Big Stone Lake Area Community Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place where Big Stone Lake (and surrounding) area citizens can discuss area news, events and matters of concern.

PortalHomeGalleryConcerned Citizens of Grant County Coolte22Latest imagesSearchConcerned Citizens of Grant County Coolte24Log inRegister

Concerned Citizens of Grant County

Go down 
+3
mythoughts
mouthpiece
lightninboy
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
lightninboy
Super Poster
Super Poster

Number of posts : 198
Registration date : 2008-10-04

Concerned Citizens of Grant County Empty
PostSubject: Concerned Citizens of Grant County   Concerned Citizens of Grant County Icon_minitimeSat Oct 04, 2008 9:45 am

This thread is designated for interaction between the Concerned Citizens of Grant County amongst themselves and with the public.

The non-profit group Concerned Citizens of Grant County was formed this summer in opposition to a 5,700-cow dairy proposed to be located in Kilborn Township about five miles north of Twin Brooks, South Dakota. The application for the dairy permit was withdrawn, but Concerned Citizens of Grant County continues with an interest in the safety and economic sense of having Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations in Grant County.

Last edited by lightninboy on Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
lightninboy
Super Poster
Super Poster

PostSubject: Re: Concerned Citizens of Grant County   Concerned Citizens of Grant County Icon_minitimeSat Oct 04, 2008 9:51 am

The Mill Valley Dairy was found by a surveyor to be less than one-half mile from somebody else's well.

Grant County Director of Equilization Darwin Conrad said that the Grant County Planning and Zoning Commission followed the letter of the law and that the well owner would have to take Mill Valley Dairy to court to get anything done about it.

Either the letter of the law or the Grant County Planning and Zoning Commission is wrong.

Which one is it?
Back to top Go down
mouthpiece
Power Poster
Power Poster
mouthpiece

Number of posts : 721
Registration date : 2008-05-15

PostSubject: Large Feedlots are anti-green and defeat policies that favor family farms.   Concerned Citizens of Grant County Icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2008 8:55 pm

I am so glad we can discuss this issue. Large feedlots are in large part corporate farms. Although large feedlots give the false pretense they are family farmers they generally are not.

Corporate farms are designed to create profits normally at the costs of others. Is the Grant County Equalization Board risking the removal of an existing well to another family so that one corporate farm can get rich at the costs of another family farmer.

Perhaps this taking of ones water could be considered an inverse condemnation proceeding and perhaps the county of Grant will end up paying thousands of dollars for the taking of this land.

Do the taxpayers really want this additional expense in Grant County? Not I!
Back to top Go down
lightninboy
Super Poster
Super Poster

PostSubject: Re: Concerned Citizens of Grant County   Concerned Citizens of Grant County Icon_minitimeFri Oct 10, 2008 4:46 pm

If you are a Grant County resident, do you know how to contact the county commission and planning and zoning commission?

Grant County Commissioners

Gene Mann, 515 S. 4th St., Milbank, SD 57252, 605-432-5862

Doug Stengel, 47802 147th St., Milbank, SD 57252, 605-432-5022

David Forrette, 206 Lakeview Drive, Milbank, SD 57252, 605-432-1615

Paul Dummann, 45745 149th St., Summit, SD 57266, 605-398-6476

Clayton Tucholke, 16221 477th Ave., Labolt, SD 57246, 605-623-4347

Grant County Planning and Zoning Commissioners

Gene Mann, 515 S. 4th St., Milbank, SD 57252, 605-432-5862

Nancy Johnson, 14962 483rd Ave., Milbank, SD 57252, 605-432-5600

Gary Lindeman, 14654 480th Ave., Milbank, SD 57252, 605-432-6406

Tom Adler, 15096 Adler Drive, Milbank, SD 57252, 605-432-5113

Geoff Street, 16134 484th Ave., Revillo, SD 57259, 605-623-4459

Richard Hansen, 46746 152nd St., Twin Brooks, SD 57269, 605-432-4175

Lori Brandt, 15222 485th Ave., Milbank, SD 57252, 605-432-5715

Grant County Court House, 210 East 5th Ave., Milbank, SD 57252

Grant County Auditor Karen Layher, 605-432-6711, fax line 605-432-9004

Grant County Director of Equalization Darwin Conrad, 605-432-6532

Grant County Planning and Zoning Commission, 605-432-6532

Last edited by lightninboy on Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
lightninboy
Super Poster
Super Poster

PostSubject: Re: Concerned Citizens of Grant County   Concerned Citizens of Grant County Icon_minitimeFri Oct 10, 2008 4:52 pm

Here is what the newspaper said about the commissioners meeting that mentioned that dairy allegedly being too close to that well:

Grant County Commissioners Proceedings

September 30, 2008

The Grant County Commission met at 8 AM with Commissioners Dummann,
Mann, Stengel and Tucholke present. Chairman Mann presided.
Commissioner Forrette was absent.

Grant Center Twp: Supervisor Keith Christians stated the township
board is concerned about the road by Mill Valley Dairy. The township
has spent dollars for graveling the road twice in addition to regular
maintenance. The supervisors met with the owners of the dairy and
discussed re-grading the half mile north of the dairy, but have
determined the whole mile should be re-graded as a lot of traffic
enters the dairy from the south bringing in feed and supplies. He
asked if the commissioners would be willing to take over the one mile
of road and add the one mile of road to the county road system or if
the county would upgrade the road and then the township would
maintain the road. With over 40 miles to maintain in the township and
yearly revenues of $36,000, the township does not believe it has
sufficient resources to maintain this one mile stretch of road. The
approximate cost to re-grade a mile of road is $50,000. The
commission stated the board would be willing to consider taking over
the road and asked the Hwy. Supt. and the Auditor to research the
process for transferring the one mile of road to the county road
system and to let Keith know the process to follow.

Zoning: Twp. Supervisor Keith Christians asked if there is a time
frame for a conditional use permit to be used or are they always
active once the permit is approved. DOE Conrad explained a
conditional use permit is good for 2 years. If the project has not
been started within a 2 year period, the conditional use permit does
expire. A discussion was held on the enforcement of conditions placed
on the conditional use permit. Chairman Mann explained if a complaint
is brought to the P & Z Board, the complaint will be investigated.
Also discussed was the one-half mile set backs for a CAFO to a well
location. The engineer preparing the site drawing for a dairy does
the measurements to determine the one-half mile setback line. The
question arose if all wells are being located and what recourse a
landowner has. The landowner can appeal to the circuit court.

Last edited by lightninboy on Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
lightninboy
Super Poster
Super Poster

PostSubject: Re: Concerned Citizens of Grant County   Concerned Citizens of Grant County Icon_minitimeFri Oct 10, 2008 5:45 pm

Here’s a place to look to find the letter of the law for the CAFO permitting process.

http://www.state.sd.us/DENR/DES/Surfacewater/feedlot.htm

http://www.state.sd.us/DENR/ENVIRO/feedlot.htm

Darwin Conrad said that if Mill Valley Dairy is proven to be less than one-half mile from the well, the engineer Don Larson of Larson Engineering of Milbank stands to lose his engineering license.
Back to top Go down
lightninboy
Super Poster
Super Poster

PostSubject: Re: Concerned Citizens of Grant County   Concerned Citizens of Grant County Icon_minitimeFri Oct 10, 2008 6:19 pm

Mill Valley Dairy was a project of Hammink Dairy Consulting & Development.

http://www.hamminkdairy.com/?p=projects

An open house was held at Mill Valley Dairy on July 19, 2008 by Ag United for South Dakota.

http://madvilletimes.blogspot.com/2008/08/higher-feed-costs-send-cattle-to.html

Although milking 600 cows this summer, Mill Valley Dairy is permitted for 2,000 cows.

http://www.state.sd.us/doa/ag%20policy/zoningco_list/GrantCountyz1.pdf

How about enforcing that Mill Valley Dairy can't use the barns which are too close to the well?
Back to top Go down
mythoughts
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
mythoughts

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2008-10-17

PostSubject: Re: Concerned Citizens of Grant County   Concerned Citizens of Grant County Icon_minitimeFri Oct 17, 2008 3:10 pm

Wondering if mouthpiece and lightingboy and maybe some others could define "factory farm" and "large feedlot". If an operation is milking 500 cows now but is permitted for 1500 is it not a factory farm now but will be later? It would help me understand your viewpoint if I new what kind of livestock operations, what size, what ownership, what kind of employees and number of each is OK by your standards. And what do you think of a setback from surface waters such as creeks and lakes; for all new concentrated animal feeding operations of 100 animal units and up with a sliding scale making the setback for the 5,000 unit operations over 500 feet? Is there already a setback from surface water in Minnesota? That's a particular thing that all conservation people I have spoken with favor. So two questions: what parameters are there for the OK livestock operations and what do you think of setbacks from surface waters?
Back to top Go down
lightninboy
Super Poster
Super Poster

PostSubject: Re: Concerned Citizens of Grant County   Concerned Citizens of Grant County Icon_minitimeFri Oct 17, 2008 11:04 pm

LindaS wrote:

Wondering if mouthpiece and lightingboy and maybe some others could define "factory farm" and "large feedlot". If an operation is milking 500 cows now but is permitted for 1500 is it not a factory farm now but will be later? It would help me understand your viewpoint if I knew what kind of livestock operations, what size, what ownership, what kind of employees and number of each is OK by your standards.

Thank you for your reply.

Each Concerned Citizen of Grant County is entitled to his or her own opinion. Some of them may want minor changes to the way things are, and some of them may want radical changes to the way things are.

Speaking for myself, I have had no problem with traditional beef feedlots. I do have a problem with swine CAFOs of 2,500 hogs or more. As for dairy CAFOs, I figure what is the maximum milking herd of a traditional family dairy farm in the 1970s through 1980s. I figure basically no more than 200 milk cows can be handled by a family farm without hiring a fair amount of labor, and if the family farm does hire a fair amount of labor 400 cows is a reasonable maximum for a dairy to be considered the size of a family dairy farm. I would like for there to be no dairy CAFOs of more than 400 cows, but if I had to draw the cutoff line somewhere today, I would draw it at the EPA CAFO NPDES permit amount of 700 mature dairy cows. I am also negative about manure lagoons and LLC/LLP ownership and immigrant labor, especially illegal immigrant labor.

LindaS wrote:

And what do you think of a setback from surface waters such as creeks and lakes; for all new concentrated animal feeding operations of 100 animal units and up with a sliding scale making the setback for the 5,000 unit operations over 500 feet? Is there already a setback from surface water in Minnesota? That's a particular thing that all conservation people I have spoken with favor.

Grant County regulations say A and B 500 feet from Lakes & Streams Classified as Fisheries as Identified by the State and C, D and E 200 feet from Lakes & Streams Classified as Fisheries as Identified by the State. I don’t know about Minnesota.

You are saying you want it stricter for CAFOs to be located near surface water whether it is a fishery or not? It might be a good idea, but I doubt that pro-CAFO people would want stricter laws.

Last edited by lightninboy on Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:34 pm; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
mouthpiece
Power Poster
Power Poster
mouthpiece

PostSubject: Corporate farms create economic problems for rural communities.   Concerned Citizens of Grant County Icon_minitimeSat Oct 18, 2008 6:30 pm

Corporate farms create economic problems for rural communities.

LindaS attempted to label others as environmentalists! This is as if they is a kind of cuss word.

Here are the answers to your questions:

Animal Waste Utilization and Application Setbacks:
The following manure spreading setbacks shall be adhered to:
Surface Incorporated or Injected
1. Watercourse, streams, rivers, lakes 300' 10'
wetlands, drainage ditches
2. Municipal well 1,000' 1,000'
3. Private wells 200' 200'
4. Residential area (10 or more homes) 500' 100'
5. Neighboring dwelling 500' 100'
6. Urban Expansion Management District 500' 100'
7. 10-year Flood Plain Prohibited Permitted
8. Filed tile intakes 100' 10'
9. Road right-of-way spreading Prohibited Prohibited

Congressional testimony for years has indicated that corporate farming created negative population growth. Grant County is a perfect example! As we promote corporate farming our population decrease.

Congressional testimony indicates corporate farming eliminates steady income that supports families and instead replaces these jobs with minimum wage jobs and illegal immigrants.

Corporate farming failed in Russia but yet we now must give it try. Why?

I am sure that the greed in this country support corporate farms but we must rise above this and look to the future of our rural communities.
Back to top Go down
mythoughts
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
mythoughts

PostSubject: Re: Concerned Citizens of Grant County   Concerned Citizens of Grant County Icon_minitimeMon Oct 20, 2008 2:34 pm

Thank you lightingboy for trying to answer my question. I appreciate your integrity identifying yourself and being honest.

It was really good of you to contact me after my letter to the editor.

No one else from GCCC bothered.

GCCC printed a lot of false statements in the paper, totally twisted and unsubstantiated things. No one signed as author of the ads. No one stood behind the statements.

I wrote to the paper, addressing a public situation publicly and also to give the people hurt by the GCCC statements notice that I for one did not want to divide the community into for and against camps. The rest of the community knows that we have a lot of issues to work on together.

As time goes by I am sure we will. Again thanks for trying to answer my question. I am going to leave this forum since you and I are the only ones with real identities and we already communicate.

Au Revoir

Mouthpiece didn't read my post before replying.

I didn't label anyone environmentalist. Envirommentalist as a general definition ascribe to modern environmental science and want to clean up existing pollution problems and to avoid new ones. I am all for that. The GCCC in public is about stopping new livestock operations of a certain unspecified size(large) and ownership type and number of employees, but that is not all. Preserving a rural way of life or returning to a County with many small farms is also one of their issues and from the newspaper ads from conversations with members that is what the GCCC is trying to promote by stopping new large livestock operations.
Back to top Go down
mouthpiece
Power Poster
Power Poster
mouthpiece

PostSubject: Thank you for your response but did you address my economic issues?   Concerned Citizens of Grant County Icon_minitimeMon Oct 20, 2008 4:06 pm

Thank you for your response but did you address my economic issues?

I did address your questions as to Minnesota setback requirements.

I do apologize. You did not call me an environmentalists. You said I belonged to conservation groups.

For your information the Hammink Dairy is involved as a non-sued out party in a feedlot case in Canby, Minnesota. It is alleged that the manure, dust, flies and noise issues have been shipped away from their plant (corporate farm) in South Dakota and residents in Minnesota are now complaining about the issue. At least the foreign corporation is making a profit.

That was my point in the beginning. The corporation makes money but has economic and environmental issues tranferred to the taxpayers.
Back to top Go down
lightninboy
Super Poster
Super Poster

PostSubject: Re: Concerned Citizens of Grant County   Concerned Citizens of Grant County Icon_minitimeMon Oct 20, 2008 8:02 pm

LindaS wrote:

GCCC printed a lot of false statements in the paper, totally twisted and unsubstantiated things.

Which statement would you like us to examine and discuss?
I have collected media items from both sides of the CAFO debate.

LindaS wrote:

No one signed as author of the ads. No one stood behind the statements.

Concerned Citizens of Grant County, PO Box 537, Milbank; SD 57252
Concerned Citizens of Grant County is a nonprofit group and donations to the group are tax deductible.

President: Ken Wiese
Secretary: Joelie Hicks
Treasurer: Gail Strobl
Board of directors: Earl Hanson, Wynn Boerger, Greg Grabow, Jeff Schmidt, Jason Grabow

If Concerned Citizens of Grant County is guilty of having no one signing as author of the ads and having no one stand behind the statements, Citizens for a Growing Grant County Economy, LLC, appeared to be doing the same thing.

Citizens for a Growing Grant County Economy, LLC
Howard Manlove, Treasurer, 14405 479th Ave., Milbank, SD 57252

Who are the president, secretary and board of directors of Citizens for a Growing Grant County Economy, LLC?
Is Citizens for a Growing Grant County Economy, LLC, even a real organization?

LindaS wrote:

I wrote to the paper, addressing a public situation publicly and also to give the people hurt by the GCCC statements notice that I for one did not want to divide the community into for and against camps.

And people who have fought CAFOs in one community willingly share their experiences and strategies with those currently fighting the battle in other communities. Rural people increasingly are demanding their basic rights to protect their health and environmental well-being.
If any good is to come out of the current CAFO controversies, it may well be that the future leadership of rural America is being developed among those who have become politically empowered through their experiences in opposing CAFOs. Once people proclaim their basic democratic rights of self-defense and self-determination, which is what local control is all about, they become less intimidated by those with economic and political power. Local control is a cornerstone of democracy.
One thing on which proponents and opponents agree is that CAFOs completely disrupt the community life of rural people. Some have labeled this the most divisive rural issue since the Civil War. In many communities, multigenerational family farmers are leading the opposition, often pitting neighbor against neighbors who have been their friends for years. In one community, I was once told that everyone in a specific county had been identified as being either for or against CAFOs. No conversation was said to take place on the county courthouse square that did not include a discussion of CAFOs. Communities that were once effective in working together on community and economic development efforts have been paralyzed by internal dissention. It becomes difficult, if not impossible, to gain public support for schools, health care, roads, and other public services because anything proposed by those on one side of the CAFO issue is opposed by those on the other. The people of every "CAFO community" I have visited have validated this fact: CAFOs destroy the social fabric of rural communities.
I have never experienced any other issue that is so divisive in more than 35 years of working with farmers and others in rural communities. I eventually concluded, my truth, the CAFO controversy violates an important rural ethic. Rural people accept the fact that some members of their communities succeed, while others do not. So the resentment is not of some people making money while others don't. People may be a bit jealous, but if their lives are not made worse by someone else's success, they accept it. However, the CAFO issue is different. The people who live downwind or downstream from a CAFO know first-hand that their health and overall quality of life is being threatened by their neighbor's desire to make money. People also know that property located near CAFOs will be devalued, even if no one lives there. They understand that economic opportunities for their community are limited because they live in a "CAFO friendly" community. Apparently, it is a violation of an important rural ethic for one person to benefit at the expense of his or her neighbors' well-being. Rural people take such violations very seriously.
http://web.missouri.edu/~ikerdj/papers/Idaho%20CAFOs%20--%20Local%20Control.htm

Studies evaluating the impacts of CAFOs on communities suggest that CAFOs generally attract controversy and often threaten community social capital (Kleiner AM, Rikoon JS, Seipel M, unpublished data; 2000; Ryan VD, Terry Al, Besser TL, unpublished data; Thu 1996). The rifts that develop among community members can be deep and long-standing (DeLind 1998). Wright et al. (2001), in an in-depth six-county study in southern Minnesota, identified three patterns that reflect the decline of social capital that resulted from the siting of CAFOs in all six rural communities they studied: a) widening gaps between CAFO and non-CAFO producers; b) harassment of vocal opponents of CAFOs; and c) perceptions by both CAFO supporters and CAFO opponents of hostility, neglect, or inattention by public institutions that resulted in perpetuation of an adversarial and inequitable community climate.
http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1817697

Recent research indicates the public's welfare is at risk in at least four major areas. Industrialized farming: (1) has a detrimental impact on certain aspects of socioeconomic well-being; (2) disrupts the social fabric of communities; (3) poses environmental threats where livestock production is concentrated; and (4) is likely to create a new pattern of "haves and have nots" in terms of agricultural production, whereby some communities gain large, industrialized farms (and attendant social problems) and others lose their farming base as production becomes concentrated elsewhere in the state and regional economy.
http://www.agribusinessaccountability.org/pdfs/270_Industrialized%20Farming.pdf

The social fabric of rural communities has been ripped apart by controversy surrounding the introduction of large-scale, corporate hog operations. There seems to be no middle ground. Some people seem determined to bring in the big hog operations, by almost any means, and others seem just as committed to keep them out, by almost any means. Almost everyone eventually seems to feel obligated to take sides. The larger question in such communities is not whether the hog factories come in or stay out, but can the community ever heal the wound left by the fight?
http://web.missouri.edu/~ikerdj//papers/top-10h.htm

LindaS wrote:

The rest of the community knows that we have a lot of issues to work on together.

The GCCC in public is about stopping new livestock operations of a certain unspecified size(large) and ownership type and number of employees, but that is not all. Preserving a rural way of life or returning to a County with many small farms is also one of their issues and from the newspaper ads from conversations with members that is what the GCCC is trying to promote by stopping new large livestock operations.

What’s wrong with that?
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Back to top Go down
mythoughts
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
mythoughts

PostSubject: Re: Concerned Citizens of Grant County   Concerned Citizens of Grant County Icon_minitimeTue Oct 21, 2008 5:44 pm

I didn't call mouthpiece a conservationist, I ddn't call him/her anything. I am proposing expanding the setback from fisheries to include intermittent streams in Grant County, the County ordinances in Grant are fairly detailed and thoughtful but there are a few things I would ad. I am a conservationist, and that was my official title when I worked for the good ole US Gov. I am proud of it. Conservationist is a term used for a long time, late 1930's. Generally a conservationist believes that our natural resources should be used but not used up. Generally they believe in best managment practices that are proven to work. Natural Resources Conservation Districts, for instance hire Conservationists. To be a conservationist you have to believe in some kind of manure management for livestock farming, something that has been proven to keep the manure out of the streams and rivers. Conservation in States that spend more on the environment than South Dakota have developed manure management systems for livestock operations down to 20 milk cows. There's different ways to do it. Conservationists also believe in nutrient managment of crop fertilizer according to proven practices. I spoke with people who either make their living taking care of watersheds or practice manure management or help people use best management practices (google that it is a term coined by the US government). They thought having setbacks from intermittent streams would be fine. GCCC has no public comment on the subject.

False statements in the paper: "most of the workers at local dairies are illegal" that's a strong charge and if true the originator of the statement should be on the phone with INS. There was also a statement in the paper that nitrogen subserface flow can occur at recommended rates, refering to the Riverview Kilborn project. There was a research paper from the mid 90's that irrigated bermuda grass with swine manure concentrations to equal the recommended rates for growing bermuda grass (Riverview would not be using irrigation) ; that's rates recommended for maximum bermuda grass yield not the recommended rates in SD modern manure management plans. The subsurface flow, which is not the same as leaching at all and not the same as runofff that reaches a stream either, at the recommended rate met drinking water standards for nitrates. The possiblility of nitrogen leaching into the ground water or running off into the watershed from a modern South Dakota manure managment plan of a CAFO is a lot less of a chance than leaching or runoff from regular farms. Ordinary grain farmers don't use setbacks from wetlands or wells and are free to apply whatever amount of nutrients the want.

So go ahead and find the proof that nitrogen subsurface flow occurs even at recommened rates for CAFOs these days in South Dakota. And also explain how nitrogen moving in cropland soil at the concentrations expected would have a worse effect on our environment than the application of chemical fertilizer at the rates co ops recommend. Every acre of cropland regulated in a CAFO manure management plan recieves an amount of manure calculated not to runoff or leach. Compare that to unregulated fertilizer application with no setbacks from wetlands or wells under regular farming. Applying manure on the same section of land for 50 years without soil testing would build up the phosphorous test and phosphorous might leach and any soil eroding from that field would be high phosphorous and contribute to algae blooms in the watershed. CAFOs are not allowed to do that. Large regulated operators and large unregulated operators and small unregulated operators can all benefit from knowledge about the soil. We are all in this together and it's not a civil war at all.

So prove that most of the workers at the local dairies are illegal. And as soon as you do then call the authorities and stop it. If you were a legal immigrant trying to better the life of your family it would hurt to be called illegal.

Also prove that the Riveriview workers would not contribute to the local economy. Did you know what the average wage was going to be? How could they possibly live here without buying groceries?

I think these three statements are enough for now. If you are busy and it takes time to track down the proof, don't worry I won't be back to read the forum for a while anyway.

Thanks for asking, we don't agree that it's a civil war like situation but that's ok.
Back to top Go down
mouthpiece
Power Poster
Power Poster
mouthpiece

PostSubject: Answer the question!   Concerned Citizens of Grant County Icon_minitimeTue Oct 21, 2008 6:25 pm

Large corporate farms cause a decrease in population in rural communities and negatively effect the infrastructure.

Answer the question: Corporate farms failed from both an economic and environmental standpoint in Russia. What evidence do you have they will work here.

The litigation with the farm in Minnesota is an inverse condemnation proceeding in which the county may be required to pay neighbors for the taking of the property rights of the corporate farm neighbors. Seventeen acres may cost the county around 1/2 of a million dollars. This is a right under the United States Constitution and the South Dakota Constitution. Can Grant county afford to buy out the neighbors of large corporate farms?

What happens when a lagoon leaks into water supplies. This remains a potential problem with VALEDCO in Minnesota.

I am hoping that Minnesota will not let the manure, dust, smell and the problems created by South Dakota CAFO's into the state but the judicial system will make that decision.
Back to top Go down
lightninboy
Super Poster
Super Poster

PostSubject: Re: Concerned Citizens of Grant County   Concerned Citizens of Grant County Icon_minitimeTue Oct 21, 2008 8:16 pm

LindaS wrote:

There was also a statement in the paper that nitrogen subsurface flow can occur at recommended rates, referring to the Riverview Kilborn project. There was a research paper from the mid 90's that irrigated bermuda grass with swine manure concentrations to equal the recommended rates for growing bermuda grass (Riverview would not be using irrigation); that's rates recommended for maximum bermuda grass yield not the recommended rates in SD modern manure management plans. The subsurface flow, which is not the same as leaching at all and not the same as runofff that reaches a stream either, at the recommended rate met drinking water standards for nitrates. The possibility of nitrogen leaching into the ground water or running off into the watershed from a modern South Dakota manure management plan of a CAFO is a lot less of a chance than leaching or runoff from regular farms. Ordinary grain farmers don't use setbacks from wetlands or wells and are free to apply whatever amount of nutrients the want.

So go ahead and find the proof that nitrogen subsurface flow occurs even at recommended rates for CAFOs these days in South Dakota. And also explain how nitrogen moving in cropland soil at the concentrations expected would have a worse effect on our environment than the application of chemical fertilizer at the rates co ops recommend. Every acre of cropland regulated in a CAFO manure management plan receives an amount of manure calculated not to runoff or leach. Compare that to unregulated fertilizer application with no setbacks from wetlands or wells under regular farming. Applying manure on the same section of land for 50 years without soil testing would build up the phosphorous test and phosphorous might leach and any soil eroding from that field would be high phosphorous and contribute to algae blooms in the watershed. CAFOs are not allowed to do that.

To my knowledge, Concerned Citizens of Grant County did not publish any ad with the word “subsurface,” “nitrogen” or “leach” in it. Can you be more specific about which statement it is you want us to examine and discuss? Also, just because a CAFO is supposed to do something doesn’t mean it always does it.

LindaS wrote:

Also prove that the Riverview workers would not contribute to the local economy.

Do you think that a 5,700-cow dairy would contribute more to the local economy than, say, 57 100-cow family dairy farms?

LindaS wrote:

Did you know what the average wage was going to be?

No. Do you?

Do you know if the Riverview workers were going to be all single men or if there would be immigrant families living at the dairy?

LindaS wrote:

How could they possibly live here without buying groceries?

Riverview Farms could furnish food purchased in Morris, for example.

LindaS wrote:

"most of the workers at local dairies are illegal" that's a strong charge and if true the originator of the statement should be on the phone with INS.

So prove that most of the workers at the local dairies are illegal. And as soon as you do then call the authorities and stop it. If you were a legal immigrant trying to better the life of your family it would hurt to be called illegal.

The ad said that many employees of local dairies are illegal immigrants, not most employees of local dairies are illegal immigrants.

If you asked people in the local cafes and bars if many employees of local dairies are illegal immigrants, what do you think the concensus would be?

So you think it is a good idea for the Concerned Citizens of Grant County to do some busting and they can tell anyone who won’t cooperate that LindaS told them to do it! Would you join our efforts if we found that illegal immigration laws are not being enforced?
Back to top Go down
lightninboy
Super Poster
Super Poster

PostSubject: Re: Concerned Citizens of Grant County   Concerned Citizens of Grant County Icon_minitimeFri Oct 24, 2008 9:34 pm

I have sort of summarized the current Grant County CAFO regulations:

