to not write it down.

I make my own Mac & Cheese with macaroni and velveeta but would like to try to make the kind that tastes like the box stuff.
Back to top Go down
lightninboy
Super Poster
Super Poster

Number of posts : 198
Registration date : 2008-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Macaroni & Cheese like Kraft?   Homemade Macaroni & Cheese like Kraft? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 08, 2008 8:45 pm

There are cheaper brands of box macaroni-and-cheese than Kraft which are all right, but I reckon Kraft has the best box macaroni-and-cheese.

I do think that the quality of homemade macaroni and cheese using Creamettes elbow macaroni for example is dependent upon the cheese put into it.
Back to top Go down
nascargirl
Super Poster
Super Poster
nascargirl

Number of posts : 236
Registration date : 2008-06-08

PostSubject: Crockpot Mac & Cheese   Homemade Macaroni & Cheese like Kraft? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 08, 2008 9:13 pm

Lady Hawk - you may want to try this one -- it's pretty good. I only cooked it the minimum amount of time and it was done.

Crockpot Mac & Cheese

Ingredients
1 8 oz package macaroni, cooked and drained
2 tbsp oil
1 13 oz can evaporated milk
1-1/2 cups milk
1 tsp salt
16 oz Velveeta, cubed
1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
1/4 cup melted butter

Toss cooked macaroni with oil.
Add all remaining ingredients.
Pour into lightly greased 3 quarts (2850 ml) crock pot.
Stir well.
Cover.
Cook on low 3-4 hours, stirring occasionally.

I'll post another one from Paula Deen that I tried.
Chef

On Computer
nascargirl
Back to top Go down
nascargirl
Super Poster
Super Poster
nascargirl

Number of posts : 236
Registration date : 2008-06-08

PostSubject: Paul Deen's Mac & Cheese (Crockpot)   Homemade Macaroni & Cheese like Kraft? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 08, 2008 9:31 pm

This is really rich, but very, very good.

Creamy Macaroni and Cheese

2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni (an 8-ounce box isn't quite 2 cups)
4 tablespoons (1/2 stuck) butter, cut into pieces
2 1/2 cups (about 10 ounces) grated sharp Cheddar cheese
3 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup sour cream
1 (10 3/4-ounce) can condensed Cheddar cheese soup
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup whole milk
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Boil the macaroni in a 2 quart saucepan in plenty of water until tender, about 7 minutes. Drain.

In a medium saucepan, mix butter and cheese. Stir until the cheese melts. In a slow cooker, combine cheese/butter mixture and add the eggs, sour cream, soup, salt, milk, mustard and pepper and stir well. Then add drained macaroni and stir again. Set the slow cooker on low setting and cook for 3 hours, stirring occasionally.

Makes 12 servings
Chef

On Computer
nascargirl
Back to top Go down
lightninboy
Super Poster
Super Poster

Number of posts : 198
Registration date : 2008-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Macaroni & Cheese like Kraft?   Homemade Macaroni & Cheese like Kraft? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 09, 2008 8:56 pm

I like the cooked elbow macaroni to be fresh and plump, not limp and flabby and sticking together.
I suppose chunks of Velveeta are good in macaroni.
I suppose Velveeta is good for grilled cheese sandwiches and cheeseburgers, but I never liked Velveeta much.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Homemade Macaroni & Cheese like Kraft?   Homemade Macaroni & Cheese like Kraft? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Homemade Macaroni & Cheese like Kraft?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Big Stone Lake Area Community Forums :: The Online Community :: The Coffee Shop :: What's Cooking?-
Jump to: