Big Stone Lake Area Community Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place where Big Stone Lake (and surrounding) area citizens can discuss area news, events and matters of concern.

PortalHomeGalleryWHO ARE THE REAL LOSERS IN CORPORATE FARMING? Coolte22Latest imagesSearchWHO ARE THE REAL LOSERS IN CORPORATE FARMING? Coolte24Log inRegister

WHO ARE THE REAL LOSERS IN CORPORATE FARMING?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
mouthpiece
Power Poster
Power Poster
mouthpiece

Number of posts : 721
Registration date : 2008-05-15

WHO ARE THE REAL LOSERS IN CORPORATE FARMING? Empty
PostSubject: WHO ARE THE REAL LOSERS IN CORPORATE FARMING?   WHO ARE THE REAL LOSERS IN CORPORATE FARMING? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 9:28 pm

Probably the hottest topic in ag America today is bigger better.

As we continue to create large foreign corporate farms are we eliminating families, reducing our population and causing deterioration with our schools, communities and business.

Although one or two businesses may have a short term benefit, the long run indicates a continuing deterioration of our communities. Is this occurring in this area? Absolutely in Big Stone County and in Grant County there was a recent national article about the decreasing populations in both counties.

Is economic development that discourages population growth a proper goal? Absolutely not! The most valuable asset we have is population.

For instance in a related thread there was a point made about buying out a dairy farmer in Pipestone, Minnesota. The income from this family farm that was displaced was over $100,000 and the loss of a family.

A family that would spend $100,000 and this money would circulate within the community three times.

Large feedlots and corporations oftentimes get a discount and deliberately avoid buying in the local market and replace the family farmer with transient minimum wage jobs.

I understand that from an economic standpoint the dairy manufacturer may have higher expenses in trucking with three family farms instead of one corporate farm. Does this justify economic development that decreases population?

Let's say we had a $100,000 for a young family farm to begin. Would it be wiser to give the money to a small family farmer or a corporate farm?

I do not wish this thread to stray with the Concerned Citizens thread. I do not believe the answer is control by state government and I have voiced my opposition to Lighting boy.

I have an open mind and wish to allow both sides to be heard. Let's listen because this is a great avenue to communicate freely and to advocate a position so that all can hear both sides.
Back to top Go down
joelie hicks
Power Poster
Power Poster
joelie hicks

Number of posts : 262
Registration date : 2008-09-21

WHO ARE THE REAL LOSERS IN CORPORATE FARMING? Empty
PostSubject: Re: WHO ARE THE REAL LOSERS IN CORPORATE FARMING?   WHO ARE THE REAL LOSERS IN CORPORATE FARMING? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 11, 2008 12:43 am

Who are the losers?
The neighbors.
The workers.
The taxpayers.
The land.
The air.
The water.
The animals.
The consumers.
Back to top Go down

WHO ARE THE REAL LOSERS IN CORPORATE FARMING?
Page 1 of 1