GRANT COUNTY COMPREHENSIVE ZONING REGULATIONS
EFFECTIVE NOVEMBER 1, 1997
AMENDMENTS TO October 6, 1999
AMENDMENTS TO APRIL 15, 2002
ARTICLE XIII CONCENTRATED ANIMAL FEEDING OPERATION REGULATIONS
Animal Units
Note that these figures relate to inventory rather than annual production. Other animal species equivalents which are not listed will be based on species’ waste production.
EQUIVALENT NUMBER OF A SPECIES TO EQUAL 1,000 AU and ANIMAL UNIT EQUIVALENT SPECIES / AU
Feeder or Slaughter Cattle 1,000 hd 1.0
Mature Dairy Cattle 700 hd 1.4
Finisher Swine (over 55 lbs) 2,500 hd 0.4
Nursery Swine (less than 55 lbs) 10,000 hd 0.1
Farrow-to-Finish (sows) 270 hd 3.7
Swine Production Unit (Sows
Breeding, Gestating & Farrowing) 2,130 hd 0.47
Horses 500 hd 2.0
Sheep 10,000 hd 0.1
Turkeys 55,000 hd 0.018
Laying Hens & Broilers
(continuous overflow watering in facility) 100,000 hd 0.01
Laying Hens & Broilers (liquid
handling system in confinement facility) 30,000 hd 0.033
Ducks 5,000 hd 0.2
Classes of Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations
A Concentrated Animal Feeding Operation is defined as a lot, yard, corral, building or other area where animals have been, are, or will be stabled or confined for a total of 45 days or more during any 12-month period, and where crops, vegetation, forage growth, or post harvest residues are not sustained over any portion of the lot or facility. Two or more animal feeding operations under common ownership are single animal operation if they adjoin each other, or if they use a common area, or if they use a common area or system for disposal of manure.
For the purpose of these regulations, Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations are divided into the following classes:
ANIMAL UNITS
Class A 2,000 or more
Class B 1,000 to 1,999
Class C 500 to 999
Class D 50 to 499 (Potential Water Pollution Hazard)
Class E 99 to 499 (No Pollution Hazard)
Concentrated Animal Feeding Operation Permit Requirements
Owners of Class A, Class B, Class C, Class D, and Class E with animal units of 99 and above Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations are required to complete a permit application as follows:
1. A new concentrated animal feeding operation is proposed where one does not exist.
2. An expansion is proposed beyond what a current permit allows.
3. A cumulative expansion by 99 animal units, after November 1, 1997, of existing concentrated animal feeding operation that does not have a permit.
4. A change in ownership of a Class A or Class B concentrated animal feeding operation.
5. A change in ownership of a Class C, Class D, or Class E if documented pollution problem exists.
6. An existing concentrated animal feeding operation is to be restocked after being idle for five (5) years.
7. A signed complaint has been received by the County Zoning Office or South Dakota Department of Environment and Natural Resources and after inspection reveals that the Concentrated Animal Feeding Operation is in violation of County or State regulations.
Concentrated Animal Feeding Operation Control Requirements
1. No Significant Contribution of Pollution
In general, no Concentrated Animal Feeding Operation shall be constructed, located, or operated so as to create a significant contribution of pollution.
2. State General Permit
It shall be at the discretion of the Planning Commission to require a State General Permit for Class C and Class D Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations.
3. Nutrient Management Plan
Classes A, B, C and D Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations are required to have a nutrient management plan. The applicant shall develop, maintain, and follow a nutrient management plan to ensure safe disposal of manure and protection of surface and ground water. The South Dakota Department of Environment and Natural Resources must approve the plan prior to land application of any wastes. Due to crop rotation, site changes, and other operational changes, the producer should update the plan annually to reflect the current operation and crops grown on the application sites. The applicant shall collect, store, and dispose of liquid and solid manure according to recognized practices of good agricultural management. The economic benefits derived from agricultural operations carried out at the land disposal site are secondary to the proper and safe disposal of the manure.
A generic nutrient management plan that the applicant may use in developing a nutrient management plan is available from the South Dakota Department of Environment and Natural Resources. The generic nutrient management plan is based on application of nitrogen. The applicant may use other plans, provided the alternate plan contains all the information necessary to determine compliance with conditions of this general permit.
Nitrogen, in addition to that allowed in the nutrient management plan, may be applied up to the amounts as indicated by soil or crop nitrogen test results that are necessary to obtain the realistic crop yield.
The South Dakota Department of Environment and Natural Resources recommends and encourages producers to develop nutrient management plans for other nutrients such as phosphorous and potassium. Over application of these nutrients may lead to water quality problems in area lakes and streams and result in potential damage to the producer’s land and crop.
The applicant must maintain records to show compliance with the plan.
The plan must comply with County Manure Application Setbacks.
Land spreading agreements (for 5-year plan) shall be provided if applicant does not have minimum acreage to apply animal manure.
4. Manure Management and Operation Plan
Classes A, B, C, and D Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations must submit a Manure Management and Operation Plan.
A. Plan must include:
1. The location and specifics of proposed animal manure facilities.
2. The operation procedures and maintenance of manure facilities.
3. Plans and specifications must be prepared or approved by a registered professional engineer, or a Natural Resource Conservation Service (NRCS) engineer. Waste treatment facilities will require inspection by an engineer and as-built plans to be submitted to the County Zoning Officer.
4. Animal manure shall not be stored longer than two years.
5. Manure containment structures shall provide for a minimum design volume of 270 days of storage.
6. Producers shall keep records on manure applications on individual fields which document acceptable manure and nutrient management practices have been followed. These records shall include soils test results for surface two feet of soil, actual and projected crop yields, nutrient analysis of manure, and information about date, rate and method of manure applications for individual fields.
B. As a condition of the permit, the County Board of Adjustment may require the producer to participate in environmental training programs and become a certified livestock manager.
5. Management Plan for Fly and Odor Control
Classes A, B, C, and D Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations shall dispose of dead animals, manure and wastewater in such a manner as to control odors and flies. A management plan is Grant County required for submission of a permit. The County Board of Adjustment will review the need for control measures on a site specific basis, taking into consideration prevailing wind direction and topography. The following procedures to control flies and odors should be considered in a management control plan.
A. Operational plans for manure collection, storage treatment and use must be kept updated and implemented.
B. Methods to be utilized to dispose of dead animals should be included in the management plan.
C. Plant trees and shrubs to reduce wind movement of odors away from buildings, manure storage ponds and/or lagoons.
D. Provide adequate slope and drainage to remove surface water from pens and keep pen area dry so odor production is minimized.
E. Store solid manure in containment areas having good drainage to minimize odor production.
F. Remove manure from open pens as frequently as possible to minimize odor production.
G. Consider use of covers on open storage systems for liquid manure systems to reduce odor production.
H. Avoid spreading manure on weekends, holidays and evenings during warm season when neighbors may be involved in outdoor recreation activities.
I. Avoid spreading during calm and humid days, since these conditions restrict the dispersion and dilution of odors.

Last edited by lightninboy on Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
lightninboy
Super Poster
Super Poster

PostSubject: Re: Concerned Citizens of Grant County   Concerned Citizens of Grant County Icon_minitimeFri Oct 24, 2008 9:37 pm

My summary continues into this post:

6. Required Setbacks and Separation Distance (from animal confinement areas and not from manure lagoons) for New Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations and Those Expanding by 99 or More Animal Units after November 1, 1997.
MINIMUMS for CLASS A, B, C, D & E
Established Residences 2,640 feet
Churches, Businesses & Commercially Zoned Areas 2,640 feet
Incorporated Municipality Limits 2,640 feet
Private Wells (other than the operator) 2,640 feet
Lakes & Streams Classified as
Fisheries as Identified by the State 500 feet A & B 200 feet C, D & E
Federal, State & County Road
ROW (Right Of Way) - Confinement 300 feet A & B 200 feet C, D & E
Federal, State & County Road
ROW (Right Of Way) - Open Lot 50 feet
Township Road
ROW (Right Of Way) – Confinement 150 feet
Township Road
ROW (Right Of Way) - Open Lot 50 feet
Proposals for new Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations, on a site-by-site basis, shall be set back from adjoining property lines as determined by the County Board of Adjustment.
7. Exemptions to Separation Distance Requirements
B. A Concentrated Animal Feeding Operation constructed prior to November 1, 1997, which does not comply with the distance requirements, which continues to operate, but is not expanded.
C. A Concentrated Animal Feeding Operation structure which is expanded or constructed, if the title holder of the land benefiting from the distance separation requirements executes a written waiver with the title holder of the land where the structure is located, under such terms and conditions which the parties may negotiate. The written waiver becomes effective only upon the recording of the waiver in the Office of the Register of Deeds in the County. The benefited land is the residence, commercial enterprise, bonafide religious institution, education institution from which separation is required.
D. A Concentrated Animal Feeding Operation constructed or expanded closer than the required separation distance within the corporate limits of a city, if the incorporated community approves a waiver which shall be stated in writing. The written waiver becomes effectively only after recording with the Register of Deeds.
E. A Concentrated Animal Feeding Operation structure which is located within any distance from an educational institution, commercial enterprise, bonafide religious institution, incorporated community, if the educational institution, commercial enterprise or bonafide institution was constructed or expanded or the boundaries of the incorporated community were expanded, after the date that the animal feeding operation was established. The date that the Concentrated Animal Feeding Operation was established is the date on which the Concentrated Animal Feeding Operation commenced operating. A change in ownership or expansion shall not change the date of operation.
Each application for a new or expanded Concentrated Animal Feeding Operation (CAFO) will be reviewed by the Board of Adjustment on a site specific basis. The Board of Adjustment reserves the right to increase the minimum required setbacks and separation distance on a site specific review, based on one or more of the following considerations:
A. A concentration of CAFOs in the area exists or would occur which may pose an air or water quality concern.
B. Due to topography and prevailing wind direction, additional setback and separation distance is appropriate to safeguard air or water quality.
C. A Concentrated Animal Feeding Operation is in excess of 5,000 animal units.
8. Manure Application Setbacks
A. The following manure application setbacks apply to all classes of Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations.
COUNTY MANURE APPLICATION SETBACKS
SURFACE OR IRRIGATION APPLIED and INCORPORATED OR INJECTED
Lake, Rivers & Streams
Classified as Fisheries 300 feet 100 feet (lake) 50 feet (river & stream)
Streams & Lakes
Classified as
Drinking Water Supplies 1000 feet 300 feet
Public Roads 25 feet (surface) from right-of-way 300 feet (irrigation) 10 feet (incorporated or injected) from right-of-way
Area of 10 or
More Residences 300 feet (surface) 1000 feet (irrigation) 300 feet (incorporated or injected)
Public Wells 1000 feet
Private Shallow Wells 250 feet
A Residence other than
the Operator 300 feet (surface) 1000 feet (irrigation) 300 feet (incorporated or injected)
Natural or Man-Made Drainage 200 feet 50 feet
B. The County Board of Adjustment may require liquid manure to be incorporated or injected in order to minimize air and water quality impacts.
C. Requests for application of liquid manure by means of irrigation will be reviewed by the Board of Adjustment on a site-specific basis. Impact on air and water quality will be taken into consideration.
9. Standards for Special Exceptions
A. The County Board of Adjustment may impose, in addition to the standards and requirements set forth in these regulations additional conditions which the Board of Adjustment considers necessary to protect the public health, safety and welfare.
B. The County Board of Adjustment may impose, in addition to the standards and requirements set forth in these regulations additional conditions which the Board of Adjustment considers necessary to protect the public health, safety and welfare.
C. Special exceptions shall be in effect only as long as sufficient land specified for spreading purposes is available for such purposes and other provisions of the permit are being adhered to.
D. When considering an application, the County Board of Adjustment will take into consideration current and past violations relating to Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations that the applicant has an interest in.
E. Permit applicants will be required to file a letter of assurances as required by the Board of Adjustment. The letter of assurances will be prepared by the Zoning Officer and signed by both the applicant and the Zoning Officer.
10. Information Required for Class A and B Concentrated Animal Feeding Operation Permit
A. Owner’s name, address and telephone number.
B. Legal descriptions of site and site plan.
C. Number and type of animals.
D. Nutrient management plan.
E. Manure management and operation plan.
F. Management plan for fly and odor control.
G. Information on ability to meet designated setback requirements including site plan to scale.
H. General permit from South Dakota Department of Environment and Natural Resources if available for animals species.
I. Review of plans and specifications and nutrient management plan by the South Dakota Department of Environment and Natural Resources.
J. Information on soils, shallow aquifers, designated wellhead protection areas, and 100-year floodplain designation.
K. Notification of whomever maintains the access road (Township, County and State).
Notification of public water supply officials.
L. Any other information as contained in the application and requested by the County Zoning Officer.
11. Information Required for Class C, Class D, and Class E of 99 Animal Units and Above For Concentrated Animal Feeding Operation Permit.
A. Owner’s name, address and telephone number.
B. Legal descriptions of site and site plan.
C. Number and type of animals.
D. Nutrient management plan.
E. Manure management and operation plan.
F. Management plan for fly and odor control.
G. Information on ability to meet designated setback requirements, including site plan to scale.
H. Review of plans and specifications and nutrient management plan by the South Dakota Department of Environment and Natural Resources if using lagoon or earthen storage basin.
I. Information on soils, shallow aquifers, designated wellhead protection areas, and 100-year floodplain designation.
J. Notification of whomever maintains the access road (Township, County and State).
K. Any other information as contained in the application and requested by the County Zoning Officer.

Last edited by lightninboy on Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
lightninboy
Super Poster
Super Poster

PostSubject: Re: Concerned Citizens of Grant County   Concerned Citizens of Grant County Icon_minitimeFri Oct 24, 2008 10:12 pm

[size=18]The Grant County Towns and Townships Association endorsed a CAFO setback change proposal by a vote of 32-6 on July 29, 2008.

CAFO Setbacks Proposed by Twp Association

Animal Units Setback

50-499 1/2 mile

500-1999 3/4 mile

2000-3999 3/4 mile + 1000 ft.

4000-5999 3/4 mile + 2000 ft.

6000-7999 3/4 mile + 3000 ft.

With each additional 2000 animal units, 1000 feet is added to the setback. A setback is the distance between an established residence, well, business, school, or city limit and the concentrated animal feeding operation (CAFO).

Here is another way of describing it:

Setback Proposal:

200-499 a.u. = ½ mile (143-356 mature milk cows)

500-1999 a.u. = 3/4 mile (357-1,428 mature milk cows)

Over 2,000 a.u. = 3/4 mile + 1,000 feet for each 2,000 units (over 1,428 mature milk cows)

4,000 a.u. = 5,960 ft. or 1.1 mile (2,857 mature milk cows)

6,000 a.u. = 6,960 ft. or 1.3 mile (4,285 mature milk cows)

8,000 a.u. = 7,960 ft. or 1.5 mile (5,714 mature milk cows)

10,000 a.u. = 8,960 ft. or 1.7 mile (7,143 mature milk cows)

12,000 a.u. = 9,960 ft. or 1.9 mile (8,571 mature milk cows)

14,000 a.u. = 10,960 ft. or 2.1 mile (10,000 mature milk cows)

The current Grant County CAFO setback is from animal confinement areas and not from manure lagoons. It should not be hard to make the setback from both animal confinement areas and manure lagoons. It has been written into law in North Carolina.

Swine Farm Zoning Notebook

Last edited by Lady Hawk on Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Cleaned up html on Zoning Notebook link.)
Back to top Go down
lightninboy
Super Poster
Super Poster

PostSubject: Re: Concerned Citizens of Grant County   Concerned Citizens of Grant County Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2008 7:53 pm

I attempted to contact by emails Midwest Dairy Institute manager Howard Manlove, Valley Queen Cheese Factory, Inc., milk procuror Jody Kuper and the Milbank Community Foundation in an attempt to find out if Citizens for a Growing Grant County Economy, LLC, is a real organization.

Last edited by lightninboy on Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
lightninboy
Super Poster
Super Poster

PostSubject: Re: Concerned Citizens of Grant County   Concerned Citizens of Grant County Icon_minitimeFri Oct 31, 2008 5:05 pm

I made contact with the Grant County Economic Development Corporation heads, and the Grant County Economic Development Corporation is to discuss the Concerned Citizens of Grant County at its next meeting.

I attempted to contact Bill Schuneman, president of Milbank Community Foundation, which has Midwest Dairy Institute.

Last edited by lightninboy on Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
lightninboy
Super Poster
Super Poster

PostSubject: Re: Concerned Citizens of Grant County   Concerned Citizens of Grant County Icon_minitimeFri Oct 31, 2008 7:50 pm

Here is information I found online about the Milbank Community Foundation and the Midwest Dairy Institute:

Milbank Community Foundation
Address: 48051 153rd Street
City, State, Zip: Milbank, SD-57252
(605) 432-9000
Email: finance@milbankcf.org
Internet Site: http://www.milbankcf.org
Grant Purpose: The purpose of the Milbank Community Foundation is to broaden the opportunities for social, cultural, educational and recreational development for all residents of the Milbank area. The Milbank Community Foundation is a non-profit 501 (c)(3), created to receive and invest permanent gifts and distribute earning for charitable purposes. As a community foundation, the Milbank Community Foundation is a collection of separately endowed funds, with the mission of improving the quality of life in the Milbank area.
Officers/Directors/Donors: Bill Schuneman, President; Mark Leddy, Vice President; Chuck Munson, Secretary; Camille Reynen Treasurer. DIRECTORS: Richard Lentz; Gwen Biersbach; Mark Biersbach, Russ Fisher, Don Hasslen, Gary Lindeman; Jason Seurer, Rudy Nef, Kerry Fish, & Tana Mundwiler
Date of Data: 5/12/2008

http://apps.sd.gov/applications/de100sdgrantdir/Default.asp?EID=3&RID=1b&record=349

