Big Stone Lake Area Community Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place where Big Stone Lake (and surrounding) area citizens can discuss area news, events and matters of concern.

PortalHomeGalleryVA and Disability Compensation Coolte22Latest imagesSearchVA and Disability Compensation Coolte24Log inRegister

VA and Disability Compensation

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Reporter
Super Poster
Super Poster
Reporter

Number of posts : 241
Job/hobbies : Report the news.
Registration date : 2009-08-04

VA and Disability Compensation Empty
PostSubject: VA and Disability Compensation   VA and Disability Compensation Icon_minitimeMon Jun 14, 2010 6:44 am

By: Dan Meyer

The office hours for the Big Stone County Veterans Service Office are 7:30 am – 4:00 pm Monday through Friday. My office phone number is (320) 839-6398.

A "Veteran" -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to, and including his or her life."

Are you a veteran and have hearing loss and/or ringing in your ear(s) that was caused by military noise exposure? This question applies to all branches of service, to include the Army National Guard members who were not called to active duty (excluding basic training and AIT).

What is Disability Compensation? Disability compensation is a tax-free benefit paid to a veteran for disabilities that are a result of or made worse (aggravated) by injuries or disease that happened while on active duty, active duty for training, or inactive duty training. Disability compensation is also paid to certain veterans disabled from VA health care.

Who is eligible? You may be eligible for disability compensation if you have a service-related disability and you were discharged under other than dishonorable conditions.

How much does VA pay? The amount of basic benefit paid ranges for $123 to $2,673 per month, depending on how disabled you are. I must be noted that you may be paid additional amounts, in certain instances, if: you have very severe disabilities or loss of limb(s); you have a spouse, child(ren), or dependent parent(s); and/or you have a seriously disabled spouse.

How can I apply? You can apply by filling out VA Form 21-526 (Parts A, B, and C), Veterans Application for Compensation and/or Pension. The following information/documents should be attached to your application: Discharge or separation papers (DD 214 or equivalent); dependency records (marriage & children’s birth certificates); and medical evidence (doctor & hospital reports).

As always, give me a call or stop by my office, and we’ll set up an appointment to complete all the paperwork together.

Until next week, take care and “Fair Winds and Following Seas!”
Back to top Go down

VA and Disability Compensation
Page 1 of 1