Big Stone Lake Area Community Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place where Big Stone Lake (and surrounding) area citizens can discuss area news, events and matters of concern.

PortalHomeGalleryDan Meyer's columns 2008 VA Pension, GI Bill Chapter 33,Disability Compensation, Agent Orange Coolte22Latest imagesSearchDan Meyer's columns 2008 VA Pension, GI Bill Chapter 33,Disability Compensation, Agent Orange Coolte24Log inRegister

Dan Meyer's columns 2008 VA Pension, GI Bill Chapter 33,Disability Compensation, Agent Orange

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Lady Hawk
Admin
Admin
Lady Hawk

Number of posts : 622
Job/hobbies : Wife/Mother
Registration date : 2008-05-16

Dan Meyer's columns 2008 VA Pension, GI Bill Chapter 33,Disability Compensation, Agent Orange Empty
PostSubject: Dan Meyer's columns 2008 VA Pension, GI Bill Chapter 33,Disability Compensation, Agent Orange   Dan Meyer's columns 2008 VA Pension, GI Bill Chapter 33,Disability Compensation, Agent Orange Icon_minitimeFri Jul 25, 2008 5:03 pm

I saw this article and thought others might benefit from reading it. soldier

The Veterans Viewpoint
By: Dan Meyer

The office hours for the Lac qui Parle County Veterans Service Office are 8:30 am - 4:30 pm Monday through Friday. My office phone number is (320) 598-3445. If there is an emergency of any sort I can b e reached at my home at (320) 839-2676. I do have an answering machine at home.

What is VA Pension for veterans? Pension is a benefit paid to wartime veterans with limited income, and who are permanently and totally disabled or age 65 or older.

Who is eligible? Generally, you may be eligible if: (1) you were discharged from service under conditions other than dishonorable, and (2) you served 90 days or more of active duty with at least 1 day during a period of war time*, and (3) your countable family income is below a yearly limit set by law, and (4) you are permanently and totally disabled (not due to your own willful misconduct) or you are age 65 or older.

*Note: Anyone who enlists after September 7, 1980, generally must have serv ed at least 24 months or the full period for which called or ordered to active duty. Service from August 2, 1990 to present is considered to be a period of war (Gulf War) in addition to other periods of war such as World War II, Korea and Vietnam.

How much does VA pay? VA pays you the difference between your countable family income and the yearly income limit (situational income charts are available at my office). The difference is generally paid in 12 equal monthly payments rounded down to the nearest dollar.

If I am already receiving monthly payments or a service-connected disability can I also get Va pension? No, you cannot received a VA non-service connected pension and service-connected compensation at the same time, however, if you qualify for a pension and are awarded payments, VA will pay you whichever benefit is the grater amount.

How do I apply for veterans non-service connected pension? You can apply by filling out VA Form 21-526, Veteran's Application for Compensation and /or Pension. If available, attach copies of dependency records (marriage & children's birth certificates) and current medical evidence (doctor and hospital reports). You can also apply online through the following VA website at http://vabenefits.vba.va.gov/vonapp. For more information, call toll-free 1-800-827-1000, or visit the web site at www.va.gov.

Remember, to contact your county veterans service officer for information concerning the application process, countable income for veterans pension eligibility, net worth requirements, exclusions to income or deductions to reduce countable income, how VA calculates your pension, and questions concerning Aid and Attendance, and Housebound benefits.

In the "Did You Know?" segment. Disney Would Vacation Offer for Veterans Shades of Green (R) on WALT DISNEW WORLD (R) Resort wants to extend a thank you to all veterans through the "Salute to Our Veterans" program.

Traditionally, Shades of Green has been available only to eligible Active and Retired Military, National Guard, Reserves, and Department of Defense and Coast Guard civilians. For the first time, Shades of Green wants to invite all veterans that have been honorably discharged to spend a well-deserved vacation at its spectacular 586 room resort.

Reservations are available at Shades of Green any January and September. They also would be happy to assist in making reservations within the Disney area for other months of the year. For more information and links to obtain a copy of your DD-214, visit: www.shadesofgreenvets.org or call (407) 827-8387 or contact your local county veterans service officer.

Until next week, take care and "Fair winds and following seas." sailing

-------------------------------------------------------
August 1, 2008

The office hours for the Lac qui Parle County Veterans Service Office are 8:30 am - 4:30 pm Monday through Friday. My office phone number is (320) 598-3445. [font=Arial]If there is an emergency of any sort I can be reached at my home at (320) 839-2676. I do have an answering machine at home.

The new GI Bill (Chapter 33) the “GI Bill for the 21st Century,” offers the most comprehensive education package since the original GI Gill was signed into law in 1944. This new bill goes beyond helping veterans pay for tuition; many veterans who served after September 11, 2001, will receive full tuition and fees, a new monthly housing stipend and a $1,000 a year allowance for books and supplies.

The bill also allows Reserve and Guard members who have been activated for more than 90 days since 9/11 access to the same GI Bill benefit. For more information visit [url=http://education.military.com/money-for-school/gi-bill/new-gi-bill-overview]http://education.military.com/money-for-school/gi-bill/new-gi-bill-overview[/url].

In other news. From the pages of the Disabled American Veterans Magazine - Sesame Street helps youngsters of military families. Nearly all servicemembers come home for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan changed by their experiences. Their families also are affected by war, especially their children.

"The loving mother and/or father who went off to war returns different than before," said National Adjutant Arthur H. Wilson. "While adults discuss the changes, it's hard for children. Even harder for these children is when a parent returns home with a physical or mental disability as a result of their service."

Now, a new program featuring the "Sesame Street" characters Rosita and Elmo is aimed at helping children learn how to adapt to the changes that war has made in their lives.

Called Talk, Listen, Connect: Deployments, Homecomings, Changes, the program is designed by experts to help military families with young children between the ages of two and five build a sense of stability and resiliency during times of separation and change.

About 500,00 of these bilingual (English/Spanish) outreach kits with DVDs featuring the Muppets of Sesame Street are available to active duty military, National Guard and Reserve families, schools, child care programs, hospitals and rehabilitation centers serving the needs of military families.

The kits are available by calling 800-342-9647 or visit the "Sesame Street" Web site at [url=http://www.sesameworkshop.org/tlc]www.sesameworkshop.org/tlc[/url].

In the "Did You Know?" segment. Did you know about the Military Pet Foster Care Project? A nationwide and global network of individual foster homes for deployed military personnel pets will house, nurture and shelter dogs, cats, bird, horses and all other pets for military personnel ONLY. This organization provides only temporary care and the pets will return to the owner upon their return.

For more information visit their website at [url=http://www.netpets.org/netp/foster.php]www.netpets.org/netp/foster.php[/url]. This project is recognized by the U.S. Department of Defense as the pet assistance provider.

Until next week, take care and "Fair winds and following seas."

---------------------------------------------
July, 31, 2008 GI Bill-Chapter 33- Expanded resources for Children

The office hours for the Lac qui Parle County Veterans Service Office are 8:30 am - 4:30 pm Monday through Friday. My office phone number is (320) 598-3445. [font=Arial]If there is an emergency of any sort I can be reached at my home at (320) 839-2676. I do have an answering machine at home.

The new GI Bill (Chapter 33) the “GI Bill for the 21st Century,” offers the most comprehensive education package since the original GI Gill was signed into law in 1944. This new bill goes beyond helping veterans pay for tuition; many veterans who served after September 11, 2001, will receive full tuition and fees, a new monthly housing stipend and a $1,000 a year allowance for books and supplies.

The bill also allows Reserve and Guard members who have been activated for more than 90 days since 9/11 access to the same GI Bill benefit. For more information visit http://education.military.com/money-for-school/gi-bill/new-gi-bill-overview.

In other news. From the pages of the Disabled American Veterans Magazine - Sesame Street helps youngsters of military families. Nearly all servicemembers come home for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan changed by their experiences. Their families also are affected by war, especially their children.

"The loving mother and/or father who went off to war returns different than before," said National Adjutant Arthur H. Wilson. "While adults discuss the changes, it's hard for children. Even harder for these children is when a parent returns home with a physical or mental disability as a result of their service."

Now, a new program featuring the "Sesame Street" characters Rosita and Elmo is aimed at helping children learn how to adapt to the changes that war has made in their lives.

Called Talk, Listen, Connect: Deployments, Homecomings, Changes, the program is designed by experts to help military families with young children between the ages of two and five build a sense of stability and resiliency during times of separation and change.

About 500,00 of these bilingual (English/Spanish) outreach kits with DVDs featuring the Muppets of Sesame Street are available to active duty military, National Guard and Reserve families, schools, child care programs, hospitals and rehabilitation centers serving the needs of military families.

The kits are available by calling 800-342-9647 or visit the "Sesame Street" Web site at www.sesameworkshop.org/tlc.

In the "Did You Know?" segment. Did you know about the Military Pet Foster Care Project? A nationwide and global network of individual foster homes for deployed military personnel pets will house, nurture and shelter dogs, cats, bird, horses and all other pets for military personnel ONLY. This organization provides only temporary care and the pets will return to the owner upon their return.

For more information visit their website at www.netpets.org/netp/foster.php. This project is recognized by the U.S. Department of Defense as the pet assistance provider.

Last edited by Lady Hawk on Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:49 pm; edited 5 times in total (Reason for editing : Expanded title)
Back to top Go down
mouthpiece
Power Poster
Power Poster
mouthpiece

Number of posts : 721
Registration date : 2008-05-15

Dan Meyer's columns 2008 VA Pension, GI Bill Chapter 33,Disability Compensation, Agent Orange Empty
PostSubject: Dan Meyer's Column 8/07/08 Disability Compensation - Dependents Manual   Dan Meyer's columns 2008 VA Pension, GI Bill Chapter 33,Disability Compensation, Agent Orange Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 10:14 pm

The office hours for the Lac qui Parle County
Veterans Service Office are 8:30 am - 4:30 pm Monday through Friday.
My office phone number is (320) 598-3445. If there is an
emergency of any sort I can be reached at my home at (320) 839-2676. I do
have an answering machine at home.

NEWS FLASH! Mr. Richard Johnson, the Big
Stone County Veterans Service Officer, and I will have a Veterans Benefit Booth
for veterans and their families at the Corn Fest in Ortonville, located at
Lake Side Park on the August 15, 16, and 17. In addition, I will be at the
Lac qui Parle County Fair in Madison, on September 4, 5, 6, and 7. Stop by
and lets talk about your service to our great nation and your possible
eligibility to VA benefits.

Some veterans and their family members may be
asking, "Why should we stop by?" You have proudly served our nation;
because "Freedom is Not Free!" Now, its our turn to serve
you and your family. Your children can receive and discuss United States
Flag Etiquette, view the POW/MIA Ceremonial Table and our "Book of
Honor." Veterans will be able to discuss VA benefits
and your eligibility status.

As a veteran or family member, you can receive
a Federal Benefits for Veterans and Dependents Manual, VA Benefit Fact Sheets,
information pamphlets, important VA telephone contacts,
education/pension/disability compensation benefits, and get the steps necessary
to order a Presidential Memorial Certificate in honor of a deceased veteran,
and much more!

In other news. What is VA Disability Compensation?
Disability compensation is a monetary benefit paid to a veteran because of
injuries or diseases that happened while on active duty, or were made worse by
active military service. These disabilities are considered to be
service-connected. You may be eligible if you have a service-related
disability and you were discharged under other than dishonorable
conditions.

Disability compensation varies with the degree of disability and the number
of dependents, and is paid monthly. The basic benefit paid each month
ranges from $117 to $2,527. You can apply for this benefit by your local
county veterans service officer and filling out VA Form 21-526, Veteran's
Application for Compensation and/or Pension.

In the "Did You Know?" segment. The
Armed Forces Service Center (AFSC) is a unique one-of-a -kind facility located
on the premises of Minneapolis International Airport. A variety of
veterans organizations and auxiliaries, as well as private donations, help fund
this airport oasis for military personnel. Currently the center is headed
up by Debra Cain and is open 24 hours a day/seven days a week. In order to
continue these efforts, the AFSC requires the continued support of the
community. If you would like to donate to the AFSC or volunteer please

Until next week, take care
and "Fair winds and following
seas."

Last edited by Lady Hawk on Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:18 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Expanded title and cleaned up html.)
Back to top Go down
Lady Hawk
Admin
Admin
Lady Hawk

Number of posts : 622
Job/hobbies : Wife/Mother
Registration date : 2008-05-16

PostSubject: Nothing short of amazing.   Dan Meyer's columns 2008 VA Pension, GI Bill Chapter 33,Disability Compensation, Agent Orange Icon_minitimeSat Aug 09, 2008 5:33 pm

I found the website for the Armed Forces Service Center.

It was incredible reading about how it was started in 1970 and continues 24/7 to this day.

Their website has an incredible list of every organization available to veterans in Minnesota and nationally.

You can find them at www.mnafsc.org On Computer

A worthy cause.

Thanks for mentioning them Dan.
Back to top Go down
mouthpiece
Power Poster
Power Poster
mouthpiece

Number of posts : 721
Registration date : 2008-05-15

PostSubject: Dan Meyer's Column 8/25/08 - Agent Orange Equity Act of 2008.   Dan Meyer's columns 2008 VA Pension, GI Bill Chapter 33,Disability Compensation, Agent Orange Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2008 9:31 pm

The Veterans Viewpoint.

The office hours for the Lac qui Parle County
Veterans Service Office are 8:30 am - 4:30 pm Monday through Friday.
My office phone number is (320) 598-3445. [font=Arial]If there is an
emergency of any sort I can be reached at my home at (320) 839-2676. I do
have an answering machine at
home.

September
19th is National POW/MIA Recognition Day. I'll have a POW/MIA information
booth in Madison that day, in front of the Klein Bank. In addition, were
working of handing out red lapel ribbons for all those who stop by in honor of
all our Nation's POW/MIAs.

NEWS FLASH. Agent Orange Bill Introduced. House
Veterans' Affairs Committee Chairman Bob Filner (D-CA) recently announced the
introduction of H.R. 6562, the Agent Orange Equity Act of 2008. The bill
would restore equity to all Vietnam veterans that were exposed to Agent Orange.
Currently, VA requires Vietnam veterans to prove "foot on land" in order to
qualify for the presumptions of service-connection for herbicide-exposure
related illnesses. The Agent Orange Equity Act of 2008 is intended to
clarify the law so that every servicemember awarded the Vietnam Service medal is
fully covered by the comprehensive Agent Orange laws Congress passed in

This Bill introduced to amend title 38, United States Code,
relating to presumptions of exposure for veterans who served in the vicinity of
Vietnam.

Section 1. Short Title - This Act may be cited as the
"Agent Orange Equity Act of 2008."

Section 2. Clarification of presumptions of exposure for
veterans who served in the vicinity of Vietnam - Effective on and after
September 25, 1985, subsections (a) and (f) of section 1116 of title 38, United
States Code, are each amended by inserting after "Republic of Vietnam" each
place it appears the following: "including the inland waterways of such
Republic, the waters offshore of such Republic, and the airspace above such
Republic."

I'll keep you posted if the bill passes the government's
litmus test.

In the "Did You Know?" segment. Agent Orange - Prostate
Cancer Linked? UC Davis Cancer Center physicians released research
data showing that Vietnam War veterans exposed to Agent Orange have greatly
increased risks of prostate cancer and even greater risks of getting the most
aggressive form of the disease, compared to those who were not exposed.
Based on medical evaluations conducted between 1998 and 2006
of 13,000 Vietnam veterans, twice as many veterans exposed to Agent Orange were
identified with prostate cancer.

The findings will appear in the Sept. 15, 2008 issue of the
Journal of Cancer. A copy of the study can be requested by e-mailing
Amy Molnar at amolnar@wiley.com. For more information on
the UC Davis Cancer Center visit its website: UC Davis Cancer Center

Until next week, take care
and "Fair winds and following
seas."

Last edited by Lady Hawk on Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:04 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Expanded title and cleaned up html.)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dan Meyer's columns 2008 VA Pension, GI Bill Chapter 33,Disability Compensation, Agent Orange   Dan Meyer's columns 2008 VA Pension, GI Bill Chapter 33,Disability Compensation, Agent Orange Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dan Meyer's columns 2008 VA Pension, GI Bill Chapter 33,Disability Compensation, Agent Orange
Page 1 of 1