Big Stone Lake Area Community Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place where Big Stone Lake (and surrounding) area citizens can discuss area news, events and matters of concern.

PortalHomeGalleryState Representative Jason Frerichs Legislative Update Coolte22Latest imagesSearchState Representative Jason Frerichs Legislative Update Coolte24Log inRegister

State Representative Jason Frerichs Legislative Update

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Reporter
Super Poster
Super Poster
Reporter

Number of posts : 241
Job/hobbies : Report the news.
Registration date : 2009-08-04

State Representative Jason Frerichs Legislative Update Empty
PostSubject: State Representative Jason Frerichs Legislative Update   State Representative Jason Frerichs Legislative Update Icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 9:51 pm

Timing is Everything in the Legislature

A year ago I remember very clear when the buzz around the State Capitol building was the federal stimulus money flowing into South Dakota. Officials from the Governor’s Office of Management and Budget working with the legislative branch prepared various amendments to our general appropriations bill to ensure the state would benefit from the federal funds.

Timing is important this spring, especially as we think about all of the moisture that has appeared due to thawing, what is left in the snowpack, and this new precipitation. Last Friday, the citizens of Big Stone Lake hosted a meeting and various officials presented information on the expected flooding in the northeast part of the state. All of us need to be sure and prepare our property for potential flooding, and if we need assistance, the County Emergency Management folks are a solid contact point.

Recently in the State House, we approved a bill, brought to us by Senator Nancy Turbak-Berry, which guaranteed insured people must be “made-whole” before their insurance company. Limited situations would involve the opportunity where an injured person is awarded liability dollars.

Local governments in Legislative District One (Roberts, Day, and Marshall Counties) will receive a total of at least $150,000 over the next three years pending the approval of SB 65. After deferring to produce new license plates for five years, this money became available. Yes, all of us have paid to receive new license plates; however, local governments are in dire need of any help that can be provided, and I think we can go a few more years without replacing our license plates.

On the topic of timing, most of you who own agriculture land have probably had the opportunity to receive our notices on the assessment of your land for property taxes. This is the first year to implement the new productivity method for valuing agriculture land. There certainly are questions out there as to why certain assessments have been inflated. First off, I encourage you to explore why your assessment has been adjusted and be sure to explore any adjustments that have been applied in the past. Patience and willingness to change should be at the forefront for us as we adapt to this new system. We know the productivity method will need some work, but lets do all we can to move forward.

Both chambers of the legislature gave final approval to a bill that will allow any landowner or operator to receive two antlerless deer tags (free of charge!) to be used for depredation issues.

I continue to monitor HB 1155, which requires wind metering towers to be properly marked and be clearly visible. Throughout the whole process, I have worked with the crop dusters, wind companies, and the Department of Transportation. I find it interesting, after hearing second hand information from folks in the Capitol, that a lawyer for a wind company that has not engaged in our discussion on the bill is working to have the Governor veto HB 1155. I have made every effort to inform this lawyer about the intention of the bill. However, this “back-door” approach is foolish, and I think gives a bad image for our political process. I always like to be upfront and take issues face value while discovering the intent and possible effects of implementation. Hopefully, the Governor will agree with me and show this lobbyist that he had a fair opportunity to change or defeat the bill in the committee process.

This time of the legislative session is primarily focused on conference committees, which have the purpose of appealing to both chambers and both caucuses to find a compromise on a piece of legislation. Simply amending the pending legislation may be the goal, but during these conference committees, drastic changes could occur when deciding our laws. I have served on a conference committee that puts into statute requirements on corporations involved in campaign financing. This is in direct response to the recent United States Supreme Court decision allowing corporations to support political campaigns.

Our 2010 Legislative Session is rapidly approaching the end. The Budget continues to be up in the air, and there is conflict between the majority part and the Governor’s Office.

Please keep me informed of any issues and concerns that are important to you. You can reach me at 949-2204. My email is rep.frerichs@state.sd.us. Check out www.jasonfrerichs.com for updates. Follow me on twitter at www.twitter.com/jasonfrerichs
Back to top Go down

State Representative Jason Frerichs Legislative Update
Page 1 of 1