Big Stone Lake Area Community Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place where Big Stone Lake (and surrounding) area citizens can discuss area news, events and matters of concern.

PortalHomeGalleryDan Meyer's Article March 6, 2009 Coolte22Latest imagesSearchDan Meyer's Article March 6, 2009 Coolte24Log inRegister

Dan Meyer's Article March 6, 2009

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Pollyanna
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Pollyanna

Number of posts : 100
Job/hobbies : Posts Calendar Events
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Dan Meyer's Article March 6, 2009 Empty
PostSubject: Dan Meyer's Article March 6, 2009   Dan Meyer's Article March 6, 2009 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 11:48 am

Monday, March 02, 2009 8:53 AM
Subject: CVSO Article due 6 March 2009

By: Dan Meyer
The office hours for the Lac qui Parle County Veterans Service Office are 8:30 am - 4:30 pm Monday through Friday. My office phone number is (320) 598-3445.

News from the desk of Mr. Clark Dyrud, Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs Commissioner.

The month of March inspires us to look ahead to warmer temperatures and sunnier days. It also gives us the chance to reflect on history and the pioneers who have paved the way for all Veterans.

March is National Women’s History Month. Millions of women have proudly served this country since the American Revolution. More than 33,000 served in World War I and more than 400,000 during World War II. Despite their rich history of bravery and accomplishment, these individuals weren’t always given the support and recognition they deserved.

In 2008, with the cooperation of the state legislature and Gov. Pawlenty, the Department appointed a Women Veterans Coordinator to lead our new Women Veterans Program. This program has been a key factor in understanding the needs of women Veterans while creating programs that help them gain access to all the services and benefits they are entitled. There are more than 22,000 women Veterans living in the state of Minnesota, and the Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs is here to help them in any way we can.

March 25 is National Medal of Honor Day. Minnesota has a rich history of exceptional warriors. These are heroes who, in the face of personal peril, have acted with valor to preserve liberty and freedom for this country. More than 50 of the 3,444 Medal of Honor recipients are associated with our state. Currently, an effort is underway to establish a Minnesota Medal of Honor Day. To honor our Minnesota Medal of Honor recipients the Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs has commissioned a plaque listing these heroes to be placed in the Court of Honor. A short dedication ceremony will be held Wednesday, March 25.

For event details, and more information about our state’s Medal of Honor recipients, contact your local County Veterans Service Officer.

Another day of tribute that I hold near and dear is March 28, Royal Lao Armed Forces Day. During the Vietnam War, these soldiers helped to insure the security and safety of countless American soldiers by disabling and stopping enemy forces along the Ho Chi Minh Trail.

I am always so amazed and proud of the diversity and accomplishments of all our Veterans and am thankful that I have the opportunity to celebrate and advocate for every Minnesota Veteran and their family.

Until next week, take care and "Fair winds and following seas!"
Back to top Go down

Dan Meyer's Article March 6, 2009
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Big Stone Lake Area Community Forums :: Everything Military :: VA-
Jump to: