Big Stone Lake Area Community Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place where Big Stone Lake (and surrounding) area citizens can discuss area news, events and matters of concern.

PortalHomeGalleryNew Law Allows Retirees and Vets to Salute Flag When Uncovered Coolte22Latest imagesSearchNew Law Allows Retirees and Vets to Salute Flag When Uncovered Coolte24Log inRegister

New Law Allows Retirees and Vets to Salute Flag When Uncovered

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Mustang
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Mustang

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2008-07-28

New Law Allows Retirees and Vets to Salute Flag When Uncovered Empty
PostSubject: New Law Allows Retirees and Vets to Salute Flag When Uncovered   New Law Allows Retirees and Vets to Salute Flag When Uncovered Icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2009 8:27 am

Traditionally, members of the nation’s veterans service organizations have rendered the hand-salute during the national anthem and at events involving the national flag only while wearing their organization’s official head-gear.

The National Defense Authorization Act of 2008 contained an amendment to allow un-uniformed servicemembers, military retirees, and veterans to render a hand salute during the hoisting, lowering, or passing of the U.S. flag.

A later amendment further authorized hand-salutes during the national anthem by veterans and out-of-uniform military personnel. This was included in the Defense Authorization Act of 2009, which President Bush signed on Oct. 14, 2008.
Back to top Go down
Lady Hawk
Admin
Admin
Lady Hawk

Number of posts : 622
Job/hobbies : Wife/Mother
Registration date : 2008-05-16

PostSubject: Re: New Law Allows Retirees and Vets to Salute Flag When Uncovered   New Law Allows Retirees and Vets to Salute Flag When Uncovered Icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2009 9:06 am

I always thought veterans were supposed to use the hand salute. As a civilian I had always put my right hand on my heart and thought former millitary were supposed to use the salute. It is good to know that it is official now.

Those military personnel who have been trained know how to salute the flag. Unfortunately the civilians of this nation have not all been educated on flag protocol. As a child in school when I was growing up we gave the pledge of allegiance. We were taught to stand up at attention, put your right hand on your heart and your left hand down at your side. The left hand is not supposed to be in your pocket or resting behind your back but straight down at your side.

When I worked at a public school many years ago, in a large city, it was a surprise to find that the children did not do the pledge of allegiance. How would the children learn this? One day orders came down from the school district that all classrooms were to do the pledge in the morning. There was a scramble to find flags for each classroom. One of the teachers bitterly complained that it was pointless because the children wouldn't know what a "whichitstands" is. I momentarily forgot my place, as I was only an underling, and couldn't hold my tongue and retorted to her, "Well, your a teacher, teach it to them." Ai-yi-yi

Mustang, do you know where one can read about flag etiquette?
Back to top Go down
nascargirl
Super Poster
Super Poster
nascargirl

Number of posts : 236
Registration date : 2008-06-08

PostSubject: Flag   New Law Allows Retirees and Vets to Salute Flag When Uncovered Icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2009 8:13 pm

There are probably other sites regarding US Flag Etiquette, but I did locate this one:
US Flag

One of the first things in Girl Scouts we learned was how to fold a flag correctly...and after ALL these years I can do it in my sleep! Sleep

On Computer
nascargirl
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Law Allows Retirees and Vets to Salute Flag When Uncovered   New Law Allows Retirees and Vets to Salute Flag When Uncovered Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Law Allows Retirees and Vets to Salute Flag When Uncovered
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Big Stone Lake Area Community Forums :: Everything Military :: Operation Canteen-
Jump to: