Big Stone Lake Area Community Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place where Big Stone Lake (and surrounding) area citizens can discuss area news, events and matters of concern.

PortalHomeGalleryFreedom of the NEW Media Coolte22Latest imagesSearchFreedom of the NEW Media Coolte24Log inRegister

Freedom of the NEW Media

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
mouthpiece
Power Poster
Power Poster
mouthpiece

Number of posts : 721
Registration date : 2008-05-15

Freedom of the NEW Media Empty
PostSubject: Freedom of the NEW Media   Freedom of the NEW Media Icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2009 12:11 pm

Freedom of the NEW Media

Liberty

Once again I want to thank you for this fine site and the ability to allow others to speak when you and I may disagree. Even when numerous thread rules are broken. The ability to allow diverse opinions on this site shows the real strength of the site. You did not tell those who you differ, it will cost you money if you use this site, you are not a leader of the community or you are not an official site.

Parties who attempt to dissuade others with shouts or wanting the last word really demonstrate the bullying that has offended me for years. Thanks for allowing all opinions to be heard.

In review of some of the posts last week I observe that the opinions of some may be self serving and an attempt to deflect discussions on real facts. Whenever someone posts we must remember do they personally benefit for their position.

Many persons cannot separate the concept what is good for me, may not be good for my community. We call these conflicts of interests that are material to another's thought processes. Beware of these conflicts.

Louis D. Brandeis, a famous justice once said, "Experience should teach us to be most on our guard to protect liberty when the government's purposes are beneficent. Men born to freedom are naturally alert to repel invasion of their liberty by evil-minded rulers.The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well meaning but without understanding. "
Back to top Go down
Lady Hawk
Admin
Admin
Lady Hawk

Number of posts : 622
Job/hobbies : Wife/Mother
Registration date : 2008-05-16

PostSubject: Official Newspapers   Freedom of the NEW Media Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 10:00 am

There has been some talk on these forums about the term "official newspaper" status. One has to consider what that means. In Communist Russia they had an "Official Newspaper." In Communist China they have an "Official Newspaper." We all know what that means. The government controlled the news.
Here in America the term "official newspaper" is supposed to have a different meaning. In America it is simply to refer to the fact that the city will use that paper to print it's official announcements and city minutes. Nothing more. The government cannot sanction any news media as being more reliable than another. A news media's reliability is on it's own merits.

For instance if the city council meets and makes a decision and the local newspaper is there and doesn't report it to the public then they are accountable for what they did. See Northside If it fails to print the truth then it faces the backlash of public opinion. The people will lose faith in them.

The NEW Media is something that many are learning about. This is like the wild west, learning our boundaries and what we can accomplish. We are no longer dependent on a few people telling us what the news is. Now everyone who participates in a forum can talk about the news around them.

A forum serves a different purpose than a blog. A blog is controlled by one person or a a group. Response to any inaccuracies by the public can be limited. For instance when the city of Ortonville first put out it's blog it stated that comments would be "flitered." I tried to find it to post a link but the city has changed it's website again and now I can't find their blog. I understand the cities website is still a work in progress and we will all have to be patient.

There is a great video on the portal of a speech President John F. Kennedy gave to a group of newspaper editors. His words still ring true today. Only now we have the internet to help shine a light on those "secret societies" that he spoke of. As with anything people should always use their own judgement. To be discerning is the responsibility of everyone. People need to check out the facts no matter where the news comes from be it the paper, radio, internet, or local coffee shop.
Back to top Go down
Newsie
Newsie

Number of posts : 101
Job/hobbies : student/daughter
Registration date : 2008-05-23

PostSubject: Re: Freedom of the NEW Media   Freedom of the NEW Media Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 10:50 am

As Thomas Jefferson quotes (American 3rd US President (1801-09). Author of the Declaration of Independence. 1762-1826)

“The press is the best instrument for enlightening the mind of man, and improving him as a rational, moral and social being”
judge doctor nurse policeman park ranger fireman cowboy cowgirl soldier Detective graduate Chef
Back to top Go down
mouthpiece
Power Poster
Power Poster
mouthpiece

Number of posts : 721
Registration date : 2008-05-15

PostSubject: The Truth will set you free   Freedom of the NEW Media Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 7:20 pm

A real newspaper reports the facts whether or not they may hurt a few people. I have known good newspaper people in the past. They do not shy away from tough stories and they are tough on public figures who do wrong. Just in today's Watertown Paper the following appeared:

Let the People know the Facts and the Country will be safe. Abraham Lincoln

People ask the difference between a leader and a boss, the Leader works in the open, the boss in covert. Teddy Roosevelt

Information is the currency of democracy. Thomas Jefferson

Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light. George Washington

There are those who will read a paper to find out the marshmallow news and ask the cushy questions of their friends and financial supporters.

This site will ask real questions and point to real issues.

It is ironic that this site months ago discussed that this city council (mayor) was wasting money at a bad time. The cities response, criticize the source.

Sometimes you have to be tough even on your friends. If poor decisions were made behind close doors in a smoke filled room the four men above said that good government depends on getting the information to the public.

For those who are still hiding in the smoke filled room we have more tough questions. Are you ready or will you attack again?

Check out a real newspaper that is not afraid to report the news in Watertown, Page 11. Although this site is new we will not be intimidated by people who want to edit this site to give marshmallow news.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Freedom of the NEW Media   Freedom of the NEW Media Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Freedom of the NEW Media
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Big Stone Lake Area Community Forums :: The Online Community :: Using the Forums-
Jump to: