Big Stone Lake Area Community Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place where Big Stone Lake (and surrounding) area citizens can discuss area news, events and matters of concern.

PortalHomeGalleryFarmer's markets-A local food feast Coolte22Latest imagesSearchFarmer's markets-A local food feast Coolte24Log inRegister

Farmer's markets-A local food feast

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
joelie hicks
Power Poster
Power Poster
joelie hicks

Number of posts : 262
Registration date : 2008-09-21

Farmer's markets-A local food feast Empty
PostSubject: Farmer's markets-A local food feast   Farmer's markets-A local food feast Icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 2:19 pm

Opening night for the Twin Brooks farmer's market yesterday. Smallish crowd when I was there, maybe people were a little fearful of the weather.
Some great food, a beautiful cabbage, some beets, zucchini, asparagus, romaine lettuce, beet greens, swiss chard, broccoli, 2 pints of strawberries and new potatoes.
Supper was baked beans, chips, pork loin sandwiches and a fabulous piece of rhubarb pie. 5 dollars, it was a steal.
A great start to the year.
Twin Brooks has a fun, convivial atmosphere, I bought a couple of giftie things and had a lemonade while I shopped.
Be sure to reserve Thursday nights for a good supper and great local food.
Back to top Go down
joelie hicks
Power Poster
Power Poster
joelie hicks

PostSubject: Re: Farmer's markets-A local food feast   Farmer's markets-A local food feast Icon_minitimeSun Jun 13, 2010 12:13 am

When I was in Ann Arbor, their farmer's market had a lot of atisanal cheese for sale. I bought a few different kinds, they were all very tasty. Cheese is a lot of fun to make and i am glad we have a few people in the area that make their own.
Someone in the Morris area said there is a rumor that they plan to build a cheese factory there. Has anyone on the MN side heard this?
Is that redundant, or is it necessary because of too much milk in the area?
Once upon a time there were many little cheese plants around, then most disappeared. There are some springing up again, but they are mostly for foodie type people, because they are hand made and the flavor is not as uniform as store cheese.
I suppose there is room for all.
Back to top Go down
gks
gks

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2008-10-30

PostSubject: cheese   Farmer's markets-A local food feast Icon_minitimeSun Jun 13, 2010 9:17 am

Aren't there some people in SD or Mn that make home made cheese to sell?
It seems like I have seen something - maybe organic?
Back to top Go down
joelie hicks
Power Poster
Power Poster
joelie hicks

PostSubject: Re: Farmer's markets-A local food feast   Farmer's markets-A local food feast Icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 10:07 pm

I was in the Mn metro area for a week. No farmer market visits this time unfortunately, but i did go to a herb farm and bought some great herbs including some odd ones, such as angelica. In spite of the wet weather, the herbs are doing wonderfully well this year.
Still trying to find some lady's mantle (aka dewcup). Anyone know where I could find some?
Back to top Go down
joelie hicks
Power Poster
Power Poster
joelie hicks

PostSubject: Re: Farmer's markets-A local food feast   Farmer's markets-A local food feast Icon_minitimeFri Jun 25, 2010 1:21 pm

All my chicks will be here at the nest this weekend, so when I hit the Twin Brooks Farmers Market, I was hoping for some stuff to make life a little easier. Even though I arrived late, i was not disappointed.
First stop, STRAWBERRIES! Great to go w/a little Alden's Strawberry Ice Cream or Stonyfield gotta have vanilla ice cream. Or all alone.
Then I picked up some swiss chard, which is always yummy no matter what you do with it.
Happy to see the bread lady there, I bought italian herb, potato, white and whole grain. I baked and took bread down to my daughter's, gave some away, left some for the man of the house and we were cleaned out. when there, I did bring some strawberries and rhubarb and canned jelly, made some banana bread and choc. chip cookies with the grandkids, but no time for bread.
Also picked up some buttermilk and some applesauce doughnuts for snacks.
My son stopped at the F/M in Montivideo and brought, asparagus, greens and MORE DOUGHNUTS.
Supper last night in Twin Brooks was, veggie salad, potato salad, chips, strawberry pie and brats-a steal at $5. With lemonade it was a perfect summer supper.
So for our lunch today we had smoked ham roast (local, organic), the italian herb bread (really good), asparagus in a cheese sauce, lettuce from my neighbor's garden. Strawberries and Ice cream for dessert.
Everything but the ice cream was locally grown and/or produced.
Here is a recipe for a great lettuce dressing:
3/4 c. milk
3/4 c. mayo
1 T apple cider vinegar
sugar, salt and pepper to taste. Simple to make, great to eat.
Lettuce is such a treat, I have been eating it 3 times a day.
Go to a Farmers market soon, and if you have extra produce consider bringing it to sell at Twin Brooks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Farmer's markets-A local food feast   Farmer's markets-A local food feast Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Farmer's markets-A local food feast
Page 1 of 1