Big Stone Lake Area Community Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place where Big Stone Lake (and surrounding) area citizens can discuss area news, events and matters of concern.

PortalHomeGallery4-H Arts-In a safe "clickless" place for children to grow. Coolte22Latest imagesSearch4-H Arts-In a safe "clickless" place for children to grow. Coolte24Log inRegister

4-H Arts-In a safe "clickless" place for children to grow.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Lady Hawk
Admin
Admin
Lady Hawk

Number of posts : 622
Job/hobbies : Wife/Mother
Registration date : 2008-05-16

4-H Arts-In a safe "clickless" place for children to grow. Empty
PostSubject: 4-H Arts-In a safe "clickless" place for children to grow.   4-H Arts-In a safe "clickless" place for children to grow. Icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2009 10:02 am

"Out of every adversity there is a seed of an equal or greater benefit."

I do not know where that quote came from but it has been one I have lived by for many years. That quote came to my mind when last August the 4-H States Arts-In program was cancelled. The children were VERY disappointed to leave but they did as they were instructed. The leadership however showed what they were made of when they announced to the children via email that they were going to have a retreat weekend so that they could once again get together and perform their "last performance of the year."

The retreat was scheduled for the first weekend in October. Of the 87 members of the program 80 showed up. Keep in mind that the 4-H Hilton at the MN State Fair is not heated but that didn't dampen the spirits of the youth.

Kirsten Delp, Director of the MN State Arts-In program, has a vision of what Arts-In is about and the real purpose of the program is not just to put on a show. It is about the growth and maturity of the participants. Each year on the last night of the State Fair the members of the troup gather together to talk about what they have learned. Due to the early release of the Arts-In participants they never had that chance and so Kirsten brought them back to complete their program.

I watched their final performance on Oct 4, 2009 and they were incredible. The energy and enthusiasm of the children was electrifying. It was on the drive back home with my children that I truly appreciated what Arts-In is about.

On Saturday night they had a campfire meeting and everyone had a chance to speak and tell what they felt and thought. One of the children stated that it didn't make any difference here what your name was, everyone comes here with a clean slate. Most of what the children said centered around how everyone was accepting and respectful to each other. That is what I had observed in this group. There were no "clicks." Everyone felt welcome.

The visual evidence of the 4-H Arts-In program is the performance at the Fair. The intrinsic evidence of the program is seeing children arrive and be so timid and shy that they can barely speak their name. Watch them as they work long hard hours and call it fun and see them come out of their shell

Kirsten Delp often speaks about the leadership skills that they are developing with this program. Leadership appears to come with confidence. That is what I see happening here. Children are gaining confidence in themselves because they can work and play in a safe environment that is free of judgment. They can grow because their attention isn't on survival everyday. Their attention is on "I can do this" and the other kids around them are encouraging them.

So, was there an equal or greater benefit? One of the things that my children mentioned is how much the students enjoyed the retreat. In the past when the had their campfire on the last night it was more rushed because they are all filled with thoughts of happenings at the fair, they have to get ready for the final performance the next day, they have to pack and a million other thoughts rushing by. With this separate retreat they had time for real reflection and time to spend with other kids. If they had not been sent home early they would never have had the opportunity to spend a quiet weekend at the 4-H Hilton. Kristopher Olson, one of the directors, said that they started their experience alone in the building when they came a week before the fair to practice and now it was appropriate that they finished it alone in the building.

Some of the leadership is looking into the possibility of making the "retreat" a regular part of the program. This wouldn't have happened if the children had not been sent home early. Was there a benefit from this adversity? I think so.
Back to top Go down
computerwhiz
Admin
Admin
computerwhiz

Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2008-05-15

4-H Arts-In a safe "clickless" place for children to grow. Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4-H Arts-In a safe "clickless" place for children to grow.   4-H Arts-In a safe "clickless" place for children to grow. Icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2009 11:44 am

What is unique about Arts-In is we all come in as equals. No one is better or more important either because of name, talents, or even years in the program.

When I first joined the program I was drawn because of my love for performing. When I went back this last summer, I went also because the friends I had made, and the new friends I would make.

It's a unique and amazing experience.
Back to top Go down
http://bigstonelakearearoyalty.blogspot.com

4-H Arts-In a safe "clickless" place for children to grow.
Page 1 of 1