Published Friday, June 01, 2001
The Chalet is, in fact, a perfect example of a community working together. The new educational center located at the Midwest Dairy Institute (MDI) was dedicated in early June. The Chalet is an 8,500-square-foot building designed to resemble a Swiss Chalet. The facility will serve the MDI as a classroom and seminar location for students, interns, and dairy farmers. It contains classrooms, laboratory, library, educational displays, and seminar rooms.
The MDI is a fund of the Milbank Community Foundation and one of its most complex projects. Boos explains the MDI mission - "We realized we needed to train individuals for employment in the dairy industry, so we created the MDI to provide trained workers for that industry."
As with other joint community projects, it's working. "We are attracting attention from large dairies considering a move to this area. It also provides training for people who want to come to or stay in the area, so we consider this one way to keep and create jobs here," Boos adds. "It's one way we can keep young people home on the farm."
Boos, who is also an attorney, stresses, "Dairy farming is very important here. Dairying is not simple. It is important to make sure we have more uniform procedures and policies and do all we can to help sustain dairy farm operations."
The MDI Chalet is a gift from the Nef and Gonzenbach descendants.

http://www.prairiebizmag.com/articles/index.cfm?id=99§ion=News

Year Started: 1993

http://www.manta.com/coms2/dnbcompany_8jm9ml

Last updated: December 11, 1997
Mission:
The mission of the Milbank Community Foundation is to improve the quality of life by providing recreational, educational, health and cultural opportunities for area residents.

http://www.idealist.org/if/i/en/av/Org/11606-297

January 20, 2003
The Nef and Gonzenbach families also established the Midwest Dairy Institute last year in conjunction with the Milbank Community Foundation. This institute trains area farmers in the latest technologies and data so that they can remain competitive. The Midwest Dairy Institute consists of a working dairy farm with 600 cows, classrooms and a visitor center, which is designed in the style of a Swiss chalet to honor the families' heritage. Plans are underway to expand the institute's herd to 1,500 cows.

http://www.idfa.org/news/releases/2003/laureate012003.cfm

The Milbank Community Foundation, which owns the dairy, wanted to expand from 1,400 to 2,400 head and needed an effective way to manage the additional manure. The foundation board decided that a digester project would provide a valuable demonstration for South Dakota's dairy industry. The electricity it generated was a value-added product, explained dairy Energy Maintenance Manager Jeff Loutsch. "This kind of system offers a lot of potential benefits for a dairy but first and foremost, it's an odor control strategy," he said.

http://www.wapa.gov/es/pubs/esb/2006/dec/dec068.htm

June 2006
Near Milbank, Midwest Dairy Institute installed a
huge anaerobic digester – the first at an animal
confinement operation in South Dakota. This 1,400-
head dairy farm is unique – it is owned by the Milbank
Community Foundation. In addition to being an
economic asset to the community, this innovative dairy
serves as an education center helping dairymen to
develop skills for modern dairies.

http://www.siouxvalleyenergy.com/WhatsNew/SVEjune06_Issue.pdf

Turns out, there's been a place like that since 1998 -- the Midwest Dairy Institute in Milbank, S.D. -- a real-life "cow college," designed to build the knowledge base in the tri-state area.
The institute is a working farm -- a project of the Milbank Community Foundation, founded by former executives of Valley Queen Dairy, also based in Milbank. (The foundation also runs a local recreational center.) The minute you drive onto the place, you know this is unusual.
Immediately there's the signature "chalet" headquarters, with its Alpinesque roof, flags and decorations, including quaint flower baskets and a silhouette cut-out of a Swiss farmer, herding cows with huge Swiss bells.
Behind that, there's a gleaming set of buildings being geared up to house 2,400 milk cows. Out of sight is a state-of-the art methane...

http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2/summary_0286-16250749_ITM

Alvaro Garcia has served as a private consultant and an instructor for the Midwest Dairy Institute and other public and private groups.
The Midwest Dairy Institute is a private institution that trains herdsmen in Milbank, SD. Tuition costs are paid with part of the wages earned by the student while he is working on a hands-on environment and lectures.

http://www.entrepreneurship.fiu.edu/usaid/success_stories.htm

Midwest Dairy Institute
300 cow dairy purchased in 1998 Milbank Community Foundation
Donors are a family owned dairy processing facility
Model facility for information and education to the dairy farming community
Educational partnerships with SD State University and Lake Area Technical Institute
The dairy has grown to 2400 cows

http://meconsumers.com/Annual%20Meeting%202007/Fuel-Ahles.pdf

48047 153Rd St.
Milbank, South Dakota 57252
Description
We are committed to making the dairy industry in the Upper Midwest more profitable for all producers. As an information clearinghouse and educational center, it is our goal to help dairymen remain competitive in a changing world.
The Midwest Dairy Institute has intensive educational opportunities available for students who want to develop the specialized skills necessary in the modern dairy environment. Internships are available as well as extended farm manager training.
We hope you find our online resources helpful. If you would like more information on how MDI can help your dairy or prospective dairy, please call (605) 432-9000.

http://www.zoominfo.com/Search/CompanyDetail.aspx?CompanyID=66552470&cs=QFD94KWOs&IndustryBin=FOUNDATION&Product=recreational+activities&page=1&companyDesc=recreational+activities

December 6, 2007
Designed for 2,400 cows, Loutsch says MDI initially chose to install the digester when they increased their herd from 600 to 1,200.
MDI milks their cows three times a day. The barns are scraped during each milking.

http://www.tristateneighbor.com/articles/2007/12/09/tri_state_news/top_stories/news41.txt

To prevent the migration of Midwestern farmers to California, they founded the Midwest Dairy Institute (MDI) in 2001. The Institute serves as an educational center to help area farmers keep up with the latest technologies in dairy production.
The factory and the MDI are open to the public. For appointments, call (605) 432-9000.

http://www.spurensuchemidwest.org/a_swissvalley.htm

Last edited by lightninboy on Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:07 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
lightninboy
Super Poster
Super Poster

PostSubject: Re: Concerned Citizens of Grant County   Concerned Citizens of Grant County Icon_minitimeFri Oct 31, 2008 8:17 pm

I usually regard Duaine Marxen’s weekly column as rather harmless and irrelevant if I notice it at all. However, I thought he stepped into a potential minefield in his October 29, 2008 Grant County Review column, but most people would probably regard it as rather harmless and irrelevant if they notice it at all.

Ag Extension Extra
DUAINE MARXEN
Grant County Agricultural Agent

The term "carbon footprint" has become newsworthy especially as it would relate to the public awareness of global warming. There has been considerable blame leveled at the dairy industry for the production of methane during digestion which contributes to the problem. On the contrary, the vastly improved efficiency in the production of milk has greatly reduced the impact making it very "green", said a University of Illinois Extension dairy specialist.

"Using 1944 as the base year of comparison-and also the year of the largest number of dairy cows in the United States, the number of dairy cows has dropped from 25.6 million to 9.2 million cows while milk production has increased from 117 billion pounds to 186 billion pounds," said Mike Hutjens.

"Using pounds of carbon dioxide per gallon of milk as the carbon footprint value, the dairy industry’s footprint has dropped from 31 pounds in 1944 to 12 pounds per
gallon in 2007."

Dairy cattle's environmental impact continues in the news as global warming concerns are raised due to methane production and carbon dioxide relationships involved in the industry, he said.

