Big Stone Lake Area Community Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place where Big Stone Lake (and surrounding) area citizens can discuss area news, events and matters of concern.

PortalHomeGalleryThe Truth About the Library Steps Coolte22Latest imagesSearchThe Truth About the Library Steps Coolte24Log inRegister

The Truth About the Library Steps

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2008-06-03

The Truth About the Library Steps Empty
PostSubject: The Truth About the Library Steps   The Truth About the Library Steps Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2008 4:53 pm

:study: On May 10, 2007 I presented my findings on obtaining a grant from the MN Historical Society to replace the front steps at the library. It was then taken to David Lang to get approval from the council to apply for the grant. We received the approval. I talked to Blair about someone to write the grant and he stated they had one with EDA but that money was used up. He suggested I talk to Burton Nypen. Burton and I worked on the initial grant and submitted it in June of 2007. I was put down as the Project Manager. I had no access to the financial aspects of what was needed to do the reporting, etc. Therefore, I told Mr. Lang that I would not be able to be the Project Manager. Blair and David made the executive decision that David would become the Project Manager. I never stated that I or the Library Board would not get quotes and recommend such to the council Additional information was sent in by Burton Nypen with David's help. We received a letter on November 16, 2007 stating we had been awarded the grant. David was to sign the paper and return accepting the grant. I received a call from the MN Historical Society in January of 2008 wondering if we no longer were interested in the grant, because the paper accepting the grant had not been returned. I contacted David and he signed and returned form. The City received a check from the MN Historical Society in February for $5,000, the matching amount. At the March meeting of the Library Board it was recommended that the council do what they have to do to get the contractor hired as soon as possible. The concern was we all know the contractor's line up their work early. Mr. Lang stated the frost wasn't even out of the ground yet. Bob Meyer came to me the beginning of June and wondered when the steps had to be done. I looked--June 1. We were already past. I made a call to the Historic Society on JUne 3rd and they stated we could submit a request for an extention, which Blair did for September 1. It was a July meeting before there was mention by David to start looking for a contractor. When there was none available, an additional extension was requested and received until November 1. The last two weeks the Library Board and myself have been trying to locate anyone to help us get these steps done. Bob Meyer talked to Ed Vollmer and he came by on Tuesday. While here I also talked to Ed about the foundation problems, which he also looked at. I was told Craig Randleman was here yesterday with someone from Lundberg Construction. Maybe we will get this done yet. This is written to make it clear that neither I nor the Library Board is at fault here. When we made the suggestions, we were told by David that he would handle it.
Back to top Go down
Lady Hawk
Admin
Admin
Lady Hawk

Number of posts : 622
Job/hobbies : Wife/Mother
Registration date : 2008-05-16

PostSubject: Ortonville Library Steps   The Truth About the Library Steps Icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2008 9:05 am

Thanks fuzzy for letting us know what has been happening.

Governmental projects seem sometimes to have glitches. Generally it is always better for a governmental official to face up to their mistakes instead of trying to pass it off on some other defenseless person.

Recently their was a woman who put up a metal building. I was at the meeting when she talked to the City Council. She made several comments about how she was told something by some governmental official and then found that it was not the case.

Perhaps people are better off if they get their agreements in writing.
Back to top Go down
baseball101
baseball101

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: We need more people to point out the regular cover-ups that occur in Ortonville government!   The Truth About the Library Steps Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2008 3:57 pm

We need more people to point out the regular cover-ups that occur in Ortonville government! applause

I have been aware of this cover up for about three months but I was waiting to see who Mr. Lang and Mr. Johnson would blame for their ineptitude.

One of the purposes of this forum is to stop the cover ups so that government can improve. It is important that employees not be gagged. The freedom of speech is lost when employees are precluded from telling the truth.

I commend you but I am concerned that you will face retribution. In the past this has been the course of conduct of those in power in this community.

If they do not agree with something you say then you are negative. The psychological phenomenon for this is "big fish, small bowl" syndrome.

It is people like you who will make this a better place to live. It is our responsibility to unravel unwarranted conver-ups of wrondoing.

Keep the faith you are supported by many who have read this thread and those who do not support you are not looking out for the bests interests of the Ortonville. I have talked to many people in this community who are will aware of the mistakes others have made.
Back to top Go down
computerwhiz
Admin
Admin
computerwhiz

Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2008-05-15

PostSubject: Re: The Truth About the Library Steps   The Truth About the Library Steps Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2008 4:36 pm

I was only aware that there was a problem as far as the steps were concerned, but I didn't understand the whole of what was going on.

Thank you so much Fuzzy for explaining everything and bringing this to the community's attention. applause
Back to top Go down
http://bigstonelakearearoyalty.blogspot.com
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2008-06-03

PostSubject: Re: The Truth About the Library Steps   The Truth About the Library Steps Icon_minitimeTue Oct 21, 2008 8:24 am

First off I am not a city employee. I am employed by the Pioneerland Library System. My employer is well aware of the situation in Ortonville with the steps and other items that have come up with the library. I have their FULL support. I have the letters, the emails, etc. to prove everything that was stated in my post. People who know me, know I am not afraid to speak out for something I believe in and for what I believe is right. The library is RIGHT for the people of Ortonville and Big Stone County and I am proud of our patrons for their belief if me and the Library.
Back to top Go down
mouthpiece
Power Poster
Power Poster
mouthpiece

Number of posts : 721
Registration date : 2008-05-15

PostSubject: Thanks for the Corrections!   The Truth About the Library Steps Icon_minitimeTue Oct 21, 2008 8:49 am

Thanks for the Corrections!

What a valuable tool this site is to immediately correct inadvertant errors.

All of us appreciate your loyalty to your employer and your willingness to be so forthright.

I hope the city of Ortonville appreciates your dedication. Here at the Forums we most certainly appreciate you!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Truth About the Library Steps   The Truth About the Library Steps Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Truth About the Library Steps
Page 1 of 1