Big Stone Lake Area Community Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place where Big Stone Lake (and surrounding) area citizens can discuss area news, events and matters of concern.

PortalHomeGalleryCAFO's Does Anybody Have A Solution? Coolte22Latest imagesSearchCAFO's Does Anybody Have A Solution? Coolte24Log inRegister

CAFO's Does Anybody Have A Solution?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
mouthpiece
Power Poster
Power Poster
mouthpiece

Number of posts : 721
Registration date : 2008-05-15

CAFO's Does Anybody Have A Solution? Empty
PostSubject: CAFO's Does Anybody Have A Solution?   CAFO's Does Anybody Have A Solution? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 8:28 am

For the last few days I have pondered my feelings about Grant County Commissioners response to the recent Grant County Concerned Citizens attempts to change setbacks. I am troubled that one side feels they have to win and the other side, take it or leave it.

CAFO's by their very nature pit neighbors against neighbors. Nationwide this is a major detracting feature of CAFO's. So how did the Grant County Attorney handle this issue? His opinion was this was a legal issue and bury the Petitioner's because their ideas do not matter. Is this the normal way we treat individuals with a differing opinion?

CAFO's and the problems they bring are not legal issues. They are political issues. The problem is that the tactics used are not in the best interest of the community. Elected officials that follow instead of lead need to be replaced and this group of Commissioners has failed the real test.

Here is the issue that Grant Couunty needs to resolve and with the intelluct we have in this community we need to sit down and find a solution.

There are two competing interests. The first employs numerous jobs at the plant in Milbank. It would be equally deplorable for the other side to take the position that "we do not care about jobs, we want to get rid of all CAFO's. This is poor and irresponsible. It does not take into account the needs of the cheese plant or its employees.

The evidence indicates that the demand for milk cannot be met entirely by family farmers and the could the costs of transportation of the milk to the cheese plant would increase, driving down profits. Those that advocate for the family farmers need to brainstorm and come up with ways to meet this issue head on.

Those that advocate that all family farmers are radical and selfish also miss the point. The studies indicated from the University of Iowa and other major universities do not support the CAFO's. All reliable studies indicate that the growth's of CAFO's will cause a deterioration of our rural communities to the point that we will have few laborers to meet the needs of the cheese plant?

Is this desirable? NO!

There is a gigantic middle ground and as long as we stop the discussions of the problem we will continue to move in a direction of self destruction.

Those that advocate a winner take all philosphy are creating an incredible disservice to our communities.

Our role as politicians is to solve problem. Politicians that are not stalwarts in solving problems need to be replaced.
Back to top Go down
CGGCE
CGGCE

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2009-11-04

PostSubject: Re: CAFO's Does Anybody Have A Solution?   CAFO's Does Anybody Have A Solution? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 9:51 am

Apparently you missed the part where the County Commission called for a special study group to be formed to gather more information, investigate current ordinances and area ordinances and form recommendations to reflect the changing needs of Grant County. They are to look at the entire Ordinance, Article XIII-Concentrated Animal Feeding Operation Regulations.

This is the same concept that Commissioner Tucholke proposed in a late 2008 hearing. He was unable to get a second when GCCC said they would not participate.
Back to top Go down
mouthpiece
Power Poster
Power Poster
mouthpiece

PostSubject: Motion For Further Study   CAFO's Does Anybody Have A Solution? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 10:14 am

I actually did see this motion in 2008 and presently. My concern is how we get there. Deny the request but grant studies? This seemed like a little bit of political manuevering.

I am also concerned that we need to meet the needs of the cheese plant. Everyone needs to be at the table to have a meaningful discussion.

Is this part of the plan? Was CGGCE satisfied with this proposal or are they going to continue to litigate?
Back to top Go down
CGGCE
CGGCE

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2009-11-04

PostSubject: Re: CAFO's Does Anybody Have A Solution?   CAFO's Does Anybody Have A Solution? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 11:30 am

Citizens for a Growing Grant County Economy has not and is not involved in any litigation. Representatives of the livestock and cheese industry hope to be participants in the special study group called for by the Commissioners. Carefully thought out changes to the GC Zoning Ordinance could be good for the economy and the environment.
Back to top Go down
mouthpiece
Power Poster
Power Poster
mouthpiece

PostSubject: Good Job!   CAFO's Does Anybody Have A Solution? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 11:43 am

Good Job! The newpaper report of this study group was unclear as to the direction of the group. The newspaper was my source of information.

Level heads will prevail and we need consensus. I think the cheese plants response is also well deserved and the county attorney as well.

My apology. The real news here is not what the vote was as reported by the newspaper. The real news is that there appears to be a willingness to sit down and find a solution.

Excellent to all involved.
Back to top Go down
Lady Hawk
Admin
Admin
Lady Hawk

Number of posts : 622
Job/hobbies : Wife/Mother
Registration date : 2008-05-16

PostSubject: Re: CAFO's Does Anybody Have A Solution?   CAFO's Does Anybody Have A Solution? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 6:13 pm

This has been very interesting. What has happened here is a continuation of a story. While we may read a story in a paper it is limited to it's scope and for some people there is still more to say. Dialog adds so much more to an event than one persons perspective. I appreciate the above dialog by both participants. Communication is the key to get things done.

I imagine with so many groups using similar initials (CGGCE, CCGC, and GCCC) it does get confusing. Thanks CGGCE for letting us know what Citizens for a Growing Grant County Economy are for.

CGGCE wrote:
Carefully thought out changes to the GC Zoning Ordinance could be good for the economy and the environment.

I agree in that if any good is to be done it needs to meet the criteria of filling the need for milk AND limiting the negative impact to the environment. My understanding is that as it stands now there are not enough small farms to fill the need. Therefore large ones have filled the gap. Any studies that are used should be accurate. With accurate studies better decisions can be made to benefit everyone. I look forward to hearing more on this subject from both sides.

If you will allow a lay person to ask a question. I was wondering about one thing. Is all this talk because there is a CAFO that wants to come in now or is all this talk because people are trying to establish the rules before anymore come in?
Back to top Go down
mouthpiece
Power Poster
Power Poster
mouthpiece

PostSubject: I Have Questions   CAFO's Does Anybody Have A Solution? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 8:49 pm

It has been a number of days and the issue of the task force just seems sitting there. Then I reviewed your posts and and I am curious to know how large is the task force? Why are the interests of the cattle owners different than the cheese plant? Who else is on the task force? How are the studies related to CAFO's going to be distributed or are we going to keep the masses uneducated?

Will there be meaningful discussions or much of the same thing as in the past meetings? Who is setting this up and who has been invited? What steps are being taken to assure that all sides will be listened to?

If anybody knows the answer to these questions let me know.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CAFO's Does Anybody Have A Solution?   CAFO's Does Anybody Have A Solution? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

CAFO's Does Anybody Have A Solution?
Page 1 of 1