Big Stone Lake Area Community Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place where Big Stone Lake (and surrounding) area citizens can discuss area news, events and matters of concern.

PortalHomeGalleryVal Rausch candidate for SD State Representative answers your questions Coolte22Latest imagesSearchVal Rausch candidate for SD State Representative answers your questions Coolte24Log inRegister

Val Rausch candidate for SD State Representative answers your questions

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Lady Hawk
Admin
Admin
Lady Hawk

Number of posts : 622
Job/hobbies : Wife/Mother
Registration date : 2008-05-16

Val Rausch candidate for SD State Representative answers your questions Empty
PostSubject: Val Rausch candidate for SD State Representative answers your questions   Val Rausch candidate for SD State Representative answers your questions Icon_minitimeWed Sep 17, 2008 9:23 am

To all interested people, Val Rausch is now online at The Forums and ready to answer any questions you may have or listen to any comments you may want to make. On Computer

This is an opportunity to visit with Val and get to know your State Representative.

The question I would like to ask you Val is, "What goal do you want to achieve in the upcoming legislative session?" Smile
Back to top Go down
mouthpiece
Power Poster
Power Poster
mouthpiece

Number of posts : 721
Registration date : 2008-05-15

PostSubject: How do we bring more and younger attorneys to our area?   Val Rausch candidate for SD State Representative answers your questions Icon_minitimeWed Sep 17, 2008 1:17 pm

Val;

There is a real need for new and younger attorneys to the entire outstate of South Dakota. What are your ideas in this regard?

By the way, keep up the good work! It is good to know that we still have strong people with good moral fibers at Pierre.
Back to top Go down
lightninboy
Super Poster
Super Poster

Number of posts : 198
Registration date : 2008-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Val Rausch candidate for SD State Representative answers your questions   Val Rausch candidate for SD State Representative answers your questions Icon_minitimeTue Oct 21, 2008 5:39 pm

I have some questions for Val Rausch.

If you really believe that it would be better if Valley Queen Cheese Factory, Inc., bought all of its milk from small family farms, would it be wrong to do what you could to make that happen? Since you voted for SB173, you did do what you could to make the opposite happen.

http://www.state.sd.us/doa/ag%20policy/zoningco_list/GrantCountyz1.pdf
In Grant County, must a CAFO of 10 animal units observe the half-mile setback law?

How should a CAFO violation of the half-mile setback law in Grant County be handled?
By reporting it to the DENR?
By reporting it to the Grant County commissioners?
By reporting it to the Grant County Planning and Zoning commission?
By suing the CAFO for violating the half-mile setback law?
Back to top Go down
Rep Rausch
Rep Rausch

Number of posts : 7
Job/hobbies : State Representative/ Cemetery Work
Registration date : 2008-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Val Rausch candidate for SD State Representative answers your questions   Val Rausch candidate for SD State Representative answers your questions Icon_minitimeWed Oct 22, 2008 9:18 am

sorry for the delay in the response. I'm still not very good at finding my way around. As much as I would like to see family farms provide all the milk the Cheese factories need, it just is not possible. Too many family farms have stopped milking or stopped farming altogether. Companies have a right to expand their businesses and how they do that under the law is totally up to them.

Reporting violations should be first brought to the attention of the County Commission. They should investigate and report it to the DENR for their investigation. If the parties are found to be in violation the DENR will force compliance and resolve the situation.

I suppose a law suit could be filed, but that usually would only be the last resort. If the DENR finds no fault the courts would probably have the same decision.
Back to top Go down
Rep Rausch
Rep Rausch

PostSubject: attorneys   Val Rausch candidate for SD State Representative answers your questions Icon_minitimeWed Oct 22, 2008 9:49 am

I jokingly say don't we have enough attorneys?? I'm not sure what causes the concern. Craig Ash, Mark Reedstrom, Greg Grajczyk, Bill Watson, Ron Frauenshuh, David McLaughlin are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. they would be between 40 and 55. Not real young but my age, not old. It would be nice to have fresh young attorneys, but the amount of work needs to be present. I have not heard we have a shortage and have not heard we have a work overload for the ones we have. I know the amount of attorneys in the state is healthy and to get them into the rural area should not be too hard if the work is there.
Back to top Go down
lightninboy
Super Poster
Super Poster

PostSubject: Re: Val Rausch candidate for SD State Representative answers your questions   Val Rausch candidate for SD State Representative answers your questions Icon_minitimeWed Oct 22, 2008 6:22 pm

Dear Rep Rausch,
Thank you for your reply.

In Grant County, must a CAFO of 10 animal units observe the half-mile setback law?
What does
http://www.state.sd.us/doa/ag%20policy/zoningco_list/GrantCountyz1.pdf
say about the matter?

Rep Rausch wrote:

As much as I would like to see family farms provide all the milk the Cheese factories need, it just is not possible. Too many family farms have stopped milking or stopped farming altogether. Companies have a right to expand their businesses and how they do that under the law is totally up to them.

With the threat of Valley Queen Cheese Factory, Inc., pulling the rug out from under them, why should local family farmers start new small dairies to sell milk to Valley Queen Cheese Factory, Inc.?

You voting for SB173 is pulling the rug out from under them, Rep Rausch.

Rep Rausch wrote:

Reporting violations should be first brought to the attention of the County Commission.

Rep Rausch told me in an email that the violation should be reported to the DENR.

Were you wrong earlier in saying that the violation should be reported to the DENR, Rep Rausch?

Rep Rausch wrote:

They should investigate and report it to the DENR for their investigation.

What should be done if the County Commission does not investigate and report it to the DENR for their investigation, Rep Rausch?

Rep Rausch wrote:

If the parties are found to be in violation the DENR will force compliance and resolve the situation.

What should be done if the parties are in violation and the DENR will not force compliance and resolve the situation, Rep Rausch?

Rep Rausch wrote:

I suppose a law suit could be filed, but that usually would only be the last resort. If the DENR finds no fault the courts would probably have the same decision.

If a lawsuit usually would be the last resort, why did Grant County make it the first resort, Rep Rausch?

Grant County Commissioners Proceedings

September 30, 2008

The Grant County Commission met at 8 AM with Commissioners Dummann, Mann, Stengel and Tucholke present. Chairman Mann presided. Commissioner Forrette was absent.

Zoning: Twp. Supervisor Keith Christians asked if there is a time
frame for a conditional use permit to be used or are they always
active once the permit is approved. DOE Conrad explained a
conditional use permit is good for 2 years. If the project has not
been started within a 2 year period, the conditional use permit does
expire. A discussion was held on the enforcement of conditions placed
on the conditional use permit. Chairman Mann explained if a complaint
is brought to the P & Z Board, the complaint will be investigated.
Also discussed was the one-half mile set backs for a CAFO to a well
location. The engineer preparing the site drawing for a dairy does
the measurements to determine the one-half mile setback line. The
question arose if all wells are being located and what recourse a
landowner has. The landowner can appeal to the circuit court.
Back to top Go down
Rep Rausch
Rep Rausch

PostSubject: Re: Val Rausch candidate for SD State Representative answers your questions   Val Rausch candidate for SD State Representative answers your questions Icon_minitimeWed Oct 22, 2008 7:50 pm

I'm not sure what the document says. The city attorney would be able to tell you, or even the chair of the planning and zoning! Sorry! I'm not an attorney. thanks, Val
Back to top Go down
Rep Rausch
Rep Rausch

PostSubject: Re: Val Rausch candidate for SD State Representative answers your questions   Val Rausch candidate for SD State Representative answers your questions Icon_minitimeWed Oct 22, 2008 7:52 pm

i missed a second part of that question. i would have no idea why the Grant Co Commissioner chose that action. I'm not a member, nor do I attend their meetings. You will have to ask them. Sorry
Back to top Go down
lightninboy
Super Poster
Super Poster

PostSubject: Re: Val Rausch candidate for SD State Representative answers your questions   Val Rausch candidate for SD State Representative answers your questions Icon_minitimeWed Oct 22, 2008 8:06 pm

Rep Rausch wrote:
I'm not sure what the document says. The city attorney would be able to tell you, or even the chair of the planning and zoning! Sorry! I'm not an attorney. thanks, Val
Doesn't your computer have a pdf reader, Rep Rausch?

Last edited by lightninboy on Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
lightninboy
Super Poster
Super Poster

PostSubject: Re: Val Rausch candidate for SD State Representative answers your questions   Val Rausch candidate for SD State Representative answers your questions Icon_minitimeWed Oct 22, 2008 8:09 pm

Rep Rausch wrote:
i missed a second part of that question. i would have no idea why the Grant Co Commissioner chose that action. I'm not a member, nor do I attend their meetings. You will have to ask them. Sorry
You did not answer my questions, Rep Rausch. If you insist on shoving CAFOs down Grant County citizens' throats, you should become familiar with CAFO regulation enforcement, Rep Rausch.
Back to top Go down
mouthpiece
Power Poster
Power Poster
mouthpiece

PostSubject: Why do we always look for government for the answer?   Val Rausch candidate for SD State Representative answers your questions Icon_minitimeWed Oct 22, 2008 8:32 pm

Why do we always look for government for the answer? Sleep

As I read this thread there is a constant attack waiting for someone at some level of government to fight off the big evil CAFO.

A political solution is almost unheard of when attempting to fight off large feedlots and corporate farms. Even if there were a state law allowing a solution to this problem, who is going to enforce having a well too close to a feedlot? The answer, a local official. When Minnesota went to enforcement by the MPCA it actually politicized the problem. Big feedlot companies bought off St. Paul politicians and now we have a real problem.

The only real solution to this problem is an inverse condemnation proceeding. In Minnesota a county did not enforce a CUP condition and it appears that the county will have to buy the damaged land for about 1/2 million dollars.

The next CAFO this county will enforce the CUP conditions.

I do not believe there is a good political solution. scratch
Back to top Go down
Lady Hawk
Admin
Admin
Lady Hawk

Number of posts : 622
Job/hobbies : Wife/Mother
Registration date : 2008-05-16

PostSubject: What about your plans?   Val Rausch candidate for SD State Representative answers your questions Icon_minitimeThu Oct 23, 2008 7:05 pm

Val,

I think my original question that started this thread got lost in the shuffle.

So I'll rephrase the question to you Val, "What would you like to accomplish in the upcoming legislative session?"
Back to top Go down
Rep Rausch
Rep Rausch

PostSubject: Re: Val Rausch candidate for SD State Representative answers your questions   Val Rausch candidate for SD State Representative answers your questions Icon_minitimeSat Nov 08, 2008 2:34 pm

to Lightnin Boy, it is unfortunate that you think I'm forcing CAFO's down Grant Co. throat. I have stayed out of the counties business, I've tried to stay oout of your affairs, but you somehow you need to blame somebody and i guess i'm it. so be it. It is very unfortunate that as i was asked to help your group I ended up being blamed!! Take care, Rep Rausch
Back to top Go down
lightninboy
Super Poster
Super Poster

PostSubject: Re: Val Rausch candidate for SD State Representative answers your questions   Val Rausch candidate for SD State Representative answers your questions Icon_minitimeSat Nov 08, 2008 7:50 pm

Rep Rausch wrote:
to Lightnin Boy, it is unfortunate that you think I'm forcing CAFO's down Grant Co. throat. I have stayed out of the counties business, I've tried to stay oout of your affairs, but you somehow you need to blame somebody and i guess i'm it. so be it. It is very unfortunate that as i was asked to help your group I ended up being blamed!! Take care, Rep Rausch
Well, what are you willing to do to help us?
Get SB173 repealed?
Be our gopher in Pierre?
Join our efforts at the Grant County level?
Back to top Go down
mouthpiece
Power Poster
Power Poster
mouthpiece

PostSubject: Does the passage of this bill solve this issue?   Val Rausch candidate for SD State Representative answers your questions Icon_minitimeSat Nov 08, 2008 8:09 pm

Does the passage of this bill solve this issue?

As I have indicated to you in the past. In Minnesota when we sought a state wide solution to this problem the big campaign contributors bought the governor the election and the Governor appointed a big business Commissioner for the MPCA and it was a disaster.

It is easier to control one large business than 10 small businesses.

Be careful. You may get what you wished for!

I for one oppose SmileyCentral.com government!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Val Rausch candidate for SD State Representative answers your questions   Val Rausch candidate for SD State Representative answers your questions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Val Rausch candidate for SD State Representative answers your questions
Page 1 of 1