Big Stone Lake Area Community Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place where Big Stone Lake (and surrounding) area citizens can discuss area news, events and matters of concern.

PortalHomeGallerySouth Dakota Local Foods Directory Coolte22Latest imagesSearchSouth Dakota Local Foods Directory Coolte24Log inRegister

South Dakota Local Foods Directory

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Lady Hawk
Admin
Admin
Lady Hawk

Number of posts : 622
Job/hobbies : Wife/Mother
Registration date : 2008-05-16

South Dakota Local Foods Directory Empty
PostSubject: South Dakota Local Foods Directory   South Dakota Local Foods Directory Icon_minitimeTue Feb 17, 2009 6:40 am

cowboy Dakota Rural Action is a grassroots statewide organization that promotes family farming and promote clean renewable energy resources.

They produced the "South Dakota Local Foods Directory" in 2007 and are getting ready to update it with a new publication this spring. Check out their website at dakotarural.org

They have a list of area farmers who sell locally. See here.

It looks like such a neat site. If you know of any local farmers who sell to the public let them know about this site so they can be added to their list. cowgirl
Back to top Go down
mythoughts
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
mythoughts

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2008-10-17

PostSubject: DRA local foods directory   South Dakota Local Foods Directory Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 1:30 pm

Thanks for posting this, I lost my paper copy. Grass fed beef is catching on- Farm Journal had an article about a grass fed beef farm that had pasture based dairy in Nebraska. 526 acre farm and they said they were doing well. My brother in Chicago buys it.
Back to top Go down
joelie hicks
Power Poster
Power Poster
joelie hicks

Number of posts : 262
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: Re: South Dakota Local Foods Directory   South Dakota Local Foods Directory Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 2:13 pm

Our cattle are on pasture grass 6 mos and we are experimenting with more natural, but not organic beef, we will sell a whole animal to people alone or shared.
We buy our pigs, eggs and chickens that way. I never buy meet at the grocery and seldom eat out and when i do it is often meatless and dairyless.
Since our relatives sell to Organic Valley that is the only dairy brand i will buy, i buy cheese and butter by the case. Sept to may they sell a fabulous butter that is from pastured cows. They don't sell ice cream so i buy van's by the case, or make my own.
i went to a LSP meeting in Ortonville and Teri Van derPol (sp?) said she sells 80% of her natural beef locally, the other 20% she sells on regular runs to mpls. She also has a newsletter w/recipies etc. Very interesting.
With beef prices down this is a good thing to do, people know what they are getting and from whom they are getting it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: South Dakota Local Foods Directory   South Dakota Local Foods Directory Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

South Dakota Local Foods Directory
Page 1 of 1