Big Stone Lake Area Community Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place where Big Stone Lake (and surrounding) area citizens can discuss area news, events and matters of concern.

PortalHomeGalleryEaster, What Would Jesus Do? Coolte22Latest imagesSearchEaster, What Would Jesus Do? Coolte24Log inRegister

Easter, What Would Jesus Do?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
mouthpiece
Power Poster
Power Poster
mouthpiece

Number of posts : 721
Registration date : 2008-05-15

Easter, What Would Jesus Do? Empty
PostSubject: Easter, What Would Jesus Do?   Easter, What Would Jesus Do? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2010 7:56 am

At a time in history where there appears to massive change in government and the nation appears to be losing its Christian beliefs and local government officials say we should only say good to each other, we need to ask the question, What Would or Did Jesus Do?

The naysayers, would argue that Jesus was kind, compassionate and forgiving. They would argue that he had a passive like personality. They would quote scripture from Thessalonians for instance.

These folks are more like the Pharisees and Saduccees. They set people up and they are constantly planning and gossiping on the next move.

Verse after verse shows Jesus tongue-lashing this group. An example is found as follows:

Quote :
"Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices—mint, dill and cummin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law—justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former."
Matthew 23:22-24
It is our Christian responsibility and duty to promote justice to the oppressed. Those in leadership have an even greater responsibility to promote justice.

When the day is over we need to stop those who trod over the rights of common people and we need to stop those who gossip.

Remember that Jesus even became physical when he entered the Temple. May I suggest that Jesus would attempt to turn us in a different direction if he thought what we were doing was wrong.
Back to top Go down
jorge016
jorge016

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2009-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Easter, What Would Jesus Do?   Easter, What Would Jesus Do? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2010 10:14 am

[quote="mouthpiece"]At a time in history where there appears to massive change in government and the nation appears to be losing its Christian beliefs and local government officials say we should only say good to each other, we need to ask the question, What Would or Did Jesus Do?

The naysayers, would argue that Jesus was kind, compassionate and forgiving. They would argue that he had a passive like personality. They would quote scripture from Thessalonians for instance.

Out of curiosity who do you believe are these naysayers?
Back to top Go down
Lady Hawk
Admin
Admin
Lady Hawk

Number of posts : 622
Job/hobbies : Wife/Mother
Registration date : 2008-05-16

PostSubject: Re: Easter, What Would Jesus Do?   Easter, What Would Jesus Do? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2010 12:39 pm

Hey jorge016, I thought the above post was reflective. As a person reads it it may give them an opportunity to think about how they conduct themselves and pay attention to what is going on in their lives and take notice of how those people around them are behaving. As individuals are we, or the people around us, behaving like the Saduccees and Pharisees? Should we participate in their behavior or speak out against it?

I think everyone should do a reality check from time to time and be willing to look honestly at our own or others behavior and determine what our responses should be. I say "others behavior" because if we notice the people we love or care about behaving wrong we have a choice to remain silent, talk to them and show them a better way, or defend them and then become part of a bigger problem.

Everything comes down to each individual person's response. How will I behave? We all have control over how we react and should do our best to be sure our reaction is in accordance with our core beliefs. If a person is a Christain they need to be sure their reactions are in accordance with that faith.
Back to top Go down
jorge016
jorge016

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2009-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Easter, What Would Jesus Do?   Easter, What Would Jesus Do? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2010 1:10 pm

I agree that this post started out as a reflective piece. It becomes more of an admonishment towards (loosely quoted on my part) "the naysayers and gossipers" among us. I'm just curious who's being addressed.
Back to top Go down
joelie hicks
Power Poster
Power Poster
joelie hicks

Number of posts : 262
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Easter, What Would Jesus Do?   Easter, What Would Jesus Do? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2010 4:34 pm

I am not Mouthpiece, but if this is a general question, the answer would certainly be, all ofus at one time or another(except for Jesus of course;)).

We are supposed to hold one another accountable, and remember, Faithful are the wounds of a friend over the kisses and flattery of an enemy.

So any thing we say to others, should be said without rancor, as hard as that may be.

Anything anyone says to us should be accepted and thoughtfully considered, to accept or reject, as hard as THAT may be.

After all, it was not just His enemies that Jesus found fault with. He said "Get thee behind me, satan!" when Peter was simply being a nice guy, but thinking in a worldly way.

At the same time Jesus wept over Jerusalem and said He longed to gather them together as a hen gathers her chicks, and some there truly hated Him.

The big question is, do we enjoy telling others off? Do we enjoy when those with whom we do not agree with fail at something?
Sometimes the answer is 'yes', that is when we step back, and if necessary ask for forgiveness.

But sometimes we must say the hard thing, in order to be a true friend.
Back to top Go down
mouthpiece
Power Poster
Power Poster
mouthpiece

PostSubject: Thanks for the Responses   Easter, What Would Jesus Do? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 8:06 am

When I came to this community now almost 30 years ago, this community prided itself for being a "Town with a Heart".

As the years have gone by, this community no longer even tries to have a heart. What would you do if you saw a minority person get hurt so badly that they were hospitalized weeks in a hospital. What if she were a friend? What about a stranger from out of town?

What about the gossip about this person? Would you repeat how the accident happened? What if she were a friend? A minority? A stranger from out of town?

The purpose of the post was a joelie Hicks and Lady Hawk say. It is not to point a finger but to make a point. How we treat people everyday is a reflection of who we are? This community has not treated people well. At Easter this is a time of reflection.

A time of reflection for me as well. I have not always treated people well. for this I humbly ask for forgiveness.

By the way, the person in the hospital was me 23 years ago. Six weeks in a burn unit. I received a handful of cards from the softball team I played on and a visit from the church choir director.

May I humbly submit that we can all do better. May that be our prayer at Easter!
Back to top Go down
joelie hicks
Power Poster
Power Poster
joelie hicks

Number of posts : 262
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Easter, What Would Jesus Do?   Easter, What Would Jesus Do? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 8:38 am

When I first moved to this community in 1975, a young woman approached me at church and asked me to bring my baby and visit with her and her kids. We talked about many things, she told me their story.
Her husband had been in a work related accident and they were struggling to get by. Somehow the word was put out that this family could use some food. She opened her freezer and it was nearly full. But when I looked closer, I saw nearly all the packages were marked 'liver'. She said, "we like liver but...".
I have never forgotten that, and when I am asked to give, I try to give something I would like to have myself.
On the other hand, when my Mom was dying, members of the community were so helpful, running the theatre for us while we were gone. And they would not take any money.
I have never publicly thanked the Fred Oslund family, Sharon Pinkert and Jim Ebert and others for their help. Sharon and Melanie Dorsett brought my Mom back from the Mpls. hospital in the ambulance and I was touched by the quality of care she rec'd. i will never forget it. Likewise the staff at the hospital. My Mom moved here after my dad died, she lived here for 12 years and really liked being here. She was well accepted by the neighbors and the church members. If she walked downtown and stoped at the bank for a rest, it was not unusual for someone from the bank to give her a ride home. This is what we all want and need from our communities.
I know your story can be echoed here too. For one reason or another, we fail in our caring for one another. I am as neglectful as anyone.
Back to top Go down
mouthpiece
Power Poster
Power Poster
mouthpiece

PostSubject: Be Kind to Others   Easter, What Would Jesus Do? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 02, 2010 10:11 am

There are two threads discussing how people in Ortonville have not been kind to others. I have discussed before the tears shed in my office of people who have been mistreated. False accusations, politicizing and posturing just to reach their goal. Some of the residents of Ortonville just are unkind.

On the other hand, I have found close friends who do care about others. They treat others as they wish to be treated. They do not hide behind religion or fabricate a story to make others feel sorry for them.

When I was in college I wanted to be a minister. This was my goal. My paths changed and some would say I went to the dark side. I would beg to differ. I found first that I loved to educate children but that path changed. Then I obtained my degree in political science and business communications.

As I grew in both my spiritual beliefs and when I ran for the state Senate the two worlds collided head-on. I was educated on mass communications and the rules and laws of campaigning. I observed first hand professional politicians and how they approached the media.

Thus the current observations. We are in unchartered water when dealing with the internet media. City websites regulated by people who have just a little experience do not really understand what they are doing, but it feels good at the time.

Some of these people criticize others but do not wish to be criticized. The person in charge of our city website was Dave Lang. Actually he still is I think.

Boundaries in city websites are important. We need to look at these boundaries carefully because we are treading in unchartered waters.

The people in charge continue to label those of us who disagree with holding government accountable. We are labeled as aggressive, bully and negative thinkers. These people who label are like the people who label all Democrats as Left wing and all Republican as Right wing, or the Tea partyer's redneck's.

Come on Ortonville, take the criticism during this Easter season and instead of justifying the bad things we do to others, humbly ask for forgiveness and true repentence and make changes to make this a better community and a better government.

For me during this Easter season, I intend to do exactly the same thing. I will ask for forgiveness, I will repent and attempt to live a better life.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Easter, What Would Jesus Do?   Easter, What Would Jesus Do? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Easter, What Would Jesus Do?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Big Stone Lake Area Community Forums :: Lets talk: Regional News and topics of interest-
Jump to: