Big Stone Lake Area Community Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place where Big Stone Lake (and surrounding) area citizens can discuss area news, events and matters of concern.

PortalHomeGalleryIs Ortonville ready for a traffic light by the Holiday Stati Coolte22Latest imagesSearchIs Ortonville ready for a traffic light by the Holiday Stati Coolte24Log inRegister

Is Ortonville ready for a traffic light by the Holiday Stati

Go down 
+3
computerwhiz
hillbillieswoman
Lady Hawk
7 posters

Should we have a traffic light on Highway 12 by the Holiday Station?
Yes
Is Ortonville ready for a traffic light by the Holiday Stati Vote_lcap165%Is Ortonville ready for a traffic light by the Holiday Stati Vote_rcap1
 65% [ 11 ]
No
Is Ortonville ready for a traffic light by the Holiday Stati Vote_lcap118%Is Ortonville ready for a traffic light by the Holiday Stati Vote_rcap1
 18% [ 3 ]
Undecided
Is Ortonville ready for a traffic light by the Holiday Stati Vote_lcap117%Is Ortonville ready for a traffic light by the Holiday Stati Vote_rcap1
 17% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 17

AuthorMessage
Lady Hawk
Admin
Admin
Lady Hawk

Number of posts : 622
Job/hobbies : Wife/Mother
Registration date : 2008-05-16

Is Ortonville ready for a traffic light by the Holiday Stati Empty
PostSubject: Is Ortonville ready for a traffic light by the Holiday Station.   Is Ortonville ready for a traffic light by the Holiday Stati Icon_minitimeSun May 18, 2008 6:55 am

I know that with the dike road being closed because they are putting in a new bridge traffic has increased on Hwy 12. Even so it is still a busy corner and I for one would like to see a light put up. It is difficult to make a left hand turn going into downtown Ortonville from Big Stone City and traffic on the Highway backs up all the way to the train bridge at times.
Back to top Go down
hillbillieswoman
hillbillieswoman

Number of posts : 3
Job/hobbies : Momma and Wife
Registration date : 2008-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Is Ortonville ready for a traffic light by the Holiday Stati   Is Ortonville ready for a traffic light by the Holiday Stati Icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2008 6:19 pm

I CAN'T believe there hasn't been a crash there yet park ranger
Please Ortonville or whoever is responsible put a stop light up!!!
Back to top Go down
computerwhiz
Admin
Admin
computerwhiz

Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2008-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Is Ortonville ready for a traffic light by the Holiday Stati   Is Ortonville ready for a traffic light by the Holiday Stati Icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2008 7:34 pm

dito

There have been a couple crashes there actually.
Back to top Go down
http://bigstonelakearearoyalty.blogspot.com
hillbillieswoman
hillbillieswoman

PostSubject: Re: Is Ortonville ready for a traffic light by the Holiday Stati   Is Ortonville ready for a traffic light by the Holiday Stati Icon_minitimeWed May 21, 2008 4:53 pm

Hey...I didn't know there had been wrecks at the intersection. How bad were they? Hope no one was hurt real bad! Sad Will it take someone getting killed for Ortonville to do something about the intersection? Oh boy
Back to top Go down
Lady Hawk
Admin
Admin
Lady Hawk

Number of posts : 622
Job/hobbies : Wife/Mother
Registration date : 2008-05-16

PostSubject: Re: Is Ortonville ready for a traffic light by the Holiday Stati   Is Ortonville ready for a traffic light by the Holiday Stati Icon_minitimeFri May 30, 2008 5:02 am

I visited with my hairdresser yesterday (and after all everyone knows that your hairdresser knows for sure). She said that the State of MN had already surveyed the intersection and determined that there wasn't enough traffic to warrant putting in a light. Shocked

Suspect I wonder how long ago they did the survey. Were they using horse and buggies then?
Back to top Go down
hillbillieswoman
hillbillieswoman

PostSubject: Re: Is Ortonville ready for a traffic light by the Holiday Stati   Is Ortonville ready for a traffic light by the Holiday Stati Icon_minitimeFri May 30, 2008 11:33 am

The survey that was done was many years ago. Maybe someone should
look into contacting the mdot for another survey.... bounce
Back to top Go down
computerwhiz
Admin
Admin
computerwhiz

Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2008-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Is Ortonville ready for a traffic light by the Holiday Stati   Is Ortonville ready for a traffic light by the Holiday Stati Icon_minitimeFri May 30, 2008 2:24 pm

I know of at least two accidents on that corner. One involved a milk truck, I don't know any of the details on that one. The second was a minivan and another smaller car, no one was hurt.
Back to top Go down
http://bigstonelakearearoyalty.blogspot.com
gratis04
gratis04

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2009-02-04

PostSubject: Re: Is Ortonville ready for a traffic light by the Holiday Stati   Is Ortonville ready for a traffic light by the Holiday Stati Icon_minitimeMon Feb 09, 2009 6:47 pm

Honestly, I don't think that there is not enough traffic to warrant the cost it would be to put up a light there. I think before putting up a traffic light, it would have to be a four way stop. Having to drive in St. Cloud on a regular basis, it really is not a bad intersection.
Back to top Go down
nascargirl
Super Poster
Super Poster
nascargirl

Number of posts : 236
Registration date : 2008-06-08

PostSubject: Intersections   Is Ortonville ready for a traffic light by the Holiday Stati Icon_minitimeMon Feb 09, 2009 11:12 pm

There have been several accidents over the years at the Holiday intersection. Yes, there was a survey done by the State of MN, but it has been at least 10 years ago (if not longer). There have been times when you have to sit at that stop sign and wait a good 5 minutes for traffic to pass. I wonder if it would be helpful to have First Street going south actually have a lane that would branch off to the right - with that lane a merge type lane to go to Big Stone. Since there is no longer a railroad track along there, that has freed up some of the traffic and might allow for a separate lane. I'm thinking further west where the Parade of Flags are now located. Hopefully I'm making sense. Course I have no idea of who owns that land.

I'm not an engineer or traffic person, but there has to be a way to get the flow of that traffic move faster if MN DOT feels a traffic light isn't necessary.

Another intersection that is an accident waiting to happen is the four way stop at Hilltop. Many times I have seen vehicles blow right through that intersection. That intersection could use SOMETHING -- rumble strips, flashing lights, etc. if MN DOT doesn't feel a stop light is necessary.

If someone can find out if this takes a petition, contact with MN DOT, or city/county officials -- please post that information.

On Computer
nascargirl
Back to top Go down
bigstone777
bigstone777

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2009-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Is Ortonville ready for a traffic light by the Holiday Stati   Is Ortonville ready for a traffic light by the Holiday Stati Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 3:40 am

A traffic light at this intersection would be totally unnecessary.

There is not enough traffic to warrant a light and really the only issue at the intersection is making a left turn towards downtown Ortonville when coming from Big Stone. Even then, the only time this backs up is during the "rush" hours which is a very small time frame of each day.

Accidents have been pretty minimal and the milk truck incidents there have either been the fault of the driver or equipment malfunction.

The fact that Holiday has two entrances which do not line up with Hwy. 12 coming from Big Stone alone is enough reason for the State to not put a light up. It would be a nightmare to try and manage.

I think a 4-way stop would be a bad idea as it would just slow ALL the traffic down for very little benefit.

I say leave it like it is.

I will agree that the 4-way stop on top of the hill is a problem. I have seen many vehicles fly through that thing over the years. Rumble strips would be the easiest solution, but I know they have to consider the noise problem when located so close to a city.

Actually, I have noticed that the only traffic that seems to miss the stop sign is the traffic coming up the hill from Cashtown. I personally think that non-locals get distracted when they get to the top of the hill and see all of the stuff to the right of them. The museum, the boat, and especially Paul Bunyans's Anchor would really catch someone's eye who is not used to seeing them. They are so busy trying to figure out what it is and they totally miss the stop sign. At least that is my theory!!
Back to top Go down
tweety_56278
tweety_56278

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2009-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Is Ortonville ready for a traffic light by the Holiday Stati   Is Ortonville ready for a traffic light by the Holiday Stati Icon_minitimeSat Oct 17, 2009 10:02 pm

I actually just recieved a email from the state of MN and they said that there was not enough trafic to justify the expense of having one there. I believe its just pure lazyness but oh well.......
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is Ortonville ready for a traffic light by the Holiday Stati   Is Ortonville ready for a traffic light by the Holiday Stati Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is Ortonville ready for a traffic light by the Holiday Stati
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Big Stone Lake Area Community Forums :: Big Stone Lake Area :: Ortonville, MN :: General-
Jump to: