Big Stone Lake Area Community Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place where Big Stone Lake (and surrounding) area citizens can discuss area news, events and matters of concern.

PortalHomeGalleryConcerned Citizens of Grant County - Page 2 Coolte22Latest imagesSearchConcerned Citizens of Grant County - Page 2 Coolte24Log inRegister

Concerned Citizens of Grant County

Go down 
+3
mythoughts
mouthpiece
lightninboy
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
farmhand
farmhand

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2008-11-05

Concerned Citizens of Grant County - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Concerned Citizens of Grant County   Concerned Citizens of Grant County - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 05, 2008 2:44 pm

Lightningboy,

Do you drink milk, eat cheese, vegtables, fruit? If you do arn't you scared a foreighner thats illegal might have touched them and contaminated you? Well I think your still living so the there probably isnt anything wrong with the products and who touched them. are you racist?

I dont know what your trying to get at with all the emails to several businesses and organizations. You have no credibility or credentials that warrants them giving you there information. Why should they give it to you? Why do you think you are having a hard time getting emails returned? You have no credibility. You really need to think about giving up on posting. If I were a business man who answered your email, I wouldnt want that posted to a forum. That is why email is private. I hope everyone blackballs you and never returns an email to you, just for the fact that you go and post emails on every cotton pickin forum on the internet.

Thank you and dont have a good day
Back to top Go down
lightninboy
Super Poster
Super Poster

Number of posts : 198
Registration date : 2008-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Concerned Citizens of Grant County   Concerned Citizens of Grant County - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 05, 2008 7:31 pm

Dear farmhand,
Thank you for your reply. I prefer talking to a person right on the forum.

farmhand wrote:

Do you drink milk, eat cheese, vegtables, fruit? If you do arn't you scared a foreighner thats illegal might have touched them and contaminated you? Well I think your still living so the there probably isnt anything wrong with the products and who touched them.

I am not picky about what I eat, but maybe I should be.

farmhand wrote:

are you racist?

I am concerned about the NAFTA and CAFTA which forced the foreigners off of their land and the US agribusinesses which hire them and force US family farmers off of their land.

farmhand wrote:

I dont know what your trying to get at with all the emails to several businesses and organizations. You have no credibility or credentials that warrants them giving you there information. Why should they give it to you? Why do you think you are having a hard time getting emails returned? You have no credibility. You really need to think about giving up on posting. If I were a business man who answered your email, I wouldnt want that posted to a forum. That is why email is private. I hope everyone blackballs you and never returns an email to you, just for the fact that you go and post emails on every cotton pickin forum on the internet.

If this stuff isn't brought out, the same old runaround will continue.
Back to top Go down
lightninboy
Super Poster
Super Poster

PostSubject: Re: Concerned Citizens of Grant County   Concerned Citizens of Grant County - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 05, 2008 10:27 pm

Duaine Marxen, Grant County Agricultural Agent, mentioned rBST in his November 5, 2008 column:

The loss of the use of rBST has certainly been a massive inconvenience for the dairy industry. It was a product that made the production of milk more profitable along with helping on the reproductive aspect of the herd. With that said, a dairy operation's reproductive efficiency is more critical than ever, said a Purdue University expert.
Allen Bridges, expert in reproductive management, said with the loss of recombinant bovine somatotropin (rBST)-which increased milk production by 10 percent to 15 percent, and, in some cases, was demonstrated to increase fertility in lactating cows-producers are again struggling with reproductive efficiency in their herds.

www.ces.purdue.edu/extmedia/AS/AS-589-W.pdf

I have emailed Duaine Marxen to find out more about rBST.
Back to top Go down
farmhand
farmhand

PostSubject: Re: Concerned Citizens of Grant County   Concerned Citizens of Grant County - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 8:39 am

Von not so Lighting mcrea

did I finally get something through your head that you shouldnt have been posting emails to forums all along or did some of the business men get after you.
Back to top Go down
Lady Hawk
Admin
Admin
Lady Hawk

Number of posts : 622
Job/hobbies : Wife/Mother
Registration date : 2008-05-16

PostSubject: What ever happened to civility....   Concerned Citizens of Grant County - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 10:23 am

First off I would like to thank you lightninboy for editing your posts. They are much more understandable for people to read. I did delete two of your posts. In one you stated that you wanted it deleted and the other one was a duplicate of another post. I enjoyed our phone conversation and do encourage you to use the forums to express your views in a respectful way.

That is the purpose of The Forums to allow people to express their views. We will not all agree but we all have a right to express them just the same. That is what makes communities healthy. No one group should be oppressed because others do not want to hear what they have to say.

Let us all remain courteous on one another and remember that while civility may sometimes seem difficult it is respected by all.

farmhand, I want to welcome you to The Forums. Your previous post on this thread had some valid points. I contacted lightninboy and found him to be a very agreeable man who could accept constructive criticism and quickly responded by editing his own posts. I do hope to find you as mannerly.

While your post had valid points, your tenor could be viewed as less than respectful. As you have not identified yourself farmhand I wasn't able to call you and get your side. That is not a problem as you are allowed to not identify yourself. However remaining anonymous is not a license to be rude. You might consider thanking lightninboy for correcting the emails you found offensive instead of poking another dig at him.

I am sure you have many valid points to make about this issue and I look forward to reading what you and lightninboy have to say to one another about it.

Keep in mind that you both seem passionate in your beliefs and it is not likely that either one of you will change. But that is not the point. What the two of you can do is express your passionate beliefs (albeit respectfully) for those like me who are unfamiliar about it and need to hear both sides.

I look forward to reading more about this.
Back to top Go down
lightninboy
Super Poster
Super Poster

PostSubject: Re: Concerned Citizens of Grant County   Concerned Citizens of Grant County - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 06, 2008 3:29 pm

I received a reply from Duaine Marxen, Grant County Agricultural Agent. He said that he is not about to defend rBST in an argument. He just reports material from land grant universities which can be looked up by anyone. He said he was a dairy farmer who used rBST to increase his milk production at very little cost.

I have been researching rBST lately. I have found some interesting stuff.

People who say that rBST is safe say that milk is milk. But I have seen that Ron Gorewit patented the technology for a test in 1995 that tells rBST milk from non-rBST milk.

http://www.zianet.com/boje/Tamara/issues/volume_1/issue_1_2/2Cohen_Corp_Predators.htm

http://www.cornelldairyresearch.com/downloads/milkweed_bst_1.pdf

People who say that rBST is safe say that there are studies so there is no doubt that rBST milk is safe. What about all those studies?

http://www.unbossed.com/index.php?itemid=1928

A good place to go to research the effects of rBST on cows is The Humane Society of the United States.

http://www.hsus.org/farm/resources/research/welfare/welfare_dairy.html
Back to top Go down
lightninboy
Super Poster
Super Poster

PostSubject: Re: Concerned Citizens of Grant County   Concerned Citizens of Grant County - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 07, 2008 6:42 pm

Citizens for a Growing Grant County Economy, LLC, is a registered South Dakota company.

http://apps.sd.gov/applications/st32cprs/AllDocuments.aspx?&BID=DL017045&query=citizens+for+a+growing+grant+county+economy

http://apps.sd.gov/applications/st32cprs/DisplayImage.aspx?DocGuid=7401bc8c-00d3-495b-82f7-9547582065f0#navpanes=0

But the question remains: who is a member of Citizens for a Growing Grant County Economy, LLC, besides Howard Manlove?

I am still waiting for a reply from Bill Schuneman, president of Milbank Community Foundation which has Midwest Dairy Institute which Howard Manlove works at.

I have sent Milbank Community Foundation director Jason Seurer some questions since I did not receive a reply from Bill Schuneman:
What law says that MCF and MDI can't reveal to the public that its immigrant workers are legal?
What would it take for MCF and MDI to reveal the immigrant laborer identification records? An ICE raid?
Since there is such a promotion for dairies with immigrant workers, wouldn't it be a good idea for MCF and MDI to offer the public classes on how to see to it that illegal immigrants and their employers get busted?
Tell me just how the Milbank Community Foundation runs the 2000-cow Midwest Dairy Institute without violating non-profit organization status.
Do you know who any of the members of Citizens for a Growing Grant County Economy, LLC, are besides Howard Manlove?

Last edited by lightninboy on Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
farmhand
farmhand

PostSubject: future of family farms- story out of the WTN PO   Concerned Citizens of Grant County - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 08, 2008 8:24 pm

Dairy marks expansion, fifth generation

By Terry O’Keefe, Staff Writer

Published: Saturday, November 8, 2008 4:01 AM CST
KRANZBURG — What is likely the oldest continually-operating dairy in northeast South Dakota held a bit of a celebration last weekend.

When MoDak Dairy unveiled its new 1,500-head facility last Saturday, it marked another page in a story that dates back nearly 125 years.

Greg and Jim Moes are the fourth generation of their family to operate the dairy which was started by their great-grandparents in 1884. Their children who are now gradually taking over operation will be the fifth generation to run the farm.

A beautiful fall day greeted the hundreds of visitors who stopped by the farm a mile northeast of Kranzburg during an open house to celebrate the completion of the expansion project. The new barns and milking parlor were opened and folks young and old toured the buildings, had some lunch and visited with the Moes family and others from the dairy and farming industry. When Greg Moes’ young grandchildren came running up, he introduced them as “the sixth generation” of MoDak Dairy.

It’s obvious the changes that farming and the dairy have been through since John and Elizabeth Moes first occupied what was railroad land in 1884, but the most recent changes have probably been the most dramatic.

The first phase of the expansion project included barns that are 650 by 300 feet long. The next phase will add another 300 feet and probably be done next spring.

As Greg and Jim move closer to retirement, they are also setting the stage for the next generation to take over and look to the future on the same farm their great-great-grandparents established. Now, after spending a couple of years away from the operation, Greg’s son, Scott, 28, has come back home and he and other younger family members are poised to move the dairy to the next level.

Scott now works as herd manager, while his cousin, Jim’s daughter, Nicole, is the accountant for the business and her husband, Eric, acts as general manager.

Now milking about 800 cows twice a day, the dairy will grow and expand to the point it will meet its 1,500-head permit Greg and Scott said.

“We want to have it at capacity by next year,” Scott Moes said.

The two men were planning on heading over to Pipestone, Minn., to buy out a herd of 40 milk cows earlier this week.

Greg explains that when his great-grandparents established the farm more than a century ago, everyone was very diversified when it came to farming. A few cows, a few pigs, some chickens, crops, a garden, etc.

That continued for the Moes family until the 1970s when a fire at a new barn for the pigs brought about some change.

“We had always been diversified until 1972,” Greg said. “Fire destroyed part of the new barn (for hogs) and then we converted,” he said. “In 1976 we built a new milking parlor — a double eight — and milked 120 cows.”

Of course, that pales compared to the operation they have today, but Greg puts that somewhat into perspective.

“That’s how we did it (back then),” he said. “We started with 120, the we added 60 (cows).

“That was pretty big when you could add 60.”

In 1976, Greg says the family farmed about 600 acres of land. Now they farm about 4,000 and none of it used as cash crop, all going toward feed for their dairy herd. Besides that, they also buy and grind alfalfa from and for their neighbors, a side business that continues to grow.

But the dairy itself is the actual future of the family operation. After nearly 125 years, they seem to have hit on a pretty good mix of in-house and outside business to keep another generation or two going.

The dairy now milks twice a day and fills two tanker trucks with milk each day for Valley Queen Cheese in Milbank. When they get into full production, MoDak Dairy will milk three times a day and fill three of those tanker trucks each day.

But the future of the dairy relies on this expansion, Greg said, saying if his and Jim’s children are to build upon the dairy their ancestors established, they have to follow this path. His mother, Eileen, has a photo album of the history of the farming operation and her pride in the fact that her children and grandchildren have followed along the same footpaths as the family before is obvious. Greg said that is key to the family strategy.

“People ask, why are you doing this — why are you putting all this money and work into a dairy,” Greg said. “Well, if my dad and his dad and his dad hadn’t done this, we wouldn’t be here. We enjoy this business.”

But there is also a lot of reality to this plan. The family is proud of the fact that, after 125 years, the farm established in 1884 has never been sold by the family, but in order to keep that going, there has to be changes in the operation.

Scott, his cousin Nicole and husband Eric and their families will depend on the success of the dairy to make their living.

“We would like to eventually get them (his father and uncle) bought out,” Scott said. “Eventually.”

Greg puts a finer point on it.

“If we want to be milking cows in 10 years, this is the size we’re going to have to be,” he said. “These guys (gesturing at Scott), that will affect their lifestyles.

“We have to have this growth.”
Back to top Go down
lightninboy
Super Poster
Super Poster

PostSubject: Re: Concerned Citizens of Grant County   Concerned Citizens of Grant County - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 08, 2008 8:50 pm

farmhand, it is probably not necessary to reprint the entire Watertown Public Opinion article about MoDak Dairy.

Why do you think dairy farms must milk 1,500 cows?
Back to top Go down
Lady Hawk
Admin
Admin
Lady Hawk

PostSubject: Re: Concerned Citizens of Grant County   Concerned Citizens of Grant County - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 09, 2008 1:10 am

Nice article farmhand. cowboy I enjoyed reading it.

I'm glad you included the name of the original writer. You included the name of the newspaper in your title but used an acronym because of space. You might consider putting the complete name of the newspaper in the post itself so they are sure to be recognized.

It is good to see families work together to keep their farms alive. cowboy cowgirl I am sure they must all work very hard.

You should also make a comment when you post an article. It is always proper to explain why you are posting the article or what you thought was important about it.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
t5l5m
t5l5m

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2008-11-11

PostSubject: Re: Concerned Citizens of Grant County   Concerned Citizens of Grant County - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 11, 2008 11:26 am

Dear Lightninboy,

I have been following the information in this forum for some time now. The exchange between Linda and yourself was quite interesting and stuck to the subject at hand (CAFO’s and the regulations). I enjoyed seeing how both sides came up with something new to think about. Now, your posts appear to be a vendetta aimed at MCF (not a CAFO) and MDI. I am having a hard time following what you are trying to accomplish with your latest posts. What does it matter who is in the LLC with Howard Manlove? (I personally do not care and don’t think anyone else that has been reading this doesn’t either.) And you are presuming that Bill Schuneman would know who is in Howard's LLC just because he works for MDI and Bill is on the board (some people do have a life outside of work). There have been no new ads in the local papers between the two sides, so I presumed all was back to “normal” again with the big controversy.

If I could give you any advise, I would suggest you find yourself a nice church to help you with all of your pent up hatred.

I would also like to comment on a few of your comments.

I am concerned about the NAFTA and CAFTA which forced the foreigners off of their land and the US agribusinesses which hire them and force US family farmers off of their land.

There are several ways the family farmers are forced off their land. First, many of the younger generation watched their father work himself to the bone for little of nothing and has decided a college education and a job in the city with weekends off is the way he/she wants to go. When it’s time to retire, the farm is sold or leased out to the farmer down the road, that is getting bigger and bigger. Second, overextending themselves (which sometimes is partly due to the bank saying,”no problem here is some more money for you”) along with the poor business management is the other reason why the family farmer is forced to sell his farm. The fact is, you can no longer be just a farmer as was the deal in the past, you have to be a savvy businessman in order for it to work. And that generally means you have to have plenty of land or in the case of a dairy, a substantial herd to make ends meet.

You also made a comment a while back that you would rather see 57 - 100 cow dairies. Do you in all seriousness think that is reasonable or profitable? And where on earth are you going to find 57 young farmers that want to work 24/7 (and go so far into debt that they will almost be retired before it's paid off)? Because on a 100 cow dairy, you aren’t going to make enough money to hire someone to help you – I guess you could have 5 or 6 kids and make them do the work, but then you will need to add more cows to feed, clothe and support your large family. And you will want to grow so if your children do want to come back to the farm, there is enough land and cows to support another generation.

The family farm as I knew it growing up is becoming a thing of the past. Farming is now a business and has to be run as such. I am not saying bigger is better, but the reality is that economics are forcing the family farm to become bigger.

Your comment yesterday – Why do they have to milk 1500 cows?

The answer – to support their “family farm” . See, the family farm is becoming bigger and bigger – not 100 cows.
Back to top Go down
farmhand
farmhand

PostSubject: Re: Concerned Citizens of Grant County   Concerned Citizens of Grant County - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 11, 2008 12:53 pm

lightninboy wrote:
farmhand, it is probably not necessary to reprint the entire Watertown Public Opinion article about MoDak Dairy.

Von-

It is probably not necessary for you to post personal emails you exchanged with members of businesses in milbank and united ag, etc to the forum and the madville times.
Back to top Go down
lightninboy
Super Poster
Super Poster

PostSubject: Re: Concerned Citizens of Grant County   Concerned Citizens of Grant County - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 11, 2008 6:20 pm

farmhand wrote:

Von-

It is probably not necessary for you to post personal emails you exchanged with members of businesses in milbank and united ag, etc to the forum and the madville times.
Dear farmhand,

If it is okay with Lady Hawk that you paste the entire Watertown Public Opinion article about MoDak Dairy, it is okay with me.

Back to top Go down
lightninboy
Super Poster
Super Poster

PostSubject: Re: Concerned Citizens of Grant County   Concerned Citizens of Grant County - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 11, 2008 7:03 pm

t5l5m wrote:

Now, your posts appear to be a vendetta aimed at MCF (not a CAFO) and MDI.

MCF has MDI.

t5l5m wrote:

What does it matter who is in the LLC with Howard Manlove? (I personally do not care and don’t think anyone else that has been reading this doesn’t either.)

If Citizens for a Growing Grant County Economy, LLC, makes claims in the newspaper, shouldn’t they back up what they say by revealing who they are when asked?

t5l5m wrote:

And you are presuming that Bill Schuneman would know who is in Howard's LLC just because he works for MDI and Bill is on the board (some people do have a life outside of work).

If Howard Manlove is not willing to reveal who the officers and some members of Citizens for a Growing Grant County Economy, LLC, are, who would be more logical to ask? Valley Queen Cheese Factory, Inc.? Obviously Milbank Community Foundation and Valley Queen Cheese Factory, Inc., would agree with what Citizens for a Growing Grant County Economy, LLC, was publishing in the Grant County Review, since Milbank Community Foundation runs Midwest Dairy Institute as a dairy CAFO training center and Valley Queen Cheese Factory, Inc., wants more milk available to procure.

t5l5m wrote:

There are several ways the family farmers are forced off their land. First, many of the younger generation watched their father work himself to the bone for little of nothing and has decided a college education and a job in the city with weekends off is the way he/she wants to go. When it’s time to retire, the farm is sold or leased out to the farmer down the road, that is getting bigger and bigger. Second, overextending themselves (which sometimes is partly due to the bank saying,”no problem here is some more money for you”) along with the poor business management is the other reason why the family farmer is forced to sell his farm.

The small family dairy farms selling milk to Valley Queen Cheese Factory, Inc., are not necessarily forced off of their land: they are just forced to quit selling milk to Valley Queen Cheese Factory, Inc., right?

t5l5m wrote:

You also made a comment a while back that you would rather see 57 - 100 cow dairies. Do you in all seriousness think that is reasonable or profitable?

I think it is reasonable and I think it ought to be profitable. A 100-cow dairy used to be considered large, and if a 100-cow dairy cannot be profitable as a full-time occupation or as a sideline, something is wrong with the milk buyer or the government or somewhere.

t5l5m wrote:

And where on earth are you going to find 57 young farmers that want to work 24/7 And where on earth are you going to find 57 young farmers that want to work 24/7 (and go so far into debt that they will almost be retired before it's paid off)? Because on a 100 cow dairy, you aren’t going to make enough money to hire someone to help you – I guess you could have 5 or 6 kids and make them do the work, but then you will need to add more cows to feed, clothe and support your large family. And you will want to grow so if your children do want to come back to the farm, there is enough land and cows to support another generation.

The family farm as I knew it growing up is becoming a thing of the past. Farming is now a business and has to be run as such. I am not saying bigger is better, but the reality is that economics are forcing the family farm to become bigger.

Your comment yesterday – Why do they have to milk 1500 cows?

The answer – to support their “family farm” . See, the family farm is becoming bigger and bigger – not 100 cows.

If a 100-cow dairy takes a lifetime of work and payments, how in the world will a farmer have less work and less payments with a 1,500-cow dairy? In other words, you want to take milk production out of the hands of the common family farmer.
Back to top Go down
joelie hicks
Power Poster
Power Poster
joelie hicks

Number of posts : 262
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Concerned Citizens of Grant County   Concerned Citizens of Grant County - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 11, 2008 8:45 pm

The article by Terry O'Keefe was interesting but I have questions. The biggest is....
Do only family members work there?
another...
What kind of debt are they carrying? You can say it is not my business but starting these large operations usually entails investors plus debt, it is not fair to vaunt this as a super success while ignoring this question.
Also there are a number of area dairies who are not only making a living with 30-150 cows, they are doing very well. They carry little or no debt and in quite a few cases no one must work an off the farm job to keep going. While they work hard, milking a small number of cows does not make prevent them from rest and recreation. A large family or 1 or 2 employees can be very efficient and usually diverse as far as crops and other livestock.
My husband is not a dairyman but he is a full time farmer, like some of the dairy people i refer to what he learned from his family is that farming is a rewarding occupation with some flexibility not usually found in other jobs. I am city born and raised but i would not trade this life for any other.
My husband has a degree in engineering physics, his brother went to vo-tech, they returned because they wanted this life and no other. Some of our kids want to return too. We want to see them have that opportunity. We will do what we can to protect this way of life for them and others.
On the other topic, quite a few of us have been interested from the begining about the identity of the board and directors of the group Citizens for Growing a Grant County Economy, why the secrecy? Besides encouraging cafo dairies what other ideas do they have for growing our local economy? Our group has been very open about who we are and what we stand for.
Back to top Go down
mouthpiece
Power Poster
Power Poster
mouthpiece

Number of posts : 721
Registration date : 2008-05-15

PostSubject: Are we lost!   Concerned Citizens of Grant County - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 11, 2008 10:55 pm

I found the personal attacks by farmhand clouding the issue and the second line of attack inappropriate.

I also note our newest member argues that young farmers are too lazy to work 24-7. That is offensive to my German work ethic. I would also point out that most of dairy production and crop production still derive from the family farm.Concerned Citizens of Grant County - Page 2 36_33_18Concerned Citizens of Grant County - Page 2 Image

Let's get to the point. Pres Bush believed in big business and big farms and supported corporate farming.

I suspect that is about to change!

A large farm will create nominal harm to the community.

A policy forcing young farmers off the farm and in their place 20 minimum wage jobs will destroy small towns as we know it.

Lightninboy, please do not criticize my fellow businessmen and attempt to personalize this issue. This detracts from the debate and makes your argument weaker.

I really believe your thread needs to be broken into separate threads. It is wandering all over the place.
Back to top Go down
lightninboy
Super Poster
Super Poster

PostSubject: Re: Concerned Citizens of Grant County   Concerned Citizens of Grant County - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2008 8:50 pm

mouthpiece,
Thank you for your opposition to factory farms.

Yes, there could be a lot of young people who would like to have a family farm if they had a realistic expectation of success.

I have come to believe that the Republican Party is basically controlled by Rockefeller Republican types, which makes sense when you think about it.

Hopefully more Democrats in government will be better for rural America, but I suspect the status quo will continue, especially in states with large Republican control.

If local businessmen wrongfully think that factory farms will bring economic development to the county, shouldn't they be corrected or exposed?
Back to top Go down
lightninboy
Super Poster
Super Poster

PostSubject: Re: Concerned Citizens of Grant County   Concerned Citizens of Grant County - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 16, 2008 7:12 pm

farmhand wrote:
I could forward emails to the public if I have the address to mail them to.
Back to top Go down
farmhand
farmhand

PostSubject: Re: Concerned Citizens of Grant County   Concerned Citizens of Grant County - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 17, 2008 3:28 pm

Nice to see another big CAFO dairy being built, should have been in kilborn, stubborn hypocrits out there

http://www.dairystar.com/main.asp?Search=1&ArticleID=2066&SectionID=1&SubSectionID=1&S=1
Back to top Go down
mouthpiece
Power Poster
Power Poster
mouthpiece

Number of posts : 721
Registration date : 2008-05-15

PostSubject: Farmhand and ligthninboy are not on topic!   Concerned Citizens of Grant County - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 17, 2008 4:58 pm

Farmhand and ligthninboy are not on topic!

The topic is should, we be promoting large feedlots in Grant County.

First the topic was narrow as to county and has become a personal attack instead of legitimizing an argument.

The feedlot in Kandiyohi County near Willmar, Minnesota has nothing to do with what is being done in Grant County.

Second, placing names of business people on a site to create hostility does not serve the parties or this site well.

Both sides are fair afield and continue to use this site to blow smoke.

We must learn to co-exist together even when we have large differences.

What I have gotten from this thread is that there is a demand for milk that is not being met and some argue we need to eliminate family farms and go to large corporate farms. The Republicans have supported this stream of thought.

This approach (policy) has been detrimental to rural communities. School and businesses struggle because of these policies.

On the other hand, milk production demands have been met and dairy related industries can again expand. This does provide a positive job creation but it is unclear whether this makes up for the loss of family farmers.

By the way, Kandiyohi is near my home town. The bigger dairy production county in Minnesota was Stearns county. Most certainly, the further west you get from Willmar the more you depend on crops and not dairy.

The debate needs to continue on this subject but I am concerned that it is now destructive criticism instead of contructive criticism.
Back to top Go down
Lady Hawk
Admin
Admin
Lady Hawk

PostSubject: This topic is being locked.   Concerned Citizens of Grant County - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 17, 2008 5:06 pm

This thread is being locked because it has gotten off topic. confused
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Concerned Citizens of Grant County   Concerned Citizens of Grant County - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Concerned Citizens of Grant County
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2