Big Stone Lake Area Community Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place where Big Stone Lake (and surrounding) area citizens can discuss area news, events and matters of concern.

PortalHomeGalleryIs GCCC done with public on this forum? Coolte22Latest imagesSearchIs GCCC done with public on this forum? Coolte24Log inRegister

Is GCCC done with public on this forum?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
mythoughts
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
mythoughts

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2008-10-17

Is GCCC done with public on this forum? Empty
PostSubject: Is GCCC done with public on this forum?   Is GCCC done with public on this forum? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 19, 2008 3:25 pm

Maybe GCCC is done with the public? Or did discussion move somewhere other than the forum lightingboy created? Well, he gave it a good try at least. Thanks for all those posts, I rather regret that I can't follow up on a few things mouthpiece and I were discussing and other stuff. Hopefully every one is just busy doing things for the holidays.
Back to top Go down
mouthpiece
Power Poster
Power Poster
mouthpiece

Number of posts : 721
Registration date : 2008-05-15

PostSubject: The Debate may continue   Is GCCC done with public on this forum? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 19, 2008 4:31 pm

It is my understanding that although the thread was closed we may start a new thread that is related but not the same.

Are you really serious about a debate on family farms vs. corporate farms. The financial harm in corporate farms is well documented as to the negative effects to rural communities.
Back to top Go down
mythoughts
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
mythoughts

PostSubject: Re: Is GCCC done with public on this forum?   Is GCCC done with public on this forum? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 19, 2008 4:48 pm

hi,
I have been wondering what documentation sources are being used to say that dairies owned and controled by the producer group and not the processing plant are economically a drain on communities. The economics of dairies are different than for the livestock that takes less labor. I read some references from lightingboy but the studies or literature reviews referred to almost everything big in agriculture and not specifically to dairies. The County Commissioners certainly feel that dairies are an economic boon to a county- you know "value added ag".
Back to top Go down
mouthpiece
Power Poster
Power Poster
mouthpiece

Number of posts : 721
Registration date : 2008-05-15

PostSubject: Feelings is not proof.   Is GCCC done with public on this forum? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 19, 2008 5:23 pm

The mere fact that a few well-meaning Commissioners have been incorrectly convinced that it is for the betterment of the community is not proof.

The proof I refer to are Congressional Hearings in the 1990's. After farming improved there have been few if any studies so the evidence is quite strong that corporate farms harm rural communities.

If you have a study please let me know. I was an understudy to James Wadley who was a leading scholar on Agricultural law and Rural Development.

Quite frankly, this argument was made in Minnesota in the late 80's and early 90's directly related to dairy. The west central part of Minnesota was loaded with dairy farms. Many were lost and the small communities were also financially displaced.

The population boom to the Stearns County region created non-farm jobs for many displaced family farmers in the early 90's.
Back to top Go down
lightninboy
Super Poster
Super Poster

Number of posts : 198
Registration date : 2008-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Is GCCC done with public on this forum?   Is GCCC done with public on this forum? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2008 7:28 pm

The only thing that the Concerned Citizens of Grant County have accomplished is provoking Riverview Farms to withdraw its application for Foothills Dairy, LLP, and I suspect the Concerned Citizens of Grant County shall not accomplish another thing whether they try or not.

Back to top Go down
daniw
daniw

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2008-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Is GCCC done with public on this forum?   Is GCCC done with public on this forum? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2008 8:13 am

Back to top Go down
lightninboy
Super Poster
Super Poster

Number of posts : 198
Registration date : 2008-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Is GCCC done with public on this forum?   Is GCCC done with public on this forum? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 02, 2009 4:21 pm

The climax of Concerned Citizens of Grant County was on August 7, 2008 when Riverview Farms had announced it was withdrawing its application for a permit for Foothills Dairy, LLP. From then on, everything went downhill. There was a CAFO information meeting in Milbank on August 21 which very few Concerned Citizens of Grant County attended. Dakota Rural Action showed it could make Concerned Citizens of Grant County more efficient but Dakota Rural Action was never invited back. The president said in the newspaper that there would be a petition drive for an initiative for an election to increase the CAFO setback distance. Meetings became fewer. Opportunities to promote enforcement of CAFO and immigration laws were wasted. The president missed a few meetings without appointing a vice president. Chances to campaign for a new county commissioner were wasted. The Concerned Citizens of Grant County finally obtained the necessary ingredients for a petition drive for an initiative for an election to increase the CAFO setback distance, but the leadership refused to use them, although having a petition drive would be valuable experience for any future petition drives. Concerned Citizens of Grant County leaders refused to work on changing any laws on the initiative or corporate farming. Concerned Citizens of Grant County is a classic example of the American people getting bad government because the American people deserve bad government.
Back to top Go down
mythoughts
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
mythoughts

PostSubject: Grant County Concerned Citizens issues   Is GCCC done with public on this forum? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2009 4:43 pm

Hello, mounthpiece. The debate over cooperate farms is different than the debate over large livestock farms and large family farms. Switching the topic to cooperate farms from large livestock operations, fine but I was interested in livestock farms.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is GCCC done with public on this forum?   Is GCCC done with public on this forum? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is GCCC done with public on this forum?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Big Stone Lake Area Community Forums :: Lets talk: Regional News and topics of interest :: Animal-Agriculture-
Jump to: