Big Stone Lake Area Community Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place where Big Stone Lake (and surrounding) area citizens can discuss area news, events and matters of concern.

PortalHomeGalleryYour children are reading about you. Coolte22Latest imagesSearchYour children are reading about you. Coolte24Log inRegister

Your children are reading about you.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Lady Hawk
Admin
Admin
Lady Hawk

Number of posts : 622
Job/hobbies : Wife/Mother
Registration date : 2008-05-16

Your children are reading about you. Empty
PostSubject: Your children are reading about you.   Your children are reading about you. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 13, 2009 3:12 pm

Years ago I read an article that profoundly affected me ever since. I don't remember who wrote the article but when I find out I'll give them credit. In the mean time I'll talk about what I remember and probably add a few thoughts of my own.

Your children are reading about you. Oh, they aren't reading your name, it's implied. You will find that in most stories, or books children read the parents are found to be the antagonist or indifferent to the child. Children are like vacuums. They suck it all in witout discriminating what they read. If the contant theme in books is ineffective or bad parents is it any wonder that children grow up with no respect for their parents.

I remember reading 2nd grade reader where there was this little duck that was afraid to swim. His father and mother bragged about what great swimmers all their family was and they knew that their son would win the swim meet. The little duck was afraid to tell the parents. The teacher befriended the little duck and gave him courage and the duck did end up swimming. His father and mother bragged to everyone about their son and the little duck looked over at the teacher and they winked at each other.

How many stories do your children read where the parents are not shown in a positive light. Where the parents are actually the heros? I explained to my children that while there may be some parents out there like those ducks most parents do love there children and want to talk to them and help them. My girls decided to start paying attention to that subject and find more books where the parents were the "good guys." Sadly my girls after years of reading have found very few.

Be sure to pay attention to what your children are reading and talk to them.

Last edited by Lady Hawk on Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
joelie hicks
Power Poster
Power Poster
joelie hicks

Number of posts : 262
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Your children are reading about you.   Your children are reading about you. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 13, 2009 4:00 pm

One great series for both boys and girls is Trixie Belden, the parents are not ever present but they are there, they are respected, the kids have a good work ethic.
that is true in many series books, Nancy Drew and her Dad etc.
For the very young Elise Minarak (little Bear). Another series, the Bobbsey Twins is good. Both parents are alive and good and wise.
It has been a long standing joke among aficionados of series books that the authors have all the parents dead.
The true classics are kind of a mixed bag.
Little Women, love of family for sure.
All of a Kind Family, The "Shoes" books are very good.
That said, i think it is the desire for autonomy in a safe venue that appeals to some kids.
But it is wise to read w/your antenna up.
Just like music.
Back to top Go down
computerwhiz
Admin
Admin
computerwhiz

Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2008-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Your children are reading about you.   Your children are reading about you. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2009 4:56 pm

I suppose many people think that the only way to have a good childrens' novel is to either write the parents in as the primary antagonist, the secondary antagonist, a stupid and inept side character or take them out completlely beacuse they just get in the way of the kid being the hero.

This is not however the case, parents don't need to be bad, stupid or gone to make a good childrens novel.

Kids learn from what they read (or watch) and then they think that is how the world is.

Parents need to teach their kids how to be discerning and like Jolie said: 'read with your antenna up'.

On another note, there are parents who unknowingly make themselves an easy target for these kind of underhanded attacks in kids books.

All parents need to make sure they are taking time to be true caring and involved "Moms and Dads" and not just someone filling in the role of "Parent".
Back to top Go down
http://bigstonelakearearoyalty.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Your children are reading about you.   Your children are reading about you. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Your children are reading about you.
Page 1 of 1