Big Stone Lake Area Community Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place where Big Stone Lake (and surrounding) area citizens can discuss area news, events and matters of concern.

PortalHomeGalleryRemember what I posted about our elected officials, lets see how this county commission manages this issue Coolte22Latest imagesSearchRemember what I posted about our elected officials, lets see how this county commission manages this issue Coolte24Log inRegister

Remember what I posted about our elected officials, lets see how this county commission manages this issue

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
joelie hicks
Power Poster
Power Poster
joelie hicks

Number of posts : 262
Registration date : 2008-09-21

Remember what I posted about our elected officials, lets see how this county commission manages this issue Empty
PostSubject: Remember what I posted about our elected officials, lets see how this county commission manages this issue   Remember what I posted about our elected officials, lets see how this county commission manages this issue Icon_minitimeWed Oct 20, 2010 8:40 am

Further proof that these places are often a) not economically viable and b) will not police themselves

Marshall County Considers Permit for Veblen East Dairy
The Veblen East Dairy in northeastern South Dakota faces another challenge today to its continued operation and pollution of the Whetstone Valley watershed. Included on the Marshall County Commission's agenda this morning is an 11 a.m. hearing to consider a conditional use permit for the "new" owners of the bankrupt Veblen East Dairy.

"New" deserves those "not really" quote marks: Vista "Family" Dairies, which bought Veblen East at less than half its value at bankruptcy auction last month, is made up mostly of the same equity owners who banked on the messy operations of Veblen East and sister dairy Veblen West over the last couple years. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

So really, the Marshall County Commission is considering issuing a conditional use permit—i.e., a special favor, an excuse to conduct operations that fall outside the normal zoning rules—to the same bunch who couldn't keep the Veblen East Dairy running properly in the first place.

A county commission acting in the interest of its constituents would use today's hearing to ask some hard questions and allow neighbors from all along the watershed to put their concerns on the public record. Let's see if that's what happens....
Read more >>
Posted by caheidelberger at 07:53

2 comments Links to this post:

Interested? Read more about: dairy, environment, Marshall County, Richard Millner, South Dakota, Veblen
Back to top Go down
gks
gks

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2008-10-30

Remember what I posted about our elected officials, lets see how this county commission manages this issue Empty
PostSubject: Veblen Dairies Game   Remember what I posted about our elected officials, lets see how this county commission manages this issue Icon_minitimeWed Oct 20, 2010 9:59 am

Wouldn't you think the county commissioners would look at the millions of dollars lost by local and not so local farmers and businesses and the disaster with the logoons and think they maybe should support their constituants rather than a business that is doomed to fail time after time?
Back to top Go down
lightninboy
Super Poster
Super Poster

Number of posts : 198
Registration date : 2008-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Remember what I posted about our elected officials, lets see how this county commission manages this issue   Remember what I posted about our elected officials, lets see how this county commission manages this issue Icon_minitimeTue Oct 26, 2010 5:32 pm

Apparently Grant County commissioners pledge allegiance to the cheese factory getting cheap milk.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Remember what I posted about our elected officials, lets see how this county commission manages this issue   Remember what I posted about our elected officials, lets see how this county commission manages this issue Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Remember what I posted about our elected officials, lets see how this county commission manages this issue
Page 1 of 1