Big Stone Lake Area Community Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place where Big Stone Lake (and surrounding) area citizens can discuss area news, events and matters of concern.

PortalHomeGalleryWill Big Stone City keep their promise to their children? Coolte22Latest imagesSearchWill Big Stone City keep their promise to their children? Coolte24Log inRegister

Will Big Stone City keep their promise to their children?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
mouthpiece
Power Poster
Power Poster
mouthpiece

Number of posts : 721
Registration date : 2008-05-15

Will Big Stone City keep their promise to their children? Empty
PostSubject: Will Big Stone City keep their promise to their children?   Will Big Stone City keep their promise to their children? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 22, 2009 7:32 am

Good government as well as good politicians need not be an oxymoron. The two can go together and the leaders of Big Stone City have such an opportunity.

In 2007, I went to the city of Big Stone and appeared requesting some support for making the baseball field compliant with VFW standards so that Big Stone City could hold at least one tournament a year.

I proposed a method to raise the money and did raise around $10,000 for these improvements. The city representatives at that time were so excited that they talked about building a new field and use the money for that purpose.

Two years later and a new city council the money is still in the account and there has been little effort except by Jim McFarlane to improve the field.

Recently, Mr. McFarlane left the council because of his frustration with this issue. The city wants to build houses but nothing is being done for its children.

In the last two weeks, the VFW has been unable to practice on the field and moved it’s practices four times and now has obtained a field from the good people of Rosen, Minnesota. We have one night scheduled at the Big Stone City field.

During this time we have observed 4 different teams attempting to practice or play on the existing field in one night. There were over fifty children attempting to play ball on these evenings and no field to play. When the field is full with no place to go the children have nothing to do except walk the streets.

Let’s talk about this field. The field so badly used the field has no pitching mound. There are gopher holes and rocks poking out in the outfield. The restrooms are open sometimes. The bases work, but they are loose. The infield has had no new dirt brought in for years and the fence needs work. The back stop is so short that it is non-compliant with any rules. There are no dugouts, no batting cages and no electricity for the pitching machine. The lights have not worked for years

I am proud of the kids who rarely complain. They just want to play ball. I am disappointed with the adults who are making the decisions. These same adults complain about the kids. They complain they are running all over and need to be controlled.

I frankly think it is time to hold the adults responsible for doing nothing for our children.

The leadership in Big Stone City has had two years to make good their promise. They should either commit to improving the field immediately or return the money they have taken wrongfully from people who did care about their children.

Are you going to take away the field from the children or are you going to keep your promise?
Back to top Go down
eyeofthetiger
eyeofthetiger

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2009-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Will Big Stone City keep their promise to their children?   Will Big Stone City keep their promise to their children? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2009 10:34 am

Well said Mr. Mouthpiece. It seems there are so few things for kids and young adults to do, or places to go, in this area. Getting that ball field done would be a HUGE asset.

You mentioned housing, with everyone focusing on 'housing' to bring more people to the area, they fail to look at what really brings people to a town, and thats the assets it has, be it a ball field, jobs, location, etc.

Again, well said, keep up the good work! applause
Back to top Go down
Zorro
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Zorro

Number of posts : 112
Job/hobbies : Education/Animal Rescue
Registration date : 2009-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Will Big Stone City keep their promise to their children?   Will Big Stone City keep their promise to their children? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2009 10:54 pm

You make an interesting observation, eyeofthetiger. What really brings people to a town?
Some movement to and from a town will always be going on -- family moves, job moves, retirement, etc. But what draws MORE in that away from a town? And who are the people that come?
For several decades I've been fascinated by the various dynamics of a community. I have basically concluded there are two types of towns/cities -- Those that are prospering, and those that are dying. Economic forces seem to be the EFFECT, not the CAUSE of these conditions. The most important dynamic I have identified is LEADERSHIP. I have seen towns change from prosperous and growing to deteriorating and dying. The difference wasn't the economic events -- those, rather, were the result of the leadership.
I left one community after watching a wonderful generation of leaders turn frail and their successors turn progress into regression and the community's standards and character into something less than admirable. The new generation of leaders was not selfless and civic minded -- they were greedy and self-serving. That town went down more year after year. Where their fathers had succeeded in forging partnerships and attracting stong fellow citizens and businesses, their children squandered and made poor decisions. Their lack of leadership caused a drain on the community that continues today. Every time I visit that town, I see how much further 'down' it has gone. Crime is up, revenues are down, businesses are stuggling or leaving. It simply isn't the kind of place people want to BUILD their lives in. They have all the trappings of a great town -- thanks to their fathers and mothers -- a great park system, superb airport, multiple golf courses, 2,000 motel rooms, convention center, major state celebrations each year...and rising crime, crumbling businesses, dying trees and petty disputes at city hall.
Sad. Very sad. The same town that seemed to have no limits wasted in one generation without true LEADERS.
Never live in a town that is dying, unless you see leaders to follow who can rebuild it and shame the poor excuses for leaders into stepping aside. Life's too short to waste in dying place that has no signs of reversing.
LEADERS make all the difference -- for better, or for worse. Above all, get good leaders and SUPPORT them -- together, you will build and they will come, to share what you have created.
Back to top Go down
mouthpiece
Power Poster
Power Poster
mouthpiece

Number of posts : 721
Registration date : 2008-05-15

PostSubject: Liquor Store or Baseball Field   Will Big Stone City keep their promise to their children? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 4:18 pm

Reliable sources are telling me that there is developing a conflict between the city councilmen building and/or expanding the liquor store and shelfing the baseball field.

What! Another town leaving their children to the wolves so the adults can play. Citizens of Big Stone you need to respond to this development immediately.

If this is true this is a poor reflection of the community leadership.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Will Big Stone City keep their promise to their children?   Will Big Stone City keep their promise to their children? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Will Big Stone City keep their promise to their children?
Page 1 of 1