Big Stone Lake Area Community Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place where Big Stone Lake (and surrounding) area citizens can discuss area news, events and matters of concern.

PortalHomeGallerynews from a locavore Coolte22Latest imagesSearchnews from a locavore Coolte24Log inRegister

news from a locavore

Go down 
AuthorMessage
joelie hicks
Power Poster
Power Poster
joelie hicks

Number of posts : 262
Registration date : 2008-09-21

news from a locavore Empty
PostSubject: news from a locavore   news from a locavore Icon_minitimeSat Jul 03, 2010 12:38 pm

By this time of summer the farmer's Markets are really starting to get into gear.
This week I found carrots, potatoes, blueberries, some brassicas and tomatoes.
So for our noon meal today it was a mostly local food fest.
I bought 2 dozen hamburger buns (1 white, one wheat), 1 loaf of sour dough french bread, a loaf of white bread and a loaf of sour dough, all made by Patrick Wenner, a teenager with a heart for baking.
At home I sliced off a generous chunk of sour dough bread and sliced that in half, spread a little olive oil on each slice and put it in the oven while it pre heated. Then I cut up some left over roast and made gravy from yesterday's pan drippings this went on top of the bread for the man of the house. For myself I added tomatoes, mozz. cheese (home made can't be beat!), some basil from the garden, a thin slice of organic pepperoni, a little onion and returned it to the oven to bake for about 10 minutes while I made a salad w/homegrown carrots, tomatoes and cukes. Everything except the pepperoni came from the garden or the farmer's market. Adding up the cost of the items used, i think it was about a dollar for each meal, and we were FULL.
Buy fresh, buy local. Eat in good health.
Back to top Go down

news from a locavore
Page 1 of 1