"Dairy cows produce methane when digesting feed in the rumen. Methane has 25 times the impact of carbon dioxide," he said. "While a wide range of claims have been made, 6 percent of the total carbon footprint is from agriculture with dairy responsible for 11 percent of the total 6 percent, or 0.7 percent of the total."

Earlier this year, the National Academy of Science published a paper that addressed the improvement of milk production efficiency and the impact of organic dairy production compared to conventional production.

"The paper showed that if one million of the total nine million U.S. dairy cows produced 10 pounds more milk per day due to the adoption of technology, a number of positive impacts could be expected," said Hutjens.

"It would reduce by 157,000 the number of cows needed to produce the same level of milk. It would reduce by 219,000 hectares the land needed for feed production. It would reduce the emission of methane by 41 million kilograms annually. And it would reduce manure excretion by 2.8 million tons each year."

Switching to organic milk production would require 25 percent more cows than now used, 30 percent more land for feed production, 39 percent more nitrogen excretion, and a 13 percent increase in global warming potential.

What does this mean to consumers?

"For consumers, it means a careful analysis is required to determine if carbon footprint and global warming applications are more important than denying technology applications, especially when that technology does not change nutrient content of food or impact animal health," he said.

"For dairy managers, increasing milk production efficiency will reduce carbon footprint, improve nitrogen efficiency, and reduce global warming. Dairy managers who do this are increasingly more 'green'."

The bottom line, Hutjens said, is that when it comes to the environment; using fewer resources to produce more food will improve the carbon footprint.

Last edited by lightninboy on Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
lightninboy
Super Poster
Super Poster

PostSubject: Re: Concerned Citizens of Grant County   Concerned Citizens of Grant County Icon_minitimeFri Oct 31, 2008 9:50 pm

Do you realize how what University of Illinois Extension dairy specialist Mike Hutjens is saying and what DUAINE MARXEN Grant County Agricultural Agent has bought into and is dispensing to Grant County could be applied? That only the most modern dairy technology should be used and that the very worst form of dairy farming is organic dairy farming or else we’re gonna have global warming! What kind of dairy farming does Mike Hutjens advocate? GMO crops grown with chemicals and cows injected with rBST.

The process of making fertilizer releases greenhouse gases in both production and usage.

http://www.indyweek.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid%3A194735

Whether organic or no-till farming best minimizes the agricultural world’s carbon footprint is still up in the air, according to a long-term US cropping systems trial published in Agronomy.
Michel Cavigelli, a research soil scientist at the Animal and Natural Resources Institute of the U.S. Department of Agriculture, was the lead scientist on the trial published in Agronomy that compares organic and no-till farming methods.

http://www.ruralnetwork.co.nz/no-till-organic-carbon-footprint-much-the-same/

The Truth About Organic Foods
By Alex Avery
Global warming hysteria and the concept of the carbon footprint, in particular, have been debunked many times in this column already.

http://www.thetruthaboutorganicfoods.org/2007/06/

Here we have Alex Avery, chemically-grown foods advocate, saying we need not worry about global warming and carbon footprints. But in other places there are chemically-grown foods advocates touting chemically-grown foods as an answer to global warming and carbon footprints. Do you see it, people? Chemically-grown foods advocates will use any means possible to advocate chemically-grown foods!

Norman Bourlag, the Nobel Peace Prize winner and founder of the "green revolution," argues that organic farming techniques produce lower crop yields than conventional methods and therefore require greater land use to produce an equivalent quantity of food. It has been similarly argued that the lower crop yields from organic farming require more energy per ton of food grown, increasing the carbon footprint of the food.

http://www.greenyour.com/lifestyle/baby/baby-food/tips/choose-pre-made-organic-baby-food

“If you go organic, you eliminate fossil fuel, which is the primary carbon footprint around food,” Tim LaSalle, chief executive of the Rodale Institute, said. “If we converted every farm in the United States to our methods, we could take out about a quarter of the greenhouse gases. There is nothing else that big out there.”

http://bikeprovidence.org/2008/05/22/from-todays-climatewire-newsletter-green-buildings-smart-growth-obesity

Does the Farm Bureau believe in global warming? Apparently not.

http://www.fb.org/index.php?fuseaction=newsroom.focusfocus&year=2001&file=fo1203.html

But the Farm Bureau and the Farmers Union believe in selling carbon credits to people who do.

http://sdfb.fb.org/newsreleases/2006%20Carbon%20Credit%20Market.htm

http://nfu.org/issues/environment/carbon-credits

http://newsbusters.org/node/10989

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article1687531.ece

Mike Hutjens said "For consumers, it means a careful analysis is required to determine if carbon footprint and global warming applications are more important than denying technology applications, especially when that technology does not change nutrient content of food or impact animal health."

Does rBST change nutrient content of food or impact animal health?

Studies in Canada and the European Union have indicated that the use of rBST DOES affect both the health of the cows and possibly human health. Consequently, neither Canada nor the EU allow the use of rBST. rBST acts to overwork the cow by physically altering the amount of milk produced, thereby stressing the cow. A stressed cow, like people, will be more likely to get sick. A sick cow, not only receives antibiotics on a conventional dairy, it does not remain in a herd for as long and will most likely have a shorter life span.
Some of the studies on rBST also indicate potential problems with human health from ingesting milk from cows that have been given rBST. The research shows rBST milk contains an increased level of insulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF-1) which various studies link to colon or breast cancer. Nothing seems clear but strong questions exist and continue to be a concern.

http://www.theorganicreport.com/pages/562_why_we_don_t_use_genetically_engineered_bovine_growth_hormone.cfm

The use of rBST is usually reserved for cows who have already reached the end of their lives, in an attempt to extract more milk from them. These cows may have a difficult end of life, with some experiencing broken limbs due to calcium deficiency because their excessive milk production has stripped the calcium from their bones. These cows may also be undernourished, because all of the energy they derive from food goes into milk production.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-does-rbst-free-mean.htm

One of the most harmful ingredients in cows milk is rbST, also known as Posilac or bovine growth hormone. This hormone is injected into almost every dairy cow in America due to its' effect on higher milk yield. However, research shows that rbST not only ends up in store bought milk, but it ends up damaging the human body. Posilac is very similar to human growth hormone, and causes adverse effects in the human body such as pre-mature puberty and cancer.

http://posilac.blogspot.com/2008/03/harmful-effects-of-igfi-found-in-humans.html

Was there a milk shortage in the U.S. that rBST was intended to alleviate?
Just the opposite - in the last 20 years, there have been several occasions when hundreds of thousands of dairy cows were slaughtered because there was too much milk on the market.

http://whatisrbst.org/

No rBST or rBGH
Artificial growth hormones pushed into the food chain by giant agriculture chemical companies attacks the health of cows, dramatically shortens their lives and may leach into the foods you buy.

http://www.grasspoint.com/cows.htm

bST is a natural protein produced in the pituitary glands of cattle. Milk from cows receiving supplemental bST is unchanged.

http://www.feedstuffsfoodlink.com/ME2/dirsect.asp?sid=6511F11E606A4EF285B44421CA9E7310&nm=Bovine+somatotropin

Are milk and meat from bST-supplemented cows safe?
YES!, says Cornell University.

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~ear/CORBST.html

I saw there is non-rBST milk available in the grocery store in Milbank.

What do you think?
Back to top Go down
lightninboy
Super Poster
Super Poster

PostSubject: Re: Concerned Citizens of Grant County   Concerned Citizens of Grant County Icon_minitimeWed Nov 05, 2008 1:40 pm

The Grant County Economic Development Corporation believes that mega-dairies are economic development and should be allowed one-half mile from a residence or well. Here is its Board of Directors.

http://www.milbanksd.com/economic/staff.cfm?id=2

Last edited by lightninboy on Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Concerned Citizens of Grant County   Concerned Citizens of Grant County Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Concerned Citizens of Grant County